Couple of updates (and some tempi changes!)

star

Visit site
So it seems the orange one is on a bit of a roll since Badminton. It's lovely - everything looks so much smaller and more achievable after the hugeness of Badders! I walked the 100 eyeing up the Novice and wondering how I was ever terrified of the 90.

We did Borde Hill BE100 2weeks ago. He jumped a fab double clear, one of the fastest of the day (which still meant 7.6 time pens as time was unachievable), stormed round over some meaty fences and some technical stuff too but made it all feel easy. That plus our 28 dressage meant we came 3rd! Lucky venue for me - been 3 times and come 2nd, 1st and 3rd.
http://competitiondiary.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/borde-hill-be100-30-05-15.html

Then BCA BE100 yesterday. Dressage for 27.8, rubbishy riding from me led to a pole down SJ and then stormed the XC including the horrid scary left corner (my nemesis) for 1 second inside the time. Pole amazingly made no difference to placings and ended up in 4th. That's us qualified for the Blenheim dressage champs as well as 2 Regional Finals.
cGFQyoTBbhoeacCLCWMinnFRav3AOb83j-OKJwPI2P31=w934-h667-no

2UDkAlteBMQtMBy9fZ_AG7gmNufBNHN1ai7OXq49Q45D=w844-h607-no

This is what he think of his minty treats prize:
5lbPC0Ua0qjaxUPQTMp9jAFW-LIGYKRu1y_SFpgBf7Pv=w1186-h667-no

T-3Plb8pMV9tzIqoXIwJNp3cq5IJajWOD6QqaNbFpcs8=w1186-h667-no

http://competitiondiary.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/bca-be100-13-06-15.html

Both events I have done the BE90 before but not the 100. Great to be doing some new courses. Off to Nunney next - looking forwards to a nice, big, bold course and hoping the SJ is more up to height as apparently I ride like an idiot if they're smaller than 1m these days (oh what a nice problem to have compared to my previous issues!) Am actually feeling like Novice might be within our sights but I'm in no rush - I wan't to be finding BE100 thoroughly easy before I consider moving up. Agree with Paul Tapner when he said in H&H the other week you shouldn't be moving up a level until you're bored of the one you're at. I'd hate to put my lovely horse at risk just because of my ambition. Want to be sure we are both good enough before I take that step.

And in between all this we have been playing with his dressage, his flying changes are now established and almost always clean and on the aids so we have started putting them together.

Here he is doing his first line of 4 time changes in my lesson - all clean and correct. So proud of my little unlikely dressage horse. Dressage trainer says we're on track for our Advanced Medium debut this summer and has PSG in her sights for us - eek!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra-gyNkduZE

Bernster

Visit site
What an awesome combo you are. Well done! He's a superstar isn't he? Interested re your comments a la Mr Tapner, was thinking similar this weekend, only right down the end of the scale, and wondering if things do ever get less nerve wracking the more you do them.

star

Visit site
What an awesome combo you are. Well done! He's a superstar isn't he? Interested re your comments a la Mr Tapner, was thinking similar this weekend, only right down the end of the scale, and wondering if things do ever get less nerve wracking the more you do them.

They most definitely too. 4yrs ago I wobbled round my first 80. I then spent 3yrs at BE90. Last year I went 100 then had a massive confidence blip after Badminton and went back to 90. This year I'm finally feeling confident at 100, 90 looks small and Novice looks mostly doable. Perceptions definitely change as you get more experience.

HeresHoping

Visit site
Well done! Fabulous. Go the Ginger Hero!

And thank you so much for the video on the tempi changes. We're just learning to go into counter canter off the straight line and it was really helpful to see the extent of the bend you ask for (I am obviously overcompensating following my mad panic about which of my legs goes where and just how much of a quarters in I need).

PorkChop

Visit site
Really well done, and congratulations, you have obviously put in a great deal of hard work and it is paying off :)

PS Tempi changes ...... show off :D:D

star

Visit site
Really well done, and congratulations, you have obviously put in a great deal of hard work and it is paying off :)

PS Tempi changes ...... show off :D:D

He is loving his changes now. Took me so long to get the message across and now he loves them so much that counter canter has become a challenge! Did our first line of three time changes at the weekend. Loving it!

star

Visit site
Well done! Fabulous. Go the Ginger Hero!

And thank you so much for the video on the tempi changes. We're just learning to go into counter canter off the straight line and it was really helpful to see the extent of the bend you ask for (I am obviously overcompensating following my mad panic about which of my legs goes where and just how much of a quarters in I need).

No quarters in for a canter strike off. I'm always getting told off for this! I have his quarters too far in at the beginning of the line of the tempi changes in the video and at the moment I'm also asking for too much bend in each change just to get the message across. We can lessen that as he gets the hang of it more.

Hornby

Visit site
Brilliant results, you are both stars! Love the blog, please keep it up, I am looking for updates before you have had a chance to do a comp these days ( not brave enough myself, but love reading about others exploits)

HotToTrot

Visit site
They most definitely too. 4yrs ago I wobbled round my first 80. I then spent 3yrs at BE90. Last year I went 100 then had a massive confidence blip after Badminton and went back to 90. This year I'm finally feeling confident at 100, 90 looks small and Novice looks mostly doable. Perceptions definitely change as you get more experience.

I always wonder this as well! I think it can take different lengths of time to find a level easy; I found N easy quite quickly, but I've been trying to find Int easy for the last 18 months.....

star

Visit site
I always wonder this as well! I think it can take different lengths of time to find a level easy; I found N easy quite quickly, but I've been trying to find Int easy for the last 18 months.....

I can't imagine Novice ever feeling easy, let alone Int. Still in awe you manage that plus everything else!