Could you keep a pony for under £150 a month?

Theocat

Visit site
Thank you everyone for all the info you've given me, I don't think it would be possible for me to have a horse on that budget now I've read through all of that! The problem I have at the moment is the horse I share (a 13yo, 15.2 ex racer) is really not what I was looking to ride. My old share belonged to the same person, he was more my sort of type and I really loved riding him, but with some mix up with him turning out to not actually belong to her (I didn't know this at the time) and she couldn't afford to buy him, he went back to his real owners. I don't look forward to riding the horse i have now so I was looking for an alternative but I can see getting one on full loan isn't it!

What a lovely grown up response :)

That's a real shame the good share fell through. There are lots of shares out there, though - I think you should look around, and you could also ask about helping at the local riding school, if you have one. It's silly to share a horse you don't look forward to riding, especially if you're paying towards him - you'd be better off having a lesson a week. Some of the best times I've had with horses have been through sharing - so don't give up! Good luck :)

fornema

Visit site
Yup I keep mine for under £150 each a month. One a Warmblood youngster and the other a showjumping pony.

Warmblood youngster:
-Feed approx £40 month
-Feet £30 trim
-Insurance £26
-Vaccinations/teeth once yearly works out at about £7 month
-Field £40ish a month split between my two so £20 (find shared land it cuts the cost)

Showjumping Pony
-Feed approx £60year as just has hifi/small token gesture cubes so £5/month
-Feet £60 full set
-Insurance £32
-Vaccinations/teeth about £7 a month
-Field £20
-Competition fees- depends on what im doing

So can keep both of mine for about £270/month but you need to remember extras such as unexpected vet bills etc. Also probably only possible if living out 24/7 or had own land

HaffiesRock

Visit site
I can manage £150 too.

I've taken all my costs and made them monthly figures for you to see. He is a Haflinger and very hardy. He lives out 24/7, unrugged, he is barefoot and only on a token feed in the winter.

Grass livery £65 per month.
Insurance £25 - Full vet fee cover, public liability and death and disposal only
Hay £15 per month
Feed £10 per month
Worming approx £5 a month
Feet £15 a month, trimmer comes every 8-10 weeks.
Vaccinations £7.50
Dentist £5 a month
Total = £146.50 :O)

I have a slush fund for any vet bills, but it is doable if you shop around and really think about what you do and dont need. I dont need shoes, rugs, fancy feeds or supplements, I have a second hand saddle which I love (and fits) livery is perfect and cheap and he is kept very basically, but he is a fabulously happy little man.

Have an ask around livery yards for full costs and then re evaluate. xx

Littlelegs

Visit site
Very mature response op, & I hope you find another share soon. And why not start keeping some sort of records of cost? That alone won't give your parents more money, but will show them how responsible you are being. Then, if in the future their situation changes, or you find a very low cost full loan someones doing on their own land, they'll be able to not only have the figures to hand, but know how sensible you are being about the cost. On my phone so can't see your location, but if its not up, why not add it? If I was looking for a sharer you sound lovely, so perhaps someone on here nearby might have a suitable horse for share, or want some help.

rodeo12

Visit site
Keep looking for a share horse. I rode a horse last year and loved it to pieces - was such a challenge but so enjoyable. Then this summer I decided to loan it and honestly I found myself dreading getting on each day. Every time I rode I knew we would have an argument. I decided that before giving it up I would start looking. It seemed like nothing was out there. I saw the advert for the horse I now share months before I actually got in contact. There were a few questions I'd have. I then kept comparing it to the horse I had last summer and how flashy it went and thought it's never going to be the same. But am so glad the advert kept popping up on all different sites as it finally made me look at it and ring the lady. BEST decision I ever made. The only downside is it's part loan and I'm used to full so get a little stressed at weekends when I know I have 2/3 days to wait until I can ride again. Plus, it's soooo much cheaper than what I was paying (almost 2/3's cheaper). I have even found people who just want their horse ridden and have ridden it for free as many times a week as I like. It's just a matter of looking, asking around and not getting disheartend. I thought about every option as it felt like I couldn't find anything - using the money to having individual lessons. Going to a riding club where you use their horses so I can keep doing fun stuff. There is hope though :)

SecretAgentBilly

Visit site
I have been trying to find a share since Billy (my old share) went, but I haven't had any luck so far, however there were lots for full loan which is how I thought of that idea in the first place:) At first I thought it'd be okay riding the horse I have now, but today just made me realise I really don't like her, and I don't think she likes me much either! Thanks again for all the replies :)

Dubsie

Visit site
I struggle to keep it under £50/week for two on grass at home, but that includes pony club, lessons, and transport + including some competing, and that's with keeping the ponies barefoot. We're a bit better off this year as our neighbour's field luckily yielded enough extra hay that we won't need to buy in any this year (spent £500 last year). I'm sure you're far better off part sharing or loaning for now, and after all you'll have GCSEs coming up so probably won't have as much time.

