Could someone...

Lila

Visit site
Please give me an understanding OH??

Mine just moans about how much my horse costs and how much time i spend with the donkey(aka JJ) and not him.

I'd love to get him involved with the horses (and maybe pick up a few more horses in the mean time ;))

How did you talk you none horsey OH into joining your hobby?

hellywelly1

Visit site
mine was non horsey but now well loves my boy more than me but i used to make him watch me ride and help and slowly over a yr i have him mucking out, poo picking, tacking up and starting to ride when my boy is a bit better.

just do it slowly n if he isnt a taker make him find a hobby he likes and do that while your at the yard:D

joeanne

Visit site
Mine occasionally moans about the costs involved etc etc etc, then comes home with a pony that has cost us just short of the national debt to put right:rolleyes:

Lila

Visit site
Lol its been 4 years now. AT first he would come with me now just laughs when i suggest it :(

The saddle iv asked for for £1000 he seems to think i dont need it. Can someone get intough and let him know i really do hehe

hellywelly1

Visit site
Lol its been 4 years now. AT first he would come with me now just laughs when i suggest it :(

The saddle iv asked for for £1000 he seems to think i dont need it. Can someone get intough and let him know i really do hehe

lol i feel for ya mine is totally different i say my boy needs something n he always fines a way but guess im just lucky

just keep doing what women apparently do according to most men and nagg :p

digitalangel

Visit site
mines fab! i am always reminded by the girls at the yard how lucky i am to have him!

He was a total city boy before we got together. He doesnt ride, but he does a fantastic job on the ground with them and he adores them. He has a particular bond with my mare after he looked after her when she lost her pregnancy in april. Hes the only person i know who she truly respects and hes never even raised her voice at her.

hes brill at yard jobs too and will always help me with the mucking out/turnout etc. I dont think we will ever have children, so in a way they are our kids!

SuperSonicMare

Visit site
My OH doesn't do horses!! He has ridden twice in 16yrs, both while on holiday! Hasnt as much as sat on one of my mine :( (though with current girlie I get why!!) He does sometimes moan about the cost, what a tie they are etc, however this morning he left me asleep & walked the 2 miles to my yard, with the dog (who is also "mine") to break the ice on the troughs & give them their haylage :D he's not so bad after all!!

Cop-Pop

Visit site
When I first met OH he was scared of horses, then he was jealous of them, now he's only marginally scared of them but still jealous of them lol

**Vanner**

Visit site
I'm so lucky my hubby wasn't into them at all when we first met but he encouraged me to go back to riding and realised how much pleasure it brings me. In fact he said when I had my first riding lesson after over 10 yrs out of the game "I couldn't pay enough money to see you so happy" - a traditional cob later lol and he is still keen.

He's wonderful on the ground with the horses and spends time playing with them (fancies himself as the new Monty Roberts I think!) He is superb at mucking out and does a great job at grooming. He has started riding and we part loan an older, steadier cob for him one day a week (my boy knows when he has a novice on :rolleyes:)

That said he's mine - he's wonderful and I know how lucky I am :D

Spyda

Visit site
Nope, mine doesn't like/tolerate horses either but as I remind him when necessary - I've had horses a lot longer than him and that I had them when he met me and that if he's not careful, I'll have them after he's gone too!!!! :D:D:D Must admit, after 14 years and 4 kids together I do have to say it a lot less these days.

Mine doesn't attend the yard with me but then I appreciate the space. He can mind the kids whilst I'm with the horses and, in return, I'll mind the kids when he's off "playing with his motorbike." [Revenge for him saying I'm out "playing with my horsey" :mad:]

I think as long as you don't take the p*** and spend way too much time at the yard to the detriment of the rest of your life and/or routinely spend more that you've (i) agreed for horse expenses or (ii) more that your joint budget can reasonably afford for a hobby, then your OH shouldn't be so clingy and/or insecure to unreasonably resent your absence and/or expenditure. I'd point this out.

legend22

Visit site
Mine is just wonderful! Hadn't even had a pet before we met. Now he has a horse, has a lesson every week (sometimes two...even went yesterday in all the snow!), feeds in the morning before work (he works very long hours to), helps muck out and does all the fencing etc. Handles the foals, shifts the hay, picks up the electric fencing they break, walks the dog, changed his beloved sports car for a Range Rover (no complaints there!)....the list goes on and on. Can't imagine what I did to deserve him!

