Crate Training Plateau

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Hi folks

Wondering if anyone has any ideas/tips for pushing our crate training with Ivy in the right direction?

Going in the crate has never been a problem. She didn't have one when she arrived with but we bought one put it in the spot where her bed was, placed her bedding in it with a blanket on top, and she took herself straight in from day one. We haven't had much cause to close the door - she has the kitchen at night and the downstairs of the house when we're out, all with no problems - but want to be in a position where we can have her in there with the door closed should situations arise where its useful. For example, an emergency family situation came up a couple of weeks ago where it really would have been important for her to be able to be in the crate but she just wasn't ready, it was worked around but really wasn't ideal. I'm also thinking situations staying away from home, including some work I'm doing staying with family and Ivy needs to come with me but it just wouldn't be safe for her to be roaming the house while I'm working. It won't add up to more actual time in the crate but the door will need to be shut for the time she's in there.

I've been working on building up the time with the door closed and she's doing pretty well but we're not consistent, she doesn't get highly stressed or freak out but does whine/occasionally her version of barking in short bursts. Having her walk beforehand helps, any time she gets a nice chew/Kong/Lickmat it's in the crate and with the door closed, she gets rewarded for being calm, and if she does start to whine I wait until she is quiet before going to let her out.

I'm just feeling a bit stuck/puzzled about how to get more consistent. She's not bothered by the time in there, because it's her spot, she's not told to go there but that's where she spend a lot of her time snoozing quite happily of her own accord but closing the door seems to be a bit of an issue. I don't think it's a separation thing either - some evenings she'll come and hang out with us on the sofa but most often she chooses the crate.

The only thing I can think to try more of is to see what difference it makes with me being out of the house completely. She's done about 10 mins shut in crate with no problems, and with crate open she can do 4-5 hours home alone. She does protest a bit when I go upstairs, this has improved since she's been with us, so wondering if it's a frustration thing.

Kat_Bath

Visit site
I have next to zero experience with crates (used one with Buddy for a nanosecond and then ditched it as he was fine) but are you changing up the amount of time she's in with the door closed for? As in sometimes 2 minutes, sometimes 20 minutes, sometimes 5, sometimes 15? Also, and I might sound a bit nuts for this, but as well as a treat after, do you cuddle or play at all? Both Harvey and Buddy get rewarded in cuddles and play after doing most things, as well as treats, especially when actually training. With Harvey, it really instilled what seemed to me like a sense of pride, and he was always so happy. Buddy is still getting there.

Do you also cover the door so the crate is fully covered? That may/may not help. Also, and this might sound even madder than cuddles, but I was fully prepared to try with with Buddy, could you use something more prominent to indicate a closed crate - the locking mechanism on crates looks the same as the rest of the metal work so my thinking was that if there was a big clip, or rope or something, that it would be more of a physical indication that it was crate-locking-in time. Then, when the crate is open, the extra thing is fully removed so that it's more obvious that they're not going to get shut in. Does that make any sense at all?! ?

Did you also have a read of the thread posted over the weekend about hyperactive dogs (think it was Penny Less who posted) - there were a couple of useful things about being calm and settled, which I found useful to think about.

It sounds like she's doing really, really well though (plus, she is so gorgeous!) and I love reading your posts as, from a selfish POV, it makes me feel less isolated, having had Buddy now for 3 months but still having to navigate some hurdles.

some show

Visit site
When Joe had a crate at the beginning, I would only shut the door when he either had a long-lasting treat (a bit of tendon or cow's ear) or he needed to sleep (after a meal, after a walk) so I knew he'd be settled for a good while - and I'd use that time to do some jobs and be walking in and out of the kitchen, out to the bins, upstairs etc. So he was happily chomping on his chew but also keeping one eye on me, and could see that me coming and going was actually quite boring and that I came back every single time. I did his separation training with him crated, and it was a very boring process over about two weeks where I came and went over and over again and gradually built up the time, sometimes sitting outside the front door for 2 mins, 5 mins, 1 min, 3 mins etc!

He only had the crate for about a month but my house is really small, he just has the run of the living room and the hall and that's it. It sounds like you're doing everything right, just maybe need to do more coming and going and - like KB said - randomise the time you keep the door shut to keep Ivy guessing!

