Cranleigh Show - unbelievable!!!

Doublethyme

Visit site
I cannot believe that Cranleigh are still holding their show for horses tomorrow - the blooming place can't be more than 5 miles out of the surveillance zone!!!!!

They have the front to put on their website "please support the farming community"!!!

Is it me, or is that mad!

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Mad
frown.gif
Someone on another thread asked if it was really necessary to show pix of all the animals being burned from 2001. Judging by the number of people on here who are worried about missing shows/losing entry fees, I'd say it was a very necessary reminder of what happened and what could happen again. If people are not bothered about the poor farmers, what about the poor animals?!
confused.gif

mlm

Visit site
perhaps people should boycott the show. that would show them what we think of them. i was only going to go as a spectator and think it is totally unproffessional to still be running it. when you phone the lady says yes still on but no cattle, pigs or sheep. Quite blaize about the situation

Skhosu

Visit site
I thought if all disinfected then not an issue? Also if outside the 'zones' it should be safe should it not? Sorry, not sure but I don't think it's fair to criticise people for worrying about missing shows/entry fees. For me certainly its my only hobby and a lot of money is going into the horses so it would worry me (not yet as in N. Ireland) if everything started to be cancelled.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Yeah, surely if its outwith the zone then DEFRA believe it is safe to move horses about? If not, then its DEFRA to blame and not some show who wants to go ahead. I assume they will have disinfecting precutions in place.

I dont think you should critise whoever does decide to take their horses to the show tomorrow either.

jesterfaerie

Visit site
I am fuming that they show is going ahead due to it being so close to the zone. Yes people pay a lot for entry fees but a heck of a lot more money goes into farming!
It does seem like a good money making scheme for the show though, being one of the few not to cancel! So it may get a lot of competitiors if they are willing to go and compete.

But you cannot stop people from going or holding shows if they are in the safety zones, if the precausions are taken as some people make a living from competing.

wombat

Visit site
funny, as my friend was told as she runs horse shows that all horseshows in surrey are to be canceled.. she was told by defra

vivhewe

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I dont think you should critise whoever does decide to take their horses to the show tomorrow either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that directed at me or just in general? I simply thought entry fees should be returned. Cockermouth (yes, it is a real place) had their show cancelled today (about ten minutes from me) and I presume they will be sending everyone their entry fees back as a matter of courtesy.

merlinsquest

Visit site
I bet the fees wont all be repaid as the show organisers have gone to a lot of expense too..... I think just a portion is usually returned in the event of cancellation.

I used to go through Cockermouth regularly.... it always brought a smile to my very imature face.... mind you so does Brown Willey!!!!

Emily99

Visit site
Its 3 miles out of the zone.. we're not going. Its not fair on local farmers etc. And we will be sending some emails to try and get our entries refunded. The livestock classes have been cancelled... the horses are carrying on.

Halfpass

Visit site
A surveillance / exclsion zone is put in place for that exact reason. I imagine that the people that work out this 'zone' are experts in their field and are quite capable of coming to a safe 'zone' around the affected area, possibley making this 'zone' bigger to cover themselves.
Why then is it such a crime for a show to go ahead that is at least if not more then 5 miles outside of this zone. They have taken precautions by cancelling all the livestock classes and have also taken advice from DEFRA and are acting accordingly.
I for one will be taking my horse along to Cranleigh as I am sure will many other people.
Don't get me wrong I really do feel for all people affected by the tragedy of foot and mouth but at the same time will also listen to the experts and take advice from them.

Emily99

Visit site
Its not a case of not going as we might spread it.. its more courtesy for the farmers around our yard.. they've been good to us, so we're sorta returning the favour. Cranleigh isn't a big show, we'll survive without going, whereas if the disease spreads the famers livelihoods will not.

wendygood

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Its not a case of not going as we might spread it.. its more courtesy for the farmers around our yard.. they've been good to us, so we're sorta returning the favour. Cranleigh isn't a big show, we'll survive without going, whereas if the disease spreads the famers livelihoods will not.

[/ QUOTE ]
took the words right out my mouth!

MagicMelon

Visit site
vivhewe - No, sorry it wasnt directed at you. Just towards those who were slagging off people for wanting to compete outwith the zone
smile.gif

Emily99 - I read somewhere that strangles can be spread via farm animals (not sure if this is absolutely true as cant find it on the internet now Im looking!). Im sure farms round a yard with strangles wouldn't grind to a halt out of courtesy....?

Janette

Visit site
I wouldn't bet on entry fees being returned - Royal Lancs cancelled a few weeks ago and competitors have to apply for a return of the fees. However, I have to also say that Emley Show cancelled and my cheque was returned. I'm just saying don't make assumptions.

Emily99 - Yes - Strangles is curable, but imagine the effect of Strangles on a Riding School. We were at Livery on a Riding School when there was a Strangles scare (turned out to be ok in the end) but the effect on the Yard was profound, simply from gossip. The little grandaughter of the proprietor (she was 5) was shunned by children at school, who had been told by 'horsey' parents not to play with her...... The movement of horses was stopped totally, and seeing as how the yard ran hacks - they lost this income. They sold horses on, so horses could not leave the yard to go to new homes etc.... Imagine the effect of Strangles on a top Competing yard (showing, 3DE, SJ etc) who travel the country during the season) I think it would have a big impact on their livelihood.

bandit

Visit site
Well racing hasn't been suspended either?

Who's right and who's wrong?

I for one am very very close to the outbreak, however as our yard is only horses, technically I can go to show etc as long as I don't enter the exclusion zone.

Today I had an email from Longreach Events in Surrey - again near guildford, and they are carrying on, however state clearly that if you currently keep your horse inside either of the zones, then don't move! Obviously.

Cranleigh - like many other shows carried on - without livestock. It's quite far from the outbreak itself If they operated according to all the control measures necessary then why not carry on?

Also - as an aside, who's to say that deer - roaming freely - cannot be the number 1 blame? No one is controlling htem at all! And i'm sure they aren't wiping hteir feet when they jump farm to farm.

I'm agast at the whole outbreak and very concerned as it's so close, but I do think jumping down show organisers throats is perhaps not hte best way forward.

Glorious Goodwood carried on as normal didn't it!!

Bx

seansheep

Visit site
it depends if you've got 'livestock' on the premises or merely poultry or horses

merrist wood is shut as it has livestock

Seahorse

community.webshots.com
Well I went to Cranleigh on sunday and so did a lot of other people, I've never seen so many horseboxes!
My friend's OH is on the commitee but as he is a cattle farmer he wasn't even allowed on the showground, so they were taking precautions. We had to drive through disinfected straw to go in and out.

scarlett_satin

New User
Visit site
The farmers I deal with in this area are wonderful, and I used to follow the farmers hunt, How would my farmer friend's react Iif they been infected with foot and mouth, by my selfishness,re, riding access, shows etc.?I can assure you they would know who to blame, you see one hell of a lot from a john deer.