cracked hooves

samhorse

Visit site
Can anyone recommend anything to help prevent cracked hooves? My mare is old with a slightly abnormal gait at times and really suffers from cracked hooves. She has regular trimming which has helped over the years but the last few months she has had massive vertical cracks appear. One in her hind hoof which goes right to the coronet band and this morning the small crack that Ya on her front goes half way up and she has lost a big chunk of foot. Is there anything that can be put on? Effol has worked for years but just doesn't seem to be doing anything. And i don't want to spend a fortune trying stuff that might not work especially as i spend a fortune keeping her happy and comfortable already, so would be interested in your experiences.

CBFan

Visit site
There are several things you need to look at to make her feet better.

The first and most important thing is diet. What is she fed on? How much etc? What is her grazing like? many hoof problems are caused by an imbalance in vits and mins. There are many supplements out there that she may benefit from - seaweed and Magnesium oxide being just two but if the underlying diet is wrong, they can only help so much. It is best to avoid feeds high in sugar and starch so look at 'lite' or mollasses free options.

Is she shod or barefoot? While I am not a member of the 'barefoot brigade' it has to be said that horses with problems such as yours can benefit from not having the hoof wall nailed into in multiple places every 6 weeks.

Thirdly, I would highly recomend Kevin Bacon hoof dressing as a daily hoof dressing instead of the effol. I now only use it every few days / once a week to help with hoof moisture and flexibility. Use the liquid stuff as it won't freeze in winter like the solid stuff. It lasts ages so is well worth the tenner it costs.

samhorse

Visit site
She is fed on hi fi light, leisure mix and sugar beet to keep her weight on. Supplement wise she has pink powder, Newmarket hoof supplement, garlic and the odd bute. She has plenty of good grass and lives out 24.7

is the Kevin Bacon hoof dressing available in tack shops? I will look into it as haven't heard of it before. Thanks

bumblelion

Visit site
I'd recommend the kevin bacon over the effol too. Used to use effol but shop ran out so I got some kevin bacon and wouldn't go back now!! I find the solid one ok during the winter so long as you can store it somewhere warm, I'm lucky my tack room has a heater in it (used in winter) which comes on and off throughout the day/night and keeps the edge off!

Pixxie

Visit site
Kevin Bacon is fab, i dont use the liquid i use the solid stuff as its easier to get hold of near me, but its available in most tack shops and is FANTASTIC, also my boy is on NAF ProFeet and its made the most enormous difference, hes gone up a shoe size since hes been on it and hes shoes last better and longer as the consistency of his hoof is much better :)

bumblelion

Visit site
She is fed on hi fi light, leisure mix and sugar beet to keep her weight on. Supplement wise she has pink powder, Newmarket hoof supplement, garlic and the odd bute. She has plenty of good grass and lives out 24.7

is the Kevin Bacon hoof dressing available in tack shops? I will look into it as haven't heard of it before. Thanks

It's in a burgundy tub, do a few products in the range, all in burgundy/maroon

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
wish people would read other post on this this has been asked 7 times in the last 2 weeks

equimins hoof mender 100% money back guarentee

really does work

CBFan

Visit site
wish people would read other post on this this has been asked 7 times in the last 2 weeks

really does work

I think the advice given varies from horse to horse. Yes certain hoof dressings are great but if the horse's diet isn't so, his feet aren't going to make a remarkable recovery by changing hoof dressings and one element of his diet.

I personally would look at cutting out the mix - will be very sweet and full of cereals which aren't great for hoof health and change the SUGARbeet to speedi-beet or similar with less sugar. THEN look at alternative supplements to help promote healthy hoof growth.

samhorse

Visit site
Thanks guys for your help.

Diamond Light - apologies for missing the other posts. I use this forum very rarely because of lack of time. However when i do in the main i find it very useful. And i am sure for every repeated post there is new information added and like me people will miss posts and be grateful for the repeated ones.

Horses24-7

Visit site

really does work

I'm sorry but why reply such a comment? If your fed up of answering don't bother! I too only loge on a couple of times a week and the forum has so many new posts I only have chance to read the most recent ones.

Piglet

Visit site
Apply Kevin Bacon hoof grease, recommended by farriers, it is made of animal fat so doesn't dry feet out, also comes with its very own bay leaf!!

Tiaan

Visit site
As previously mentioned diet will play a huge part in hoof condition. The sugar beet will not be doing you any favours at all, would suggest changing that to either kwikbeet or speedy beet. If you want to feed for condition then I would recommend feeding micronized linseed (not the linseed pellets as these are made from the leftover product used to make oil and molasses - they were originally intended for cows!).

Also you don't mention weather your horse is shod or barefoot but the cracks may be because of the way the hoof is growing, if the cracks are towards the back of the hoof then this would suggest the hoof was long in the quarters, perhaps talk to your farrier/trimmer when they next visit and ask them to have see if anything can be done