Ali2

Visit site
I've just realised how fab mine is! I might moan that he spends more time gossiping at the yard than doing but actually he is fab.

He comes to the yard with me every morning and does hays, feeds and waters while I muck out for our own horse and for share pony. He's not got much riding in this year and hasn't competed at all due to work commitments but he's still there every morning :) He's great with spending money too - we're on the same page in wanting the horses to be happy, healthy and fit to do their jobs so is quite happy spending money on regular saddle, dental, physio checks, mineral analysis etc and on buying new kit when its required (and even if it isn't really but I want it LOL).

I'm feeling rather lucky now after having a think about that :)

My OH was non-horsey when I met him and I'd been out of it for about 6 years. I got back in to horses after a jousting day. Then I went on an intensive training week. I just mentioned to OH that they did a beginners course too, didn't push it just left him with that thought. Worked a treat, he hates to be left out! He went on the beginners course, had his first jump by the end of the week, loved it, had regular lessons for about a year then we got our first horse. I love it when a plan come together!!!!

Last edited:

riding_high

Visit site
mine is great where the animals are concerned! he will happily do a 12hour day driving lorries then go up the yard to either muck out alone or help me out if i'm either busy, kids are ill or i'm too ill.
he bought me my horse as an anniversary present then a few years later after alot of trouble with a few people (family members) and my horse being lame i was losing interest and not enjoying it like i used to so he bought me a youngster to 'play' with, he ended up buying 2 so we could do it together and we've had alot of fun doing it.

he tells people that if we only had £5 left and it was a choice of the kids needing something or the horses then i would get the horses first, in fact it's the other way around, he would buy the feed for the horses and regularly comes home from work with apples/carrots/pears for them. so i guess i'm lucky that he enjoys the horses as much as me.
oh and although he appreciated horses before i met him he never really got as involved as he does now, he doesn't ride but will gladly do anything on the ground with them all and also helps a few people up the yard with theirs, i've just got to teach him how to bandage now! :)

pip6

Visit site
Try doing an endurance ride. Male OH either get very keen on crewing (as it involves cars, maps, with time for a natter to other crews or to read to paper whilst waiting for rider to appear), or get so hooked they start to ride themselves. When they are also competing, there wont be any more moans!

Brambridge04

Visit site
My other half was relucant for me to get a horse, said he didnt like them and knew nothing....im now on my second youngster which, i am breaking this one and she adores him, he poo picks, grooms, makes feeds up, can change rugs, and is the leader when im sat on her for first few times....

Went to his works xmas day and some lady started talking to me, saying ohh ive heard a lot about your horse, i have one to....and proceed to inform me that my fella gives them her updates and has asked for tips etc advice so he can help me!

MissMincePie&Brandy

Visit site
I have the perfect OH - He's bought me a years subscription to the local cross country course for my xmas pressie :)

Mine has equally time consuming hobbies, like golf and fishing, so we're both out for hours doing our own thing and that works out fine. (sorry, it doesnt help you)

sadiedeb

Visit site
My OH is great - he'd only been near a horse once in his life - but knew when we moved to countryside I wanted to start horse riding (after 20+ years!) encouraged me all the way and when I wanted to learn more about the general looking after again full encouragment - have had bad experience with a certain lady (long story) but from this I now have 2 beautiful horses and we rent couple of fields down the lane - I've never been happier , we spend more time together than we ever did albeit it in field poo picking, fencing etc(i'd even go as far as saying I think the OH actually cares for them as much as I do)

twiggly

Visit site
Worked a treat, he hates to be left out!

So true! I help out at a riding school but wouldn't not go if he came to visit for the day, so instead I invited him to help out and have a ride and although he was scared of horses, his not wanting to be left alone for hours swung it! Now he's super keen about learning and doing everything (very handy for muddy feet picking! haha)
:D

picolenicole

Visit site
Mines brill!!! He started by riding his bike with us when we went hacking, than watched us schooling. Then tried it himself, until King gallopped off with him (OH legs are stronger than mine, so his go aid was a little to go!!)

Now he can muck out, tack up and even make me go riding when I can't be bothered!! He can't wait til we're doing shows properly, I can but he can't!!