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I have next to zero experience with crates (used one with Buddy for a nanosecond and then ditched it as he was fine) but are you changing up the amount of time she's in with the door closed for? As in sometimes 2 minutes, sometimes 20 minutes, sometimes 5, sometimes 15? Also, and I might sound a bit nuts for this, but as well as a treat after, do you cuddle or play at all? Both Harvey and Buddy get rewarded in cuddles and play after doing most things, as well as treats, especially when actually training. With Harvey, it really instilled what seemed to me like a sense of pride, and he was always so happy. Buddy is still getting there.

Do you also cover the door so the crate is fully covered? That may/may not help. Also, and this might sound even madder than cuddles, but I was fully prepared to try with with Buddy, could you use something more prominent to indicate a closed crate - the locking mechanism on crates looks the same as the rest of the metal work so my thinking was that if there was a big clip, or rope or something, that it would be more of a physical indication that it was crate-locking-in time. Then, when the crate is open, the extra thing is fully removed so that it's more obvious that they're not going to get shut in. Does that make any sense at all?! ?

Did you also have a read of the thread posted over the weekend about hyperactive dogs (think it was Penny Less who posted) - there were a couple of useful things about being calm and settled, which I found useful to think about.

It sounds like she's doing really, really well though (plus, she is so gorgeous!) and I love reading your posts as, from a selfish POV, it makes me feel less isolated, having had Buddy now for 3 months but still having to navigate some hurdles.

Ah I'm glad you like the posts! Sometimes I feel so out of my depth and like I'm asking silly questions. Plus trying to navigate various training resources online makes my head spin sometimes, it's hard working through what's going to help and what to leave out.

The crate is usually covered apart from the front section. I'm having a play around to see if more/less coverage will help.

We're still working out play with Ivy. I got it a bit wrong when I bought her a tug toy without properly establishing 'the rules' and realised quite quickly she was just trying to fight me for the toy rather than enjoying the game! Now she's got a slightly better 'wait' I'm using that to do some hide and seek with treats/toys so we can have a round of that between crate time. She does quite like a cuddle though, or her version of it which is lean on me or put her face in my chest and wait for scratches.

Relieved that it sounds like we're on the right track, just frustrating sometimes not knowing how to progress it that bit further - especially when she doesn't seem to have a problem with the crate itself. She doesn't need to spend great amounts of time in there with the door closed, as when we go out she has all of downstairs (but I suspect stays in the crate anyway, it's always where we find her on our return). When I go to this job later this week she won't be on her own really, people are coming and going, it's a familiar house as we've stayed there before, and I can bring her out regularly in my breaks. She can also get a bonus lunchtime walk which she wouldn't usually get! At home if I'm pottering about she doesn't mind it at all, it's extending the time a bit so I can be out for a decent enough chunk of time to get some work done.

I've reinstated 'Ivy cam' aka a Zoom call between my iPad and laptop, so I can spy on her instead of feeling like I need to rush in when she's moving about. Sometimes she's just re-arranging herself so probably doesn't need me coming in to check/disturb her. It's going a bit better today. We've had a 30 mins chunk, with some popping up and downstairs which I think is the best we've done so far. :)

Kat_Bath

Visit site
Ah I'm glad you like the posts! Sometimes I feel so out of my depth and like I'm asking silly questions. Plus trying to navigate various training resources online makes my head spin sometimes, it's hard working through what's going to help and what to leave out.

The crate is usually covered apart from the front section. I'm having a play around to see if more/less coverage will help.

We're still working out play with Ivy. I got it a bit wrong when I bought her a tug toy without properly establishing 'the rules' and realised quite quickly she was just trying to fight me for the toy rather than enjoying the game! Now she's got a slightly better 'wait' I'm using that to do some hide and seek with treats/toys so we can have a round of that between crate time. She does quite like a cuddle though, or her version of it which is lean on me or put her face in my chest and wait for scratches.

Relieved that it sounds like we're on the right track, just frustrating sometimes not knowing how to progress it that bit further - especially when she doesn't seem to have a problem with the crate itself. She doesn't need to spend great amounts of time in there with the door closed, as when we go out she has all of downstairs (but I suspect stays in the crate anyway, it's always where we find her on our return). When I go to this job later this week she won't be on her own really, people are coming and going, it's a familiar house as we've stayed there before, and I can bring her out regularly in my breaks. She can also get a bonus lunchtime walk which she wouldn't usually get! At home if I'm pottering about she doesn't mind it at all, it's extending the time a bit so I can be out for a decent enough chunk of time to get some work done.

