Could You Gel With A Grumpy Horse?

sportsmansB

Visit site
We had a mare who was very grumpy when loose in the stable, and particular about who was stabled adjacent to her
But put a headcollar on her or take her outside, and she was fine if a little 'facey'. If you barged in to the stable to put her rug on and didn't give her a bit of respect she would have taken a chunk out of you when you were doing the buckles. But if you spoke to her, went gently and put a headcollar on if she didn't know you, she was 100% fine.
She was excellent to ride and fine with other horses outside of confined spaces, I wouldn't have hesitated to own her. She just needed a bit of understanding and flexibility as to who she was with and where.

teddy_

Visit site
No.

The Thoroughbred I bought last year was incredibly aggressive and frankly dangerous in the stable (full force biting and kicking). I had all the necessary avenues explored, i.e. pain, so on, so forth. There was no problem once he had his tack on, mind.

He had clearly been abused in the stable, in the past and I could not see that he'd get over it.

I sold him to a friend who works in the industry. She doesn't seem that bothered about his behaviour, but unless you're a 'pro' and the main aim is enjoyment, I frankly could not be bothered with watching my back during every interaction.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
When I bought the Westphalian, I was told that she bit in the stable. I cured that by making sure that her tack fitted correctly and adding Aloe Vera juice to her feed. I just laughed at her if she pulled a face. She soon felt much more comfortable and actually never bit anyone here.

Skib

sites.google.com
My old share was very grumpy and she bit. She also had a reputation for spinning, dumping staff rider and making for home. I led her out to the arena, learned on her and finally shared her and hacked her solo. She did as I told her but only because I had told her that was how it was going to be. Never in all those years was she a softie or a cuddle horse.

ponynutz

Visit site
I think there is a difference between a mean and a grumpy horse. My mare is grumpy and can be mean at times but is only corrected when she's being mean. It's dangerous and often has an underlying issue.

Birker2020

Visit site
As the title, could you gel with a grumpy horse?

I know several people who's horses will take a chunk out of you over the stable door, or who are ears back all the time if you're in their space or go into the stable and I just think I would struggle to have a horse like that - humanising but I like to feel liked or at least tolerated by my horse, even if that is because I am the bringer of feed. Ian Stark commented that one of the Badminton Entries (stable name Arthur) was just the grumpiest horse he'd ever met - but then you are trading that in for talent I suppose!

Obviously potential pain response aside, some horses are grumpy just for being grumpy!
No way. I would hate a horse like that.

Fransurrey

Visit site
As the title, could you gel with a grumpy horse?

I know several people who's horses will take a chunk out of you over the stable door, or who are ears back all the time if you're in their space or go into the stable and I just think I would struggle to have a horse like that - humanising but I like to feel liked or at least tolerated by my horse, even if that is because I am the bringer of feed. Ian Stark commented that one of the Badminton Entries (stable name Arthur) was just the grumpiest horse he'd ever met - but then you are trading that in for talent I suppose!

Obviously potential pain response aside, some horses are grumpy just for being grumpy!
I gelled with one when I was 16, working at a riding school on the weekends. He was known for biting people and the regular grooms refused to turn him out. He was utterly miserable and didn't leave his stable apart from going to the school for lessons. Any idiot could see that it was his management that was the issue. I offered to muck him out and gave him massages and scratches. He seemed ever so grateful for attention that didn't involve a smack or shouting - he never did bite me. Looking back, they were evil bastards there. I didn't last long (they fired me because my bus didn't turn up, so I was an hour late one Sunday).

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Not for me, I love cuddly friendly horses who are always pleased to see me and enjoy being fussed over.

Me too. As an amateur rider I spend more time with them than on them. I always seem to have horses with lovable interactive personalities who are easy natured and a joy to be around. Although my oldie can occasionally have a grump these days but it’s brief. I can honestly say I always look forward to seeing them and being with them in and out of the saddle.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
My mare is my horse of a lifetime. She does everything I ask her, on the ground and under saddle, but she’s grumpy and definitely not a people person. I respect that. When she’s not being asked to do something her time is her time. I’d love her to be cuddly, but she’s not. She respects me and “dislikes me the least!”. I do feel for my husband though. She’s hated him and been vile to him for the 17 years she’s been with us, and frequently takes a bite at him (particularly if he kisses me!). He’s so patient and gentle, doesn’t deserve it. I’d have really lost my temper with her. Instead he’s bourne a lot of the expenses and share of her care, especially when she’s been injured.

NinjaPony

Visit site
My Welsh is grumpy. I’ve had him 15 years and he’s still grouchy in the stable, stemming from when he was full of worms, hungry and headshy. That was a long time ago mind, but he still likes his personal space and isn’t interested in cuddles or hugs and lets you know!

I agree with the difference between grumpy and mean though, he’s polite to handle and just puts his ears back mostly. He is a big personality, will whinny at you every morning and when you go to catch him in the field, and so he’s not ‘angry’ and would never try and take a chunk out of you. He just doesn’t want to be fussed, and he will let you know if something hurts pronto… you do have to respect his space though, ask nicely, and back off if he’s telling you he’s not happy. You can groom etc, just in a matter of fact kind of way with minimal fuss.

I can’t pretend I don’t miss my connie, who never had a cross word for anyone. He was sweet, gentle, kind and laid back and loved a cuddle. When I had the two of them, it balanced out nicely, mr big personality and mr mellow, and I do miss my drama free pony who would let me put cream on his nose without flinging himself around in protest…

There is a horse at my yard that is ‘mean’; perfect to ride, but properly nasty on the ground. He will go for you, bite and kick and mean it. No way could I own a horse like that, whatever the reason.

Merrymoles

Visit site
Yes. It is such a huge joy when you get to the bottom of why and they turn into a happy horse.

My last horse was a proper biter when I got him and, while he remained "mouthy" for his whole life, he went from bruising me in hand and lungeing over the door at passing people to coming for a chat at every opportunity and in his stable he frequently wrapped me in his neck so that I couldn't open the door to leave.

I had a loan horse for a couple of months and was told from the outset "she's not cuddly" but she was actually the sweetest, cuddliest mare I'd ever met, desperate to be socialable, met me at the field gate every time whether it was feeding or fetching in time or not. Unfortunately, her owner didn't like the fact that she clearly liked me more than her so she took her back.

I agree that there is a difference between grumpy and dangerous but there is always a root cause for both and I enjoy working it out.