Could this horse be leased?

Cullohill

photobucket.com
Do many people lease horses? Do you think it is a viable option and maybe a more secure option than loaning?

I am contemplating leasing/loaning my mare out and wondering if she would warrant asking for a leasing fee and if so how much would I ask?

Her details briefly are.....

11yr old HolsteinxISH mare by Limmerick, 16'3
Owned and produced by myself since just backed 4 year old
British Eventing 75 FP, 47 points. Competed upto CCI*
British Showjumping £1,145 actual 527 points. Competed upto 1.15m
Kindest, loveliest temperament, total joy to own and do everything with.
Due to divorce limited outings over past 2 years.
Friend recently (who hadn't jumped in 10yrs only done dressage) competed her at unaf event 90cm, did double clear and came 4th.

She has arthritic changes in her neck (C6-C7) diagnosed February 2016, currently they are causing no issues, but when they do her neck sometimes spasms and she holds her head low. This never happens when ridden. Usually after work and her suddenly putting her neck down to graze. She is on a joint supplement and has had steroid injections previously.

I would prefer her to go to do lower level as she is so special to me I don't want her hammered, but with her points eventing makes it trickier?

My mind is still not made up as it's not something my heart really wants me to do but my situation may become that I have to, and I don't want to sell her.

Advice most welcome!!

be positive

Visit site
Leasing is fairly unusual over here, friends of mine did lease a pony and paid 10% of his rather inflated value plus all the normal expenses laid out in the contract such as vets fees insurance and they purchased his tack/ rugs from the owners which was bought back when the lease ended several years later, it was a very good deal for the owners who had their pony looked after very well for 4 or 5 years with the 10% paid every year, he went back improved and proven at a higher level and was leased again.

Yours is different in that you have a proven horse looking to go down a level or so which could be attractive to someone looking for a schoolmaster but they will be restricted to open classes which may have less appeal and would not be able to do some teams for RC/PC which again could be limiting if wanting a lease fee, I am not sure that charging a lease is any more secure than finding a really genuine loan home and having a well laid out contract, if someone is going to respect your horse they will do whether it cost them money or not, the same with the opposite point of view.

One of my liveries bought a similar horse to yours as a schoolmaster, he ran in opens until he could be downgraded, BE, the owner had loaned him the previous season to an amateur International rider based on a top pro yard, it was the pro who approached the owner about it and I think a lease fee could have been charged so that may be a route to look into if you think a pro yard could suit yours.

ihatework

Visit site
She sounds like a super mare and certainly one you should be able to be picky about a decent loan home.

Leasing does happen in the UK but it is not widespread and it’s quite niche - generally in the junior/YR type of market, for competitive horses at the higher levels. Fees are usually circa 10% of market value per annum.

I think you would struggle to lease a lower level schoolmistress

Littlebear

Visit site
I would
She sounds like a super mare and certainly one you should be able to be picky about a decent loan home.

Leasing does happen in the UK but it is not widespread and it’s quite niche - generally in the junior/YR type of market, for competitive horses at the higher levels. Fees are usually circa 10% of market value per annum.

I think you would struggle to lease a lower level schoolmistress

I would agree, the only horses I have seen leased are high level competition horses, you could advertise and have a go I guess though, some people don't want the commitment of buying so it may work, just because it isn't common doesn't mean it cant. I have been in situations where I would have rather leased than bought.

Asha

Visit site
She sounds lovely. Im going to sound really miserable here, and I don't mean to. But after having my boy PTS this year with a similar problem, I have to ask if you have had her xrayed recently to see if the arthritis has progressed any. Assuming it hasn't, and the vets have given the all clear to carry on with work at a decent level, then yes leasing a genuine schoolmaster is a great idea.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I am another who has known leased horses but as above they where high level event horses .
I do think you would find a great loan home though .

Cullohill

photobucket.com
Thank you all so much for your replies, it's helped me realise that loaning will be the best option and concentrate on finding right home that way rather than a lease. I have loaned two horses out previously with great success, you can tell I don't like selling them!! So it doesn't daunt me loaning out again it's just I don't really want to, but it might be the best thing short term.

Cullohill

photobucket.com
She sounds lovely. Im going to sound really miserable here, and I don't mean to. But after having my boy PTS this year with a similar problem, I have to ask if you have had her xrayed recently to see if the arthritis has progressed any. Assuming it hasn't, and the vets have given the all clear to carry on with work at a decent level, then yes leasing a genuine schoolmaster is a great idea.

I'm sorry to hear you had to have yours PTS, can I ask how old he was and if the changes were C6-C7. I actually work at an equine veterinary practice and have her x-rayed annually to monitor the changes and discuss treatment options so feel i'm doing what I can. I obviously do worry that eventually they may cause a serious problem, but i'm hoping they may fuse and be manageable.

Cullohill

photobucket.com
I think you would easily find a loan home for her. When was the last time she competed BE? As you could apply for her to be downgraded and then she could compete RC/PC.
I think you would easily find a loan home for her. When was the last time she competed BE? As you could apply for her to be downgraded and then she could compete RC/PC.

