Could this be a magnesium deficiency?

MyBoyChe

Visit site
My TB is usually a very calm horse but have had a few stress related issues just lately which I think have been caused by too much spring grass. I now have him on limited grazing along with a magnesium supplement in his tea. One of the things he does when stressed is cow kick, he doesn't seem to be able to help himself, he does it if he is tied up or when being ridden and it can be quite dangerous. Since restricting his grass intake and giving him the mag he has almost reverted back to his old, calm self and hasn't kicked out all week. Read somewhere that one of the symptoms can be muscle tremors/spasms and was wondering if the kicking out, which only seems to happen when he is stressed could be part of the same thing. He is usually the sweetest natured horse and has no malice in him at all so this is quite unusual behaviour for him.
confused.gif

Llwyncwn

Visit site
If he is stressed I would put him straight on Coligone which acts very quickly to neutralise acidosis in the gut. It is loaded with calcium and magnesium and has an almost instant effect.

teddyt

Visit site
Spring grass is low in magnesium, so horses can often get more exciteable/stressy at this time due to extra energy from the grass and the reduced magnesium. Magnesium is needed for the nervous system to function properly and at times of stress the horse needs mre magnesium. It sounds like youve done the right thing and your horse has changed already. Just make sure that the horse is getting adequate forage, to minimise stomach ulcers, as kicking out can also be a symptom of these.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Thank you for your replies. I had wondered if he might have stomach ulcers, he is 2 years out of training so a likely candidate I suppose, He is currently out 24/7 with 2 very small feeds of chaff and hi fi cubes to add his supplements too, through the winter he was stabled at night with ad lib hay and 2 larger feeds of chaff, A&P fast fibre and carrots. He seems quite happy in himself, had dropped a little weight through March but has put that back on now. The only time he seems to get stressed now is if he is in the yard by himself, which we can largely avoid except when I am tacking him up to ride, this is when he kicks out the most, when he is tied up alone. He is definitely calmer since watching his grass intake and increasing his magnesium dose. Would it be advisable to scope him for ulcers now or would you leave it a while to see how he settles.