Jools1234

Visit site
i keep mine on less than that and they are not at home, not insured either but even if i budget that in i would still be about £150 per month but i do have savings for the occasions i go over

pansymouse

Visit site
I'm going to buck the trend and say I think it's doable if you are careful and ingore the fripperies that people now view as essential and are not too ambious about the amount of competing you want to do. Strictly speaking an unclipped native pony wouldn't need a rug and shouldn't need shoes. The big ticket items are your saddle and winter feed, don't scrimp on them. Personally I've never insured my horses and yes I've had to pay a huge vets bill but still less than I'd have paid out in premiums, gold BHS membership will give you third liability cover to protect you against getting sued.

At your age I had a scruffy native pony which was tethered on the village green and never had a rug or hard feed in her life. I lived in North Yorkshire at that time. That pony taught me all the basics far better than any human could have.

Totally off-topic, it's a complete joy to read well written and punctuated English from someone from the text speak generation :D

Mlini

Visit site
I think its possible! I've known people do it. But not ideal.

Mine costs around £200-£250 per month. He's on DIY. There are unexpected costs though, such as saddle fitting turning out to be £200 rather than the £75 I thought it would be.

Around here you can get grass for £80 per month and that would leave £70 spare for other things. If it is a hardy pony that comes with everything (all tack and rugs that it'll need for over winter) there aren't as many costs such as shoes, feed etc. So £20ish for a trim every 8 or so weeks and £5 a month towards wormers. £10 for a bag of feed, £30ish for insurance. That'd bring you upto around £150

So if you stripped it back to basics, you can do it. But if you wanted lessons/extra bits of tack/treats/vet kit/grooming stuff you wouldn't have any extra money. And if you needed money for vaccs/routine vets treatments you'd be a bit stuck.

Irishbabygirl

Visit site
Bless you op, reminded me of trying to convince my parents to take on a loan pony at your age! I went to the local farmer who agreed £1 per day livery (with a stable!) So I got a paper round to cover that, and parents paid the rest! Sadly its not that cheap anymore. Maybe look into farm livery, its definitely cheaper. I'm currently only paying £10 per week grass which goes up to £20 in winter for the stable...they are about :)

Dry Rot

Visit site
I'm beginning to think that what I breed is too cheap!:(

But, as a lateral thinker, why not put an advert up on this page (below) and offer to exercise someone's pony? I've seen several threads on here saying how difficult it is to get someone reliable and responsible to do this, and the OP sounds both. If you weren't 300 miles away, I have one you could ride for nothing:

http://www.equineadverts.co.uk/6/17_Riders/

SecretAgentBilly

Visit site
I have put an advert on that site now, thanks for the recommendation! I am also hopefully going to see a horse to share next week, I don't know if it'll work or not as he's bigger then I was looking for and can only be used for schooling and hacking, but he does sound nice! Just unfortunate that someone has advertised a really, really gorgeous pony for full loan that I really wish I could have! :eek:

SO1

Visit site
Yes I think you could do it, I am in an expensive area and there is a grass livery yard near by that is only about £50 a month. I think it will also depend on the quality of grazing available during the winter and if you need to supplement with much feed as well.

That would leave you £100 a month.

If barefoot then my farrier charges £20 for a trim and you would need that every other month if every six weeks so £10 a month

Insurance I think is a necessity if you are on a budget as if something does go wrong then you won't have the saving to pay for big vets bills and some insurances would also cover alternative management costs should your pony need to go on box rest with a reputable company you are looking at about £35 a month depending on the value of pony.

If you worm using worm counts this is probably most cost effective as then you are only worming if the pony has worms I am on intelligent worming and this costs about £10 a month.

In the summer pony needs no hay in the winter it is £30 a month.

Vacinations and teeth rasping about £100 a year.

Feed for a good doer pony on decent grazing - mine eats two/three bags a year £24.

So that would average out at less than £150 a month about £126. So you could then save £25 a month for emergencies. You could also look at getting a sharer.

However all this would depend on you getting cheap grass livery with decent grazing all year round and would not take into consideration travel costs to and from the yard.

Last edited:

Snowysadude

Visit site
One of mine is on grass livery. Its £40pcm and there is loads of grass. He has fronts on but was fine unshod, in summer he literally costs £40 for the field and then £7 for worm counts, £11.20 for the wormer if needed, any tack.back checks, shampoo and anything else I feel like buying. Hes on loan and the owner pays for his insurance. You could definitely do it for less than £150 in summer. In winter though if it snows and he needs hay, the rugs and feed, then you would be pushing it. Also the risk of vets fees, clipping, might need to stable them would all bump up the price! You could look at finding a sharer to help with the financial side of things but then its keeping them, if the owner would let you and everything else!

