Could we have a disabled riders board?

mastermax

Visit site
This would be a fantastic idea. I have Lupus SLE along with a lot of associated issues and sometimes even trying to get on with a huge mounting block doesnt work! Silly body just wont work. I also find this can affect confidence due to the "what if" whilst hacking alone. Would be so lovely to have a board for disabled riders who understand what we are each going through.

henmother

Visit site
Great idea,
My girl went to live with a friend last summer as I couldn't physically look after her anymore, due to quick onset of symptoms (including balance/walking problems) which were subsequently diagnosed as MS.
I thought that was it as far as horses and me were concerned, but my friend is insisting I stay involved and apparently we are taking her out showing this season. :O
:)

That's great news, you have a horsey summer to look forward too, I hope you have many good days to look forward to.

henmother

Visit site
Really good idea :) i probably couldn't ride even if i wanted to due to issues which are being investigated now (dodgy brain!) but on bad days the general yard bits and bobs for my mare are a nightmare! Im another one with a non visible disability, or people just assume im drunk if i cant walk in a straight line/walk into things!
Would be great to hear about similar peoples problems and ways to cope :)

This is a huge part of the problem, other peoples misinformed opinions. I've had people shaking their heads at me for parking in disabled bays, even when I then go on to transfer into my wheelchair. Ignorance is hard to ignore and only adds to the battle that can be daily living.

TequilaMist

Visit site
Briliant idea! On the surface I'm fully functioning, but thats because I have untold coping strategies to just get by! I sometimes feel like I'm a moaning cow when I mention it, but its such a huge part of my life and affects every single aspect its hard for me to not mention it!

I'm also devastated that I've started riding again and can barely mange to ride a riding school pony :( Its not lack of knowledge or skill, its just that my stoopid body wont do what I want it to do! I'd love to be able to bleat on to people who understand :)

I sooooooo relate to that feeling (and the feeling like a moaner lol)!!!It so frustrating as your riding gets worse instead of better!!And you have no control over it to a certain extent

mynutmeg

Visit site
This is a huge part of the problem, other peoples misinformed opinions. I've had people shaking their heads at me for parking in disabled bays, even when I then go on to transfer into my wheelchair. Ignorance is hard to ignore and only adds to the battle that can be daily living.

It's like only old people can be disabled - if you're young then you can't possibly be disabled and entitled to use such facilities. I always get weird looks as my biggest problem is pain - the more I walk the worse it is so I use disabled bays etc (I do have blue badge) to reduce distance but I don't use sticks/have an obvious limp (as I'm bilateral) so don't look disabled and then when an older person parks, gets out and walks off they don't get half the looks I do. (I think my biggest bug bear there is people with small children using those spaces - since when were toddlers a disability, rant over :) )

henmother

Visit site
Admin have responded to my post in the suggestions area....

Thank you for the suggestion.

While we will bring it to the attention of those who make such decisions it may be considered, as have other such proposals, to be a niche area and not one that would support a separate section of the forum.

Thankyou

teasle

Visit site
Wonderful idea, how about if everyone reading the thread that supports its aim leaves a comment so admin can see the depth of support.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Given the range of disabilities which the RDA cover and the number of people with riding/horse related/caused, disabilities I would have thought it was not a niche at all. I think it is a brilliant idea to have a board for people with disaabilities.

cronkmooar

Visit site
Bloody unbelievable response - and I've told them so! Aaaaggghh!!

Agree 100%

Admin have responded to my post in the suggestions area....

Thank you for the suggestion.

While we will bring it to the attention of those who make such decisions it may be considered, as have other such proposals, to be a niche area and not one that would support a separate section of the forum.

Thankyou

Niche area !!!

We have just had the longest, most vindictive thread ever, running for months, that was about one thing and admin seemed support and enjoy having that around!

I'm not disabled, but I used to enjoy reading the reports from the girl that had the amputation below the knee - can't remember her name, but it was great reading about her progress.

Haven't seen anything from her for a while, perhaps because I'm coming on here less and less or maybe because her posts get lost in amongst the masses

Is it any wonder that the long standing and interesting posters that used to frequent these forums have long since departed?

undergroundoli

Visit site
Niche? Niche! NICHE.

