Cranbourne Farm Dressage - Anyone Recommend?

princestar

Visit site
My new horse needs backing and bringing on - I don't have an indoor school or one with lights, so am limited to early mornings or weekends. I'm want to do a bit of dressage with him, and since its a dressage yard (and its local) I'm looking at going there, but I don't mind where he goes as long as the yard is good and he is trained correctly. Does anyone recommend or have experiences; yes I know the owner is a little 'ecentric' but I don't care if she's harsh on her staff - as long as my horse is looked after well I don't care what the staff are treated like (in my opinion my horse is the important one, I don't care for the staff - sounds harsh but I'm looking at Denny's best interests) it costs 150 to 180 a week, but she has an open yard from 7am to 10pm for owners to visit - she's offered for me to do as much or as little in the breaking process as I want and my horse can go there whenever I want, she is very open - she told me 'if you have any problems, you come to me and I will sort it'

I think the horses are well treated, they all have over reach boots on in fields and then when they come in they have their feet picked out and hosed off; beds and haynets are massive.

He'd be worked betweek 4-6 days, depending on how he accepts it and what I want done; which is the basics and for him to be a confident respectful young lad.

Any recommendations please? X

eezeerider

Visit site
I know what you mean about the staff not being your responsibility, but if the staff aren't treated right then it's usually the dumb-animal (our horses) that get the pointed end of the elbow, if you know what I mean.

Super fast staff turn-over is an indicator that something in the human-relations aspect of the place isn't healthy (treated harshly? under-valued?). We all work better if we're respected and valued. Yes, the horses may all have over-reach boots and large haynets, but my advice is take heed of what's going on with the humans - after all you're one too and you've got to deal with her during the most important and influential period of your horse's life.

The humans can vote with their feet and leave. The horses, alas, can not.

Burmilla

Visit site
I think you have posted about this before? The response to that post was consistently negative, including mine. I am fond of the owner, however, having been there twice, there is no way on earth I would return. Being harsh to humans who are working there translates into them being, sometimes, harsh to the horses there. I know, I've seen it.

princestar

Visit site
Yeah, same thread - my post had totally negative replies, not a single positive experience from anyone. Even now people still message me and advise don't go there!!

I wouldn't take any crap from her or her staff towards either me or my horse; don't think I'd be there long haha.

She told me herself: 'I make my horses work, he will be a dressage horse' and other owners saying she uses whips/spurs, tight reins and force rather than being a kind, quiet rider.

Certainly not what my Denny needs.

Still looking for someone to help with backing my horse, got some recommendations I'm going to look into but its hard work!!

:) x

Jasmine86

Visit site
If you're in Dartford this would only be about 15 mins drive on the M25 (but on the other side of the river) http://www.simonewarddressage.com/ I'm not sure what she charges but I know some people who work for her who say her horses are very well treated, she is a kind rider and the staff I know really love horses and look after them well.

SpruceRI

Visit site
Yeah, same thread - my post had totally negative replies, not a single positive experience from anyone. Even now people still message me and advise don't go there!!

I wouldn't take any crap from her or her staff towards either me or my horse; don't think I'd be there long haha.

She told me herself: 'I make my horses work, he will be a dressage horse' and other owners saying she uses whips/spurs, tight reins and force rather than being a kind, quiet rider.

Certainly not what my Denny needs.

Still looking for someone to help with backing my horse, got some recommendations I'm going to look into but its hard work!!

:) x

Why are you still asking about the yard if you've heard all this then?

You aren't going to be around 24hrs a day to ensure that the unhappy staff don't take a dig at your horse nor to watch someone force your horse in his work.

I wouldn't even contemplate it personally.

Any staff member who reads this when a new horse called Denny arrives at the yard will be right miffed I suspect at your 'I don't give a damn about the treatment of the staff' comment.

That'll be an extra poke in the ribs for Denny then.

princestar

Visit site
As above in my post that you quoted *Same Thread*, was posted a while ago.

If you read through you'll see, I am not contemplating this yard, at all!

And in my last comment, again you quoted it, 'still looking for someone'. Yes its hard work but, some people do have advice and recommendations of who may be able to help me.

No, I'll be honest - I don't worry about people that work there, or their feelings?! Sure, I'm not going to treat them unfairly, I'll be polite, make conversation, please and thank you but I'm not going to get involved with how the woman treats her staff. At the end of the day, my horse is 110% my priority, so as long as he is treated well and cared for by everyone - I don't give a thought to the staff. I don't personally worry about every person that's got a crappy boss, I've been there and done that. Hence the reason that my horse isn't going there. The staff may be unhappy. Unhappy staff don't work properly. Therefore may not care for my horse correctly and I wouldn't even take that risk.

And as he isn't going there; Nor will it be an extra poke in the ribs for Denny.

Helpful.

kateean2

New User
Visit site
good point! i agree with your!
shoo.jpg