Covid and hacking

Shay

Visit site
The answer partially depends on where in the UK you live. You can see the BHS advice here https://www.bhs.org.uk/advice-and-information/coronavirus-covid-19

For england I don't think it is clear. You can't hire an arena, gallops or a cross country course. But if you have no option but to box out and hack, rather than hacking from home, and could argue that it is essential to your horse's welfare then I suspect you would probably be OK. I don't know about your area but around us every possible area where you could box to is full of cars for families walking etc.

jnb

Visit site
"Transporting your horse is to be for welfare reasons only" I think the BEF/BHS advice was.
If you have NOWHERE to exercise your horse safely i.e you are on the M6/A5/trunk road into London AND no school or horse walker then I guess it could be argued with the Police that your journey is essential.
Otherwise - vet, possibly farrier in emergency if yours isn't mobile & that's it. Maybe to move horse from one yard or field to another if their welfare is compromised because for instance you have moved house so can't get to their current yard or field.
It's not forever. I have paid a years pass to a local (5-8 min in lorry but too dangerous to hack there) last June and have only been able to get there 4 x due to various lockdowns - it is what it is. I'd LOVE to go there but I can't.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Yes I have looked into this .
Work is essential to high welfare standards at this time year for horses that are in work .
However I think you do need to be very careful to not get yourself into bother but that nothing to do the rules as such .
Lots of people round here are traveling short distances to hack .
I have not because everywhere near is so busy with walkers and I have access to acres of farmland that others don’t .
You can go alone with one person from another household but you would need to travel apart and of course as many from your household as you want .

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
My understanding is that if you cannot exercise safely at home, ie in the school or hack from home, then you may travel a short distance to ride. However if pulled by the police they may not be very understanding. You are also potentially adding another vehicle on the road that may be in an accident and put more strain on the NHS. It's a very personal choice and everyones circumstances are different.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I have been at weekends because local hacking is dangerous as we are wedged between 2 x busy A roads and a motorway. So I box up to a friends place 15 mins away which gives me access to bridleways and hills and don't need to go near traffic. No brainer for me.

Last edited:

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
The answer partially depends on where in the UK you live. You can see the BHS advice here https://www.bhs.org.uk/advice-and-information/coronavirus-covid-19

For england I don't think it is clear. You can't hire an arena, gallops or a cross country course. But if you have no option but to box out and hack, rather than hacking from home, and could argue that it is essential to your horse's welfare then I suspect you would probably be OK. I don't know about your area but around us every possible area where you could box to is full of cars for families walking etc.

I'd love to box out somewhere to ride that isnt home. I'd love to box over to an arena, or even hire the arena 5 mins ride from my yard.
Not allowed tho.

Be careful in the SE, if anyone is thinking of boxing out as during last week and weekend, £200 fines were being issued at some car parks. Yes, to horse riders who had boxed out to hack. Daft person I know who has use of great arena and limited but usable hacking was mightily annoyed to be fined. She didn't think it applied to her. Nit!
I got pulled over, but was able to prove that the only equine thing on the box was bales of bedding, purchased less than 15 mins before at feed store.

Reactions: jnb

GinaGeo

Visit site
I've been pondering this. I am fortunate to have access to arenas. But have a horse that due to lameness niggles could really do with long straight hacking. I don't think I could justify boxing up to hack - it's over 20mins to get anywhere I'd be able to guarantee parking. But on the flipside am now considering hacking out on roads I'd normally avoid. Hoping reduced traffic might make it possible. It is dependant on weather and time of day though. We'll see.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
I’ve been interpreting it as a no. We have arenas to ride in and a small bit of off road hacking (if 500m stretch of road to get there isn’t too icy), and roads aren’t completely no-go’s. Much as I’d love to box up for the 15mins to get to the beach or into the wolds for hill work/off road stuff, I don’t think I could realistically justify it.

Leandy

Visit site
Personally I don't see why not. You can put the dog and yourself in a car to travel a short distance to exercise so I don't see why you can't do the same with a horse. Having said that it does seem that there is much confusion and it is a very grey area so you risk having to explain yourself and potentially get fined. My conscience tells me that hacking is exceptionally low risk activity however, you would really struggle to get close enough to other people for spreading the virus to be a logical problem. There is of course similar confusion over how far you can actually travel yourself for a walk.

sjdress

Visit site
There should be no none essential journeys so if it is essential that your horse is hacked for welfare then possibly, but if you are able to exercise at home if they need work then no. Also what happens if you break down , have an accident... that’s potentially more people coming into contact with each other.

GreyMane

Visit site
Desperate to go to usual hacking stables - 17 miles from me. Not being able to go to my "happy place", or see any horses at all, has been really depressing.
Was gutted therefore to hear OH's relative say what a lovely walk he and his wife had up there the other day, wild ponies around them etc. I live on the edge of a city and he's further out in the country in a village, but he's the one driving 12 miles to go for a walk.
:confused: