Course Designers.

MissDeMeena

Visit site
The other post got me thinking (and slightly worried, as i'm entering Bramham, SB being course builder).

When i did the Adv. at Withington (my first Adv.) i was asked lots of questions about the course, and how it differed to an Int. (coming from a first timers point of view)..
I know it's easy to say this after the event (as i had an amazing ride).. but the first thing i said when i got back to the lorry after walking was, yes it's big, but there's nothing there to catch you out.. remember "engine, line and balance" ride straight and true, and you'll be fine...

Before entering Withington i'd also noticed that one Mr Eric Winter was the course designer... He seems to do quite alot of the courses that i've had my best rides round..to the point of, when walking a line i'm not too sure of, i say 'oh well, i trust the course builder' and carry on, trying not to worry about it too much. (and then proceed to have a good ride through)

Sorry, i'm rambling now
smirk.gif
but back in my BSPS WHP days (i'm sure this is true of all showing people) we used to follow judges around that we knew liked our ponies..
I now feel like following Eric Winter around as i know i'll get an amazing ride round one of his XC courses..

I know each course builder is well known for building in a certain way, and i don't know them well enough (or have jumped enough courses) to have worked all the others out yet.

So what are other peoples thoughts on other course builders?
Eric Winter is down as my fav. as he seems to encourage bold, honest riding. He still includes old fashioned 'rider frighteners' as well as something to cause enough problems so as not to get 100% clear-rounds (therefore not a dressage come) but not once have i seen a fence or a stride designed to catch a horse out!!

MillbrookSong

heartbuster.blogspot.com
I think eric is one of the best. One of the best things ive seen him design and then ride were the double of triple brush skinnies at the end of pontispool Int and he had a run out - i though that was good as it proves that it does sometime catch people out but not most!! It just happend to catch him out!!

connie1288

Visit site
I totally agree, In a way it is liking some events and not others.
The great shame comes from the fact that Belton, used to be known as a big galloping course, I know i am only talking from my limited time eventing, but when i did Belton in 06, it was my 1st and my horses 1st novice, I walked the course and was truly petrified, every fence was enormous, but i swear there was only 1 or 2 technical fences. This year also on a 1st time novice, I was not worried by the size of the fence but by some of the questions asked.
I know I am only talking Novice but the change in the event over such a short period, and to SB, is been huge IMO.
Even in my WHP days, i used to seek 1 judges but 2 course builders.
Sorry too much ramble.

Kentisheventer

Visit site
Im simlar... our 'local' course builder designs about 6 courses out of the 8ish in our region. I do all i can to travel further as his courses are always trappy for us... and i never finish feeling like we had a good ride!

TableDancer

Visit site
Interesting thread
smile.gif
I agree re Eric - I didn't used to like his courses when he first started but think he has become fantastic
smile.gif
If you talk to him, it is clear that he cares desperately about course design and takes it extremely seriously - I think the fact that he is still riding also helps.

I always adored MES's courses and it's interesting that Eric was assistant to MES at Blenheim for a few years before taking over last year - I walked last year's Blenheim course and thought it looked great. My theory is that Eric learnt a lot from the maestro, but I could be wrong. I was also fascinated to read Mark Phillips' comments about his Burghley course in H&H, and the fact that it has been at the real limit of 4* design and he intends to bring it back a notch. Perhaps there is something in this notion that we have gone to the edge of what we can expect horses and riders to achieve at top level, and we can stop moving the goalposts to push the boundary even further (am I mixing my metaphors here
confused.gif
) If this means the dressage and SJ having a bigger impact within the top 10 or so when conditions are favourable then so be it.

kerilli

Visit site
i like Eric Smiley's coursess too, it's obvious they are built by a true rider.
Janet Plant's courses are lovely, they ride much better than they walk, which is the right way round! I've never had anything other than a great fun clear round one (well, missed a D element once but that was cos I hadn't seen it when I walked it, not horse's fault!)
I love Mark Phillipps' courses, and can forgive him his odd blips such as the Barbour Zip... prob because I only walked it and didn't have to ride it that day!
Was lucky enough to do a 3* round a Wolfgang Feld course - again, very rewarding. difficult combinations which rewarded attacking riding.
Mike Tucker's were always good, i'm not sure if he's still designing though?
I'm not sure if i've ever done a M E-S course tbh.