Given the range of disabilities which the RDA cover and the number of people with riding/horse related/caused, disabilities I would have thought it was not a niche at all. I think it is a brilliant idea to have a board for people with disaabilities.

The only real reason not to have one is that it is so mainstream it is what TR's for

Dunlin

Visit site
Well, there's a niche area and then there's discrimination ;)

How do I contact admin to put my support in for this new section?

Dry Rot

Visit site
I'm not disabled but think it is a great idea when people get together to form their own speciality forum, whether disabled, faith group, special interest, or whatever.

BUT is HHO the best body to do it? Frankly, the best thing about this forum is it's members. I think the format and layout is rubbish!

If you want to do it, go and do it! It doesn't need the Horse & Hound to hold your hand. You can have something as simple as a group who share emails or a full blown forum. It is your choice.

Just choose an existing forum you like the layout of, scroll down to the bottom to find the hosts and off you go. Some you will have to pay for, some you will have to accept advertising, some cost nothing. (BTW, HHO is hosted by vBulletin as you can see).

Fools Motto

Visit site
I'm not disabled, but am visually impaired. I'd like a section to cater for those that feel they need some more support from others, and ideas to perhaps overcome some issues they might have. Great idea all round.
C'mon admin, respond to our wishes please. Its isn't hard.

MrsElle

Visit site
I have limited movement in one leg, and problems with my other when I get tired. I struggle to mount and dismount sometimes, and it would be great to have somewhere on HHO where I can get advice on this and share my flounderings with people who will understand :)

Another one who would love a disabled riders section on HHO.

maree t

Visit site
Another RDA volunteer , i think it would be invaluable for people, families and helpers to be able to have a specific area to find others. i know how important the parents of some of our children find it to chat with the others while the kids ride. They get a short respite with people who understand . Wish there was a section on here that would allow a similar link to people struggling with the isolation that can come with a daily struggle .

henmother

Visit site
I'm not disabled but think it is a great idea when people get together to form their own speciality forum, whether disabled, faith group, special interest, or whatever.

BUT is HHO the best body to do it? Frankly, the best thing about this forum is it's members. I think the format and layout is rubbish!

If you want to do it, go and do it! It doesn't need the Horse & Hound to hold your hand. You can have something as simple as a group who share emails or a full blown forum. It is your choice.

Just choose an existing forum you like the layout of, scroll down to the bottom to find the hosts and off you go. Some you will have to pay for, some you will have to accept advertising, some cost nothing. (BTW, HHO is hosted by vBulletin as you can see).

Exactly, it's the members that make this board. I see no good reason for not adding a disabled riders board. If anything , it could increase the forum numbers. We all come here looking for advice, a different opinion or just for good old help. We also hope to return the favour along the way if we can. I wouldn't want to visit a site that was aimed just at disabled riders, but would pop into a board on here without doubt.

neddymad

Visit site
Think this is a fantastic idea especially as everybody's disabilities are different including mental disability that often gets forgotten.

Lunchbox legend

Visit site
Another thumbs up from me for this idea.

... it may be considered, as have other such proposals, to be a niche area and not one that would support a separate section of the forum.
Hmmmm... Even if it was a 'niche area' there are thousands of people who would benefit from it. You never know, it might even open up opportunities and potential funding for RDA if more people became aware of what they do.

Well, there's a niche area and then there's discrimination ;)
^^ ;)

C'mon admin, respond to our wishes please. Its isn't hard.
^^ :)

Henmother, have you consider doing a poll to get some figures on how many people want it?

henmother

Visit site
Lunchbox legend I suggested it to admin, if they have a few requests for new boards , that they could have a poll to see which board forum members would want the most. I will look into doing one myself though, good idea, thankyou.

LynH

Visit site
I specifically go to the Chron of the Horse forums Equestrians with Disabilities board for these types of posts so I would support having one here. I put a thread on C&T a while ago when I was struggling with not being able to compete because of my condition. I got some really useful posts from people in similar positions but also some from people who didn't understand so having a dedicated board would help as only those particularly interested and understanding are likely to reply.