Cow parsley - frowned upon to pick this?

npage123

Visit site
Just wondering if it's okay to pick some of this from e.g. verges or hedges? I obviously won't pick it from someone's garden, but would really like to stop the car on the way to the yard and pick some for my horse. Would this be frowned upon? Personally I've never really liked seeing e.g. naturally growing daffodils being taken from the roadside, so was wondering what other people on here would think about cow parsley being picked. Thank you :)

Puzzled

Visit site
I'd pick it, there's loads around!! Don't think it's thought of in the same way as bluebells and daffodils etc.

Louiseandmaddie

Visit site
where ever you are it's someone's local walk or drive so as long as you pick it in small amounts and don't leave it looking a mess then I don't spoze folks would mind. I happen to love cow parsley in grass verges but the farmers have been mowing it all down here anyway.

Liane

Visit site
Just make sure you are picking cow parsley and not hemlock as it is toxic! They look very similar!

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Just make sure you are picking cow parsley and not hemlock as it is toxic! They look very similar!

Yes indeed they do, so avoid ditches and anything with unusual leaves. Wikipedia had the wrong photos for a while, causing even more confusion, not sure if it is sorted. I checked, it is OK now, but still difficult to distinguish just from photos.

Last edited:

npage123

Visit site
Thank you for your replies. Oh yes I would only pick very small amounts, and I'll make sure I avoid hemlock!

MyBoyChe

Visit site
I dont have to bother to pick it for my pony, he does a very good job of stealing it for himself whilst we are hacking. For those of you old enough to remember Ermintrude the cow from the Magic Roundabout, he does a fair impression, wandering along with the flowers poking out of his mouth :). He loves this time of year, loads of lovely cow parsley to snack on, mid hack!! OP, Im sure no one would mind you picking it from hedgerows or verges.

Tnavas

Visit site
When in season I used to pick it on the way to the stables, horses love it.

Hemlock is similar but has dark purplish blotches on the stem. So check stems carefully before picking.

siennamum

Visit site
Lots of cleavers about at the moment also, horses love it and it's good for them. Mine also consider hacks at the moment as one long buffet.