SO1

Visit site
I would say that even if you can keep a pony for under £150 a month I would still save up until you have a decent amount of money in savings maybe 6 months livery to give you some security and peace of mind should something go wrong.

ItsJem

Visit site
In exceptional circumstances, yes... I have 2 Section B's and I will give you an EXPENSIVE months run down for the two (excluding the hidden extras like vet bills).

Rent is £50 for the pair grass pcm
Hard Feed pcm £30 max
Hay pcm £45
Trim (8 weeks nearly, 12 each, so 12pcm)

ItsJem

Visit site
Sorry, continue on from my post!

Say another 50 a month for other things such as supplements/wormers etc... So, 187 a month for two, 93.50 each a month. Rough figures.

millikins

Visit site
If you can find something else to share until you are 15, you will find getting a job easier. My daughter did potwashing/kitchen portering in our local pub, lousy job but paid quite well, but they wouldn't take her until 15. Good luck, you sound very sensible, if you were in Surrey I think you sound an ideal sharer.

Tormenta

Visit site
It is do-able absolutely but only if you were to be paying basic grass livery or rent/own your own land and for the former two would be for one horse. I keep 3 good doers on my own land for well under that amount, slightly higher costs in the Winter but I still have ways of saving even then. If you are looking to pay livery on a yard, you have no chance!

noodle_

Visit site
mine... grass livery - for two;

£120 a month (both) (amazing field - love it :) )

£80 trim/shoes every 6 weeks

£35 insurance for both per month

£40 approx feed and supplements a month

£5500 vet bills + in 7 months! :D

5k is insured - the rest is upto me........and we are still ongoing...!

as long as you have a good fund in your bank for vets bills, its dp-able...but i would never have had my first horse/pony on grass livery.... i always had stable kept

having said that - id never ever want mine stabled again :)

oh and i forgot the usual - rugs/tack etc which crop up - ive just parted with £50 for a rug for the youngster and she needs another in winter :)

Crumpet

Visit site
I'd very definitely say no, you have no lee-way at all on that amount. I'd keep up with the sharing for the time being, don't forget that with your GCSE's no doubt on the horizon, you may not have time for one of your own just yet. Sorry to sound like a parent, but I am one with a daughter your age, its not easy balancing it all and I do an awful lot so she can keep up with the demands of school. Your parents may not be willing /able to do this. I'm not trying to shatter your dreams at all, and well done for trying to earn some money towards a horse as well as finding out the real cost of things. :)

vieshot

Visit site
I don't think it's impossible but would take some serious budgeting and a real good doer. Despite this I would never recommend getting a pony when you have a strict budget because they have a knack of always needing something else!

SecretAgentBilly

Visit site
I have been offered grazing for 20 pw with hay included, if I had a sharer as well (maybe £12-£14 a week for two days?), would it then be maaybe be possible? Just asking again now I have found someone with grazing available! Thanks :D

Follychoppins

Visit site
Unlikely. It isn't just about the money it is about the time and commitment 24/7 all winds and weathers. I have 2 ponies myself now but as a teenager I was NOT allowed a pony. My parents could not afford it and Dad was unrelenting with his no. I worked at a local riding school and rode for free. My skill and expertise were such that I could and would ride any horse or pony as I had not become a confident expert on one steed only. When I had exams there was no problem with me telling the owner I couldn't come any more as I wasn't letting anybody down or relying on anybody else to look after my animal. When I went to University - the same, no problems. I rode on and off until I was 40 between having children and working until I was 40 and had the time to commit to the whole package. With 2 NF ponies 2.5 acres of land I have paid for, and growing our own hay on half of it through the summer I would still say that I commit to over £150 a month per pony with insurance (more expensive depending on age), shoeing, feed, supplements, worming and incidental vets bills plus the cost of to and fro-ing to the field to check them. I know lots of people that over commit themselves to horses and it is not a happy situation for horse or owner. Sharing is a good option, or have a loan pony. If you are asking the question I honestly think you are looking for the answer you want to hear to reassure your parents. Thankfully most of the people here are far too honest to knowingly put you in a corner.

d4nny

Visit site
Why should your parents be paying at all?!!!!!

At 15 years old not only had I bought my own horse I had to pay all her bills as well (she was stabled and had a full set of shoes) Which meant I had 3 jobs as well as school.

My parents said to me if you want a horse, you save for it and pay it's bills. It took me a long time but I got there and appreciated it more as it was something I'd achieved by myself.

It annoys me that youngsters today feel everything should be handed to them on a plate rather then them graft for something.

Give up the share pony, get a couple of paper rounds and help at a riding school at weekends. Not only will this give you more experience with horses and their needs but you may also get a free ride out of it.

Just as a guide my 2 OAP's out at grass cost me roughly £210 each every month and they're both retired.