I've reinstated 'Ivy cam' aka a Zoom call between my iPad and laptop, so I can spy on her instead of feeling like I need to rush in when she's moving about. Sometimes she's just re-arranging herself so probably doesn't need me coming in to check/disturb her. It's going a bit better today. We've had a 30 mins chunk, with some popping up and downstairs which I think is the best we've done so far. :)

Definitely not silly questions - would it help if I started a thread with all my daft questions about Buddy that are spinning round and round my head? I think they're bonkers, but I currently think he is a bit weird, so maybe we are a well suited dog/owner combo! Haha!

It really sounds like she's doing so well. I have to remind myself all the time that we have had Harvey for 3 and a half years and remember what he was like when we first got him compared to now. Granted, he has calmed with age (and I'm hoping Buddy does too, although I doubt it somewhat as he is so READY FOR EVERYTHING!), but we have built a relationship with him and it does take a while. It's getting there with Bud though - today on the lunchtime walk, we had a very lovely time and I was so proud of him, and I'm mostly writing that down so that I can read it back again if he looses his head soon ;)

Ivy-cam Zoom sounds perfect! If you want a recommendation for a camera that doesn't require you to be on the phone with yourself (ha!), this one is really great: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8765024?clickPR=plp:2:58 I wouldn't normally make recommendations as I worry others won't find whatever it is as good, but this was the best 20 quid I ever spent!

Don't forget as well (and I should take my own advice here), it's a big change and adjustment for you as well. I am still learning when I need to do something with Buddy. He self harms when stressed, so to start with, I was a bit worried about him chewing his leg, but now I have faith that he's not just downstairs munching away.

Just keep doing what you're doing and give her a cuddle from me :)

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
We covered the crate at the start-they’re only crated for about 6 hours overnight. They have kongs in there if I go out during the day or when the dogwalker leaves. I’m hoping we can dispense with the crates soon, I’ve only ever used them for puppies/injuries. They’re frankly wrecking my lounge!

Have you tried feeding her in there? Does she have a favourite toy? Is there water? Mine will go in during the evening for water/naps. They have bowls that screw onto the bars.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Definitely not silly questions - would it help if I started a thread with all my daft questions about Buddy that are spinning round and round my head? I think they're bonkers, but I currently think he is a bit weird, so maybe we are a well suited dog/owner combo! Haha!

It really sounds like she's doing so well. I have to remind myself all the time that we have had Harvey for 3 and a half years and remember what he was like when we first got him compared to now. Granted, he has calmed with age (and I'm hoping Buddy does too, although I doubt it somewhat as he is so READY FOR EVERYTHING!), but we have built a relationship with him and it does take a while. It's getting there with Bud though - today on the lunchtime walk, we had a very lovely time and I was so proud of him, and I'm mostly writing that down so that I can read it back again if he looses his head soon ;)

Ivy-cam Zoom sounds perfect! If you want a recommendation for a camera that doesn't require you to be on the phone with yourself (ha!), this one is really great: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8765024?clickPR=plp:2:58 I wouldn't normally make recommendations as I worry others won't find whatever it is as good, but this was the best 20 quid I ever spent!

Don't forget as well (and I should take my own advice here), it's a big change and adjustment for you as well. I am still learning when I need to do something with Buddy. He self harms when stressed, so to start with, I was a bit worried about him chewing his leg, but now I have faith that he's not just downstairs munching away.

Just keep doing what you're doing and give her a cuddle from me :)

I think that thread might help, I'll keep an eye out for it haha! ;) That's so great you had a good walk, those moments are the best.

Thank you for the cam recommendation, the Zoom thing is a faff and I have been thinking of getting one - I thought they would be more expensive so I think I'll go for that one. I learned from the camera today that her whining can sound a lot more dramatic than it looks - she's quite relaxed in her body, head and snoot resting on her pillow, gently letting out her whines to register her displeasure.

You're definitely right about the adjustment bit. We did as much research as we could in advance but there's so much to learn along the way. She's doing a great job really - on Saturday she went on the train with us to London with a change at Waterloo and she behaved so beautifully at OH's granny's house. Every so often I think, 'my god did we teach her that?!'

I think I spend too much time on dog social media which doesn't help. Everyone obviously posts the best bits, not always the work to get there or when things 'go wrong', and there's so much polarised discussion it just constantly makes me think we're doing things 'wrong' but don't know what 'right' even looks like.