I did one early last year for a bit of fun, think you have to wait quite long time to down grade??

Her BE name is Glimavragh, if anyone is interested in a bit of stalking :)

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
I did one early last year for a bit of fun, think you have to wait quite long time to down grade??

It's not too long to downgrade, I think it is still this

"A horse which has won no points under BE Rules in the current and preceding two calendar years may be downgraded and deprived of all its points and therefore be treated as a Grade IV horse.

A horse/pony which has been downgraded is not eligible to qualify for any Regional Finals or Grassroots Championships.

If a downgraded horse/pony wishes to move up the ladder again, then it must fully requalify as per BE rules 1.37.

A horse/pony may only be downgraded once during its lifetime.

Under no circumstances may the name of a horse which has been downgraded be changed."

ihatework

Visit site

She looks like a complete superstar and whoever gets to loan her should consider themselves very lucky indeed

be positive

Visit site
She looks like a complete superstar and whoever gets to loan her should consider themselves very lucky indeed

Her record is super and she can be downgraded next season which means more options for whoever is lucky enough to loan her, I think you might be inundated with calls.

Cullohill

photobucket.com
Her record is super and she can be downgraded next season which means more options for whoever is lucky enough to loan her, I think you might be inundated with calls.

novice water.JPG

Yes I am proud of her record, and the faults that are on there are usually my error not hers!!
I was thinking if I decide to loan her would an advert on somewhere like horsequest be best way. thought a facebook post on my page might be too emotional with all the questions as to why and one in a selling type group might get too inundated??

ihatework

Visit site
I would say stay away from Facebook advertising as you will be absolutely inundated with daydreamers.

Those that are actively looking will have HQ on their radar and HQ has always yielded good results for me in the past.

If you want to keep her local it might be worth an email to local PC DCs and BE coordinators. She would be an amazing BE100U18 horse

AnShanDan

Visit site
I've known horses like this be leased to the JRN market. so I wouldn't discount a lease. Friends paid approx £1000 pa for a similar (actually less solid) horse a few years ago, obv. they also paid all running costs/insurance etc.
It was a win win really, my friends got a fab schoolmistress and their daughter was able to be very competitive quickly which is vital as it is a short window of time. The owners got their horse back in great order and she went out again on lease afaik.
As said above, I'd contact the U18 coordinator in your area, they'd be best placed to know who might suit.

be positive

Visit site
I would say stay away from Facebook advertising as you will be absolutely inundated with daydreamers.

Those that are actively looking will have HQ on their radar and HQ has always yielded good results for me in the past.

If you want to keep her local it might be worth an email to local PC DCs and BE coordinators. She would be an amazing BE100U18 horse

I agree, an ad on HQ should bring in the right type of person if your local contacts don't come up with anything, I would probably ask for replies by email with a few important questions you need answered in the ad, area, riders experience and expectations, trainers name would allow you to weed out some of the dreamers.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
She sounds lovely :), I think by loaning you can be super picky about where you want her to go, who with and what she does :).

Asha

Visit site
I'm sorry to hear you had to have yours PTS, can I ask how old he was and if the changes were C6-C7. I actually work at an equine veterinary practice and have her x-rayed annually to monitor the changes and discuss treatment options so feel i'm doing what I can. I obviously do worry that eventually they may cause a serious problem, but i'm hoping they may fuse and be manageable.

he was 9, and passed earlier this year. It was between the c6-c7. His symptoms came on quite quickly, and started with the low head carriage in the field.., he would come trotting over as if he was still eating grass. It went from now and then to daily quite quickly. His safe haven was his stable, as he never had to put his head down to eat, so it didn't get stuck .But the day before he was PTS it started to happen in the stable. If I encouraged him to put his head up he would explode. The vets explained that his condition was changing quickly, and it as a matter of time before he started to fall over in the field. ( he had grown a bone spur). I couldn't let that happen to him, I had 4 different vets assess his xray's , and sadly all said nothing could be done, and the only option was PTS. A friend of mine had a younger horse ( 7yo) PTS this year due to arthritis in the neck as well. His was in the C6-C7 region , as well as C5. He had a loss of form, and started to misbehave when ridden, he was turned away at first but started to blind panic , he ran through several sets of post and rail one day, that was the final straw, for his own safety and others he was PTS a couple of months ago too.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
She has arthritic changes in her neck (C6-C7) diagnosed February 2016, currently they are causing no issues, but when they do her neck sometimes spasms and she holds her head low. This never happens when ridden. Usually after work and her suddenly putting her neck down to graze. She is on a joint supplement and has had steroid injections previously.

Apologies off subject - my 9yr gelding has just been diagnosed with the same. Which joint supplement is she on and did injections help?

MissP

Visit site
I'm sure you would get interest for a 6 or 12 month loan. If you loan, think about how you want check ups and vet costs to be managed. You will get more interest if you commit to covering costs of existing health problems. I would want to include in the agreement that she will have regular checks/treatment as needed. What you don't want is the loaner to make decisions based on financial restrictions. They won't have the history with her that you do.