Covid redundancy

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
Hi - anyone else made redundant due to Covid 19?

I lost my lovely job in an Early Years Setting due to new staff to child ratios and a future policy of not taking in children under 2. This will result in a significant cut in numbers when the service reopens.

Staff were cut from 13 down to 5 based on length of service.

I have no idea going forward what the job situation will be in my sector.

The nature of the job will change beyond recognition due to regulations around social distancing and the wearing of PPE when in close contact with small children and babies.

It's a very changed world we are living in ?

Horsekaren

Visit site
I feel for you :(
I am gearing myself up to be made redundant as I work within the travel industry. I spent years in education and working on my career in which I am relatively happy... now I feel I’m going to be trained up in a broken industry which will never be the same, kicked out to scrape around the bottom of the barrel when it comes to jobs, fighting just to get any job paying minimum wage. It’s devastating, and the real cost of this isn’t even yet known.

Chappie

Visit site
Very sorry to read this Tihama :(

I'm on furlough with three other colleagues from my team, they kept the other 6 as 'Business critical'... apparently sales are 25% down, and they weren't great before this situation... waiting very anxiously to see what will happen to my role.

Thinking of everyone in this situation.

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
Really sorry to hear that, Tihama. What is it that you do in Early Years? Might there be other child-related jobs available?
I'm currently trying to find temporary work as I'm not allowed to do my normal work - you can't do reflexology or massage from 6 feet away - expecting things to be grim even as they start to ease out of lockdown.

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
Really sorry to hear that, Tihama. What is it that you do in Early Years? Might there be other child-related jobs available?
I'm currently trying to find temporary work as I'm not allowed to do my normal work - you can't do reflexology or massage from 6 feet away - expecting things to be grim even as they start to ease out of lockdown.

Thank you hope you find something ?

I'm very flexible tbf - Norland trained Nursery Nurse - graduated 1982 ? can work with ages 0 upwards in all childcare settings so hopefully something will come up when the crisis is over ?

Last edited:

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
Thank you hope you find something ?

I'm very flexible tbf - Norland trained Nursery Nurse - graduated 1982 ? can work with ages 0 upwards in all childcare settings so hopefully something will come up when the crisis is over ?
Whereabouts in the country are you? Your mentioning Norland reminded me, OH's daughter-in-law had twins in September and might be looking for someone when she goes back to work.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
so sorry to read this for you Tihama and everyone else who now find their jobs under threat. Fortunately I am retired but I can imagine how worrying it is for you younger people. Very very difficult times ahead I think for all but sadly some will feel the change much more than others. Nothing is fair about this damn virus is it? :(

angrybird1

Visit site

I lost my lovely job in an Early Years Setting due to new staff to child ratios and a future policy of not taking in children under 2. This will result in a significant cut in numbers when the service reopens.

The nature of the job will change beyond recognition due to regulations around social distancing and the wearing of PPE when in close contact with small children and babies.

I'm sorry to hear that. It's a worrying time. I'm on furlough and am waiting like a lot of others to find out when I'm likely to go back. It's strange and unsettling time. Redundancies haven't been mentioned yet but it could well be a possibility. I feel for you and hope things work out ok.

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
I'm sorry to hear that. It's a worrying time. I'm on furlough and am waiting like a lot of others to find out when I'm likely to go back. It's strange and unsettling time. Redundancies haven't been mentioned yet but it could well be a possibility. I feel for you and hope things work out ok.

Thank you - and for you too x

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
so sorry to read this for you Tihama and everyone else who now find their jobs under threat. Fortunately I am retired but I can imagine how worrying it is for you younger people. Very very difficult times ahead I think for all but sadly some will feel the change much more than others. Nothing is fair about this damn virus is it? :(

Thank you - no nothing at all x

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

Exactly what I want to say too.

GTRJazz

Visit site
Yes I had two contract jobs and was offered a permi job until the Gov put off the tax changes now unemployed and not getting any money or claiming any benefits. Horses now at home so just cost one round bale a week which is not expensive. Although I do not have a pension I could retire but would have to be careful with money.

Cragrat

Visit site
So many people either in in rotten situations, or in a kind of horrid limbo....I'm in the furloughed limbo state, and feel so sorry for those who've already been made redundant.
Being an eternal optimist, I do believe other opportunities will come out of this ....but it will take some time :(

Chianti

Visit site

Can I ask what you mean by new staff to child ratios? As far as I'm aware the EYFS ratios will remain the same. I've been working in a maintained nursery over the past few weeks. We have the children of key workers, those deemed to be at risk by social services and some of the children with SEN. We've only been wearing PPE when we would have before ie doing personal care. We decided that it was impossible to put social distancing in place with 2-4 year olds and have been putting in place regular handwashing, keeping the children outside and washing toys they have played with. I hope you find another post. I think that there will be jobs once lockdown is fully lifted and parents go back to work.

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
Can I ask what you mean by new staff to child ratios? As far as I'm aware the EYFS ratios will remain the same. I've been working in a maintained nursery over the past few weeks. We have the children of key workers, those deemed to be at risk by social services and some of the children with SEN. We've only been wearing PPE when we would have before ie doing personal care. We decided that it was impossible to put social distancing in place with 2-4 year olds and have been putting in place regular handwashing, keeping the children outside and washing toys they have played with. I hope you find another post. I think that there will be jobs once lockdown is fully lifted and parents go back to work.

Thank you - I was working in a Private Creche in Ireland - I have no idea what the new ratios will be as so far there have been no official guidelines ?‍♀️