We covered the crate at the start-they’re only crated for about 6 hours overnight. They have kongs in there if I go out during the day or when the dogwalker leaves. I’m hoping we can dispense with the crates soon, I’ve only ever used them for puppies/injuries. They’re frankly wrecking my lounge!

Have you tried feeding her in there? Does she have a favourite toy? Is there water? Mine will go in during the evening for water/naps. They have bowls that screw onto the bars.

We've never fed her in there as she never had any problems going in. I need to get a water bowl for the crate now we're building the time up.

Toys are a bit tricky as her favourite ones are the ones she 'cronches' to bits (it puts my teeth on edge, she gets them right in the side of her mouth and chews). We've tried non squeaky, non stuffy but still not found 'the one' that will keep her interest but she doesn't just want to destroy - I feel envious of people who post pics of their dogs all snuggled up with their toys while Ivy's latest victim is now a rope in a furry tube of what was a fox but now has no head, legs, or tail! Of course once they've been destroyed she's not interested in them any more. She has a ball you put treats in which has proved quite robust and she's stopped chewing that since she worked out it doesn't get the treats out. It's more one for rolling around the house/garden.

The kong and lickmat she has in there and I feel quite happy with her being safe with those unattended, pigs ears and pizzles she has when I'm still around but not in the room all the time, her ostrich bone and yak chew I give her only if I'm in the room or next room so I can keep a closer eye.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I think you are over thinking this. Ivy sounds as if she is doing well, as do you. I would pop the stuffed Kong in the crate with her, shut the door and leave the room, popping back and leaving again, ignoring the odd noise, so that you don't inadvertently teach her that she can get you to let her out whenever she likes.
I know how you feel about the soft toys; our dogs inherited a basket full of soft toys that had belonged to my parents' 2 Labs, they were all intact except for having had any pompoms removed. None of them lasted for longer than an afternoon when ours got hold of them!

some show

Visit site
Greyhounds can be very whiny (that quiet nasal whine that drives a body mad) and can do it for a LONG time before they realise you're not responding, too! They hardly ever bark, but they're bloody good at complaining ?

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I think you are over thinking this. Ivy sounds as if she is doing well, as do you. I would pop the stuffed Kong in the crate with her, shut the door and leave the room, popping back and leaving again, ignoring the odd noise, so that you don't inadvertently teach her that she can get you to let her out whenever she likes.
I know how you feel about the soft toys; our dogs inherited a basket full of soft toys that had belonged to my parents' 2 Labs, they were all intact except for having had any pompoms removed. None of them lasted for longer than an afternoon when ours got hold of them!

I literally own these socks... :D

1647292779550.png

I think the experience trying to leave her at my mum's set my confidence back with it because Ivy really was upset, not just whining. It was being in an unfamiliar house I think, just too much too soon.

I wish I could find something to satisfy her soft toy cravings to safely destuff but even under close supervision and with her not actually trying to eat them she's thrown up a couple of pieces of toy before so we're just not going there any more!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I literally own these socks... :D

View attachment 89022

I think the experience trying to leave her at my mum's set my confidence back with it because Ivy really was upset, not just whining. It was being in an unfamiliar house I think, just too much too soon.

I wish I could find something to satisfy her soft toy cravings to safely destuff but even under close supervision and with her not actually trying to eat them she's thrown up a couple of pieces of toy before so we're just not going there any more!

I rather like those socks!

You know now that leaving her at your mum's was too much, too soon but that doesn't mean that you can never leave her again, anywhere. Just take a couple of steps back (which might just be a crate back at home) and build up again from there. You and she will be fine.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Greyhounds can be very whiny (that quiet nasal whine that drives a body mad) and can do it for a LONG time before they realise you're not responding, too! They hardly ever bark, but they're bloody good at complaining ?

I am so glad our only connecting neighbour also has dogs. They said they only occasionally hear her but we hear theirs quite a bit. It doesn't bother us, they have a little JRT that sounds cross all the time and a new something-doodle pup whose has some crying moments but to be expected so we don't mind too much.

Ivy whines in the morning and I did end up putting my foot down that we were not going to be getting up progressively earlier and earlier. OH thought I was being mean but things have improved significantly on that front so I'm glad we rode that phase out. Mostly she's luxuriating in her crate, snuggled up and laying flat out, whining for us to come down. If she's feeling more energetic she'll come to the bottom of the stairs and put a bit more welly into it! Once her breakfast has been had she's back to bed. What a life!

