Could someone v knowledgable take a look at these blood results

Twinkletoes

Visit site
Sorry, also in Vtn.

Awaiting second opinion from another veterinary practice, but wondered if anyone on here can help - I have had so much good advice from this forum in the past!

I have come close to ruling out ragwort poisoning as he Definately has had no exposure since Nov, and having contacted the previous owner, they have confirmed the land that I saw him on was the only field he had been turned out on, and this was very barren, coastal land, with no rw. Know this cant 100% gauruntee but it does lessen it as possible cause.
Has been wormed strictly since purchase in Nov, last wormed under 2 weeks ago.
Current vet has suggested a medicine (which I am picking up tomorrow) to give gelding a red blood cell 'boost' and to worm again, and to take further tests in a month. Slightly concerned about over worming but will do once more, he is calling back with confirmation of what to worm, even though they were done under 2 weeks ago as part of their programme that both geldings have been on since nov.

Can you from this offer any further suggestions on the results that were outside of the acceptable ranges :

Alkaline Phosphatase is 1254 - range says 228-620

GLDH is 10 - range says 1-9

LDH is 1731 - range says 0-1487

Bilirubin is 10.0 - range says 10-40

Phosphorus is 2.2 - range says 0.8-1.8

CK/CPK is 778 - range says 0-150

I am posting this in the hope that someone on here can offer more advice than my vet. Suggested the increase in liver enzymes may not be significant but could indicated secondary hepatopathy but no evidence of hepatic dysfunction.

Help !x

lauraandjack

Visit site
I would say that the increase in liver enzymes is probably not that significant. Usually in cases of severe liver damage the values will be sky high. Only in the worst case scenario where there is no liver tissue left to release enzymes will they be normal, but by that stage the horse is usually showing obvious clinical signs such as jaundice and hepatic encephalopathy.

CK is usually an indication of muscle damage.
Did you have haematology done too? Anything exciting?

What is the story behind this guy?

kellyeaton

Visit site
the best way to no if a horses liver his damaged or has been damged is by bloods that run gamma gamma gt that is the best from of bloods to have done if you exspected any liver damage the way i know this is by the worlds best professor dr knotbelt from liverpool universteity he looked over my girls bloods when i found out she had liver diease. the liquid they are given you is this called vi sorbin?

Twinkletoes

Visit site
Yes, vi Sorbin. Have you used this? Thank you for the info and advice, I also have another vet calling me back tomorrow. The results I added were the only ones outside of the recommended levels.

kellyeaton

Visit site
yes i have used vi sorbin it worked very well on my mare! did you have full bloods done or just a liver profile?