Covering in June?

Rollin

Visit site
How many mare owners cover first time in June?

I ask because I don't advertise AI this late in the season but notice some stallion owners are advising it is not too late. We have managed have foals on the ground in March/April for the past ten years, which gets them off to a good start.

How late is acceptable for UK breeders' mares to foal?

Tetrarch 1911

Visit site
Nothing unusual. I like foals arriving in May/June during the long, warm days and plentiful grass. I find foals arriving in March too early, let alone January/Feb. The only reason for that is for TBs to be able to be as mature as possible for 2yo races. You'll find many NH TBs are foaled in May and June because they don't begin their careers until their 4th/5th year. The latest I would cover a mare is mid-July. But if you aren't wanting a foal for showing as a young 'un and want it well-grown for the summer shows, then a June/July covering won't come amiss.

Rollin

Visit site
Thanks for your reply.

We have normally cut hay by the end of May. This year it won't be for another two weeks that is because of the lack of rain. For us March/April is good for grazing which is why we try and foal then. We won't have any good grazing left in August.

catroo

Visit site
Last year I covered in July, not what I would have originally planned but that's when the timings worked for both mare and the stallion combo I wanted. I have loads of grazing that will last right on through to Autumn so that's not a concern.

I don't like to have any foals before mid April, May is the month I normally plan for. My mares generally foal outside so by May it's mild and lots of good grass.

Tetrarch 1911

Visit site
Wow. That's tough! We have reasonable grazing right into September, getting that second flush of grass, less in nutrition but still pretty useful. I don't begin feeding hay until well into October, and only my two TB girls and my elderly pony stallion get short feed. I can see why you foal in March/April!!

But yeah ... why not continue to supply semen from your lads later into the year? If the advertising doesn't cost too much, and it isn't too much of a hassle, it might be worth a try just for this year and see what the demand is.

Thanks for your reply.

We have normally cut hay by the end of May. This year it won't be for another two weeks that is because of the lack of rain. For us March/April is good for grazing which is why we try and foal then. We won't have any good grazing left in August.

cyberhorse

Visit site
We covered our mare towards the end of June. Worked out pretty well as despite being maiden she foaled at 320 days. I would not want to put her in foal too early if we bred again given she goes for the earliest window. Worth still advertising IMHO.

Rollin

Visit site
Interesting replies. Tetrach, 2011, we don't have grass in August but have a second spring in October. That is why I like April foals.

When we lived in Scotland, our local Highland Pony breeder told me he would present his mares to the stallion from first week of April. We have never bred a May foal.

I won't accept mares for natural cover or AI without appropriate swabs etc. which takes time. I am just surprised that mare owners have not made their stallion choices by the end of May.

Rollin

Visit site
Our busiest month is June for demand on the stallions and depending on the year rolling into early July.

When do they book their mares though? Our last visiting mare was booked in February. In foal in April. We do have a very different climate.

Last edited:

varkie

www.varkiesstud.co.uk
We usually have April foals, but this year we had a challenging foaling year, so we had a bit of a pause between foaling & covering, where we really needed a break, and also to work out whether we were going to do it again next year!

We also have a mare in for covering at the moment who only showed for her first cover last night, so if she has a second cover, that will be late in June.

I think it's hard to predict weather & grass flush at the moment. Some years we seem to get an early spring, some a late spring. We will be foaling in May, possibly even into early June next year. We will see how that goes, which may affect how we cover in future.

Rollin

Visit site
When I started this thread it was because some mares were just being sent to the stallion. Our first attempts at breeding were a disaster, two mares, 7 cycles of AI both empty. One of the two also failed to conceive after four cycles of natural cover. If all goes well first cycle well and good if not then how late do you want a foal.

Our hay is cut and should be in the barn on Monday, we have days of hot dry weather and lots of flies ahead. This is why I like ours to have a couple of months on good grass. I realise it does depend on your local weather conditions.