Could You Ever Sell Your Horse If....

burtie

Visit site
Only if it was substantially more than his market worth. If I was offered over £20k for Herbie I would have to seriously consider it. Anything less and I would most likely not sell, unless the circumstances were very special.

After all what would I have to spend to replace a very well mannered 16.2hh, well bred 4 year old who is showing good apptitude for Dressage and almost definately jumps well too?

BeckyD

Visit site
I was offered £3,500 at a PC jumping show for the mare I paid £900 for. I was flabbergasted as she wasn't worth more than £2,000 in my eyes (priceless to me obviously, but still!). I was so embarrassed, which sounds a bit silly now. I think they'd over-estimated her abilities!!

Sarah1

Visit site
I don't think I could. If I was to sell Bailey I could easily get twice as much as I paid for him but he's priceless to me.
I'd had a break from horses after losing my beloved pony and I never thought I'd find another horse or pony that I'd love as much as I loved Six...until I found Bailey! As soon as I laid eyes on him I loved him and he was an absolute angel when we tried him and has been ever since!
I could hack that horse down the M1 and have never been scared of him, he's excellent to handle and is so affectionate!
He may not be a world beater but he's 200% safe and you can't put a price on that, especially when you're getting older and don't bounce as well as you used to!
wink.gif

at work

Visit site
Given the way you describ Mae, no definitly I'd not sell. She sounds worth her weight in gold and you could pay ten times what you were offered for her and still not find a horse that suits you nearly so well.

If I wasn't getting on with a horse - that would be very different!

Faithkat

Visit site
Yes. Unfortunately I'm not wealthy enough to not be practical. I waited over 40 years to own my own horse and eventually bought a 4-month old 3/4TB, 1/4 NF at the Beaulieu Road sales. I paid £185 for him. Two days later I was offered £500 for him. Initially I said "no" as I'd waited a very long time for my own horse but over a few days I realised that I was actually never going to gel with him so sold him. The extra money enabled me to buy what I had always wanted (and never thought I'd get) - a purebred Arab.

happihorse

Visit site
Depends on who wanted to buy him, what for and how much they would pay. If it wasn't to a perfect home doing what he loves, no.

However, it would have to be a fair mamount of money too, because so much can go wrong when buying a horse. You could easily waste £10,000 trying to find a decent replacement.

Iestyn

Visit site
Yes I would. I adore him and have built a good relationship with him but I would have to be sensible about it. He's incredibly talented and athletic and could do extremely well with a better rider.

S_N

Visit site
When I sold Berry 10yrs ago, I sold him for double what we paid for him 9 years earlier. He's now back with me for his retirement. B..........hmmmmmmmmmmmm don't think she's for sale, unless for seriously silly money. H was bred to be sold...........

Tia

Visit site
After a year of deliberation, I did exactly this. I sold a horse-of-a-lifetime to a neighbour of mine. Yes she was prepared to pay well over market value, yes I made an enormous profit, yes she will give him a fantastic home and yes I have a buy-back clause should she ever no longer want him.

I am in a different situation to many on here though and I probably have about 6 horses-of-a-lifetime so the way I looked at it, why shouldn't she have 1.
smile.gif

Puppy

Visit site
No. I wouldn't sell either of my current girls.

Star and I have been together most of our lives, I would never part with her.

Believe - I could sell her for more than I paid any day of the week. I know people who would pay a lot more for her
crazy.gif
However the fact is - she is perfect to me!
smile.gif
She is my dream horse. I saw the post above and struggled to think of anything I would change about her. Not to mention the fact what with a very healthy budget I spent 15 months searching for her, and I'm quite sure I couldn't find one as perfect again.
smile.gif

The thought of someone else driving out the yard with one of my girls makes me feel physically sick
crazy.gif
They are definitely here to stay
smile.gif

Cobland

Visit site
I always said i was never buying a mare, never one with 4 white socks, wanted a coloured horse, had to be over 8, not pregnant!! Got Mae whose black with 4 white socks, was pregnant and only 3 lol. Oh when i first viewed her she was only 13.2hh, shes now 14.1hh. Ex owner said ive ruined her (travellers), as i show her affection.

The guy that seen her was at old yard, he brought his friend up to view the YOs horse that was for sale. Seen me out riding her and approached me. Said she was identical to his mare that pulled the cart for funerals but he wanted another cart that 2 horses pulled and wanted her. I think thats the only reason he offered so much.

Shes everything i want and more, she does windsuck in the stable only but i dont care (she wears a collar when inside). I still class myself as a beginner, i learn new things everyday. I love riding other horses but my heart lies with her. Even my non cobby friends enjoy riding her.

isabella

Visit site
nope!!! i have had quite a few people offering me money for my mare but i know it sounds soppy but i promised her a home for life and i dont think i could bring myself to part with her plus she has had a troubled past and i dont want her pushed from pilar to post.

soph21

Visit site
I paid £60 for my Welsh A 6 years ago, and i was offered £2k for him a couple of months ago but i said 'No Thank You!!!'
He's my baby.
I paid £1200 for bear Unbroken last year and was told i'd get at least £2800 for him now!!
Its too true that a good horse is hard to find these days!!

SpruceRI

Visit site
Depends on the horse. Would never part with Rosie or naughty Shettie. I've been offered good money for Rosie but she's my dream horse. Wouldn't sell the fat boy either cos I've had him 16yrs, adore him, and so does Rosie.

My newest girlie I've only had about 4 months so the parting wouldn't be so awful, but I still don't intend on ever selling her!

PiaffeRM

Visit site
Depends on the amount I guess.

I was offered 6k for my boy the minute he came off the lorry.....I would have made a HUGE profit but declined. Glad I didnt, love im to bits.

Bright_Spark

Visit site
Depends on the horse. I'd sell the orange monster, but only if it was a very good home. Mainly because she has cost me so much in vet bills. The older girls I'll never sell.