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I rather like those socks!

You know now that leaving her at your mum's was too much, too soon but that doesn't mean that you can never leave her again, anywhere. Just take a couple of steps back (which might just be a crate back at home) and build up again from there. You and she will be fine.

A gift to myself to boost morale during thesis, and to laugh at myself about whatever I was overthinking at the time.

I do get anxious about taking her to other places but she almost always does far better than I imaging. I try to make sure to be calm and confident with her to not let the anxiety show too much. Where we're going this week she's been before and stayed overnight for nearly a week at Christmas. I actually think she likes being there more than at home because it's a much bigger house so no reversing all the time, and there's underfloor heating, and more people to adore her!

some show

Visit site
Ivy whines in the morning and I did end up putting my foot down that we were not going to be getting up progressively earlier and earlier. OH thought I was being mean but things have improved significantly on that front so I'm glad we rode that phase out.

This is me 6 years ago! Joe was just the same back then, and if he heard me make even the slightest sound of getting up then he'd ramp it up. You're definitely doing the right thing!

Kat_Bath

Visit site
I LOVE and need those socks!!

I think that thread might help, I'll keep an eye out for it haha! ;) That's so great you had a good walk, those moments are the best.

Thank you for the cam recommendation, the Zoom thing is a faff and I have been thinking of getting one - I thought they would be more expensive so I think I'll go for that one. I learned from the camera today that her whining can sound a lot more dramatic than it looks - she's quite relaxed in her body, head and snoot resting on her pillow, gently letting out her whines to register her displeasure.

You're definitely right about the adjustment bit. We did as much research as we could in advance but there's so much to learn along the way. She's doing a great job really - on Saturday she went on the train with us to London with a change at Waterloo and she behaved so beautifully at OH's granny's house. Every so often I think, 'my god did we teach her that?!'

I think I spend too much time on dog social media which doesn't help. Everyone obviously posts the best bits, not always the work to get there or when things 'go wrong', and there's so much polarised discussion it just constantly makes me think we're doing things 'wrong' but don't know what 'right' even looks like.

Hope the camera works as well for you - fingers crossed. We had another one but it was utterly useless!

Whining is an on interesting one... Buddy is very chatty but Harvey is silent as a mouse. I wonder if some dogs are just vocal, and not always/just barking...?

I remember reading your thread and you couldn't have been more prepared, but all credit to you, because no where near as many people do that. I know I keep banging on about my situation but we had a dog for 3 and a bit years and not even that really prepared us for Buddy! But it's made me realise that every single dog is different, and I knew that, but it has shown me the positives of that! Also, I think sometimes we over-think and over-research. Well, I do ? Hence me saying I need those socks!

Going on the train and into London is a big thing and shows that trust has been built. Waterloo though - that brings back memories! Been ages since I've been there!

Social media is currently a bit of a thorn in the side for me as well, just now. I'm having to really be consious of how much time I spend on it. Also, I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to having a dog, but it looks like everyone does it right. I'll PM you next time some s**t hits the fan here, for a little dose of realism - probably tomorrow when Bud freaks out at a little fluffy dog that I'm not sure he even realises is a dog...!

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
This is me 6 years ago! Joe was just the same back then, and if he heard me make even the slightest sound of getting up then he'd ramp it up. You're definitely doing the right thing!

For some reason we still haven't worked through her whining while I go back upstairs after my shower to get dressed in the morning. At least she doesn't do it with OH any more because he gets showered and dressed much earlier!

I like seeing her personality come out a bit more, mostly, sometimes it's a bit annoying but we'll get a nice middle ground eventually. At dinner time she comes in to 'tell me' with a lot of snorting and 'hoooow-ing' and generally being a pain. When her tail noodle start going you know she's up to something!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We had a phase when one of the Labs started barking about an hour before getting up time. I used to get up, let her out and go back to bed. If she started making a noise again, I got up and sat in the living room with her in the dark, reading my kindle and taking no notice of her. She got over it.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
We'll start that tomorrow. Her lady noodleship will love breakfast in bed!

We've never done it as didn't seem necessary for getting her in there but if there's a chance it will improve things there's no reason not to give it a go. I can see how it could really help for when we're in unfamiliar places too.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Re different houses, my eldest dog was crate trained from day 1 and has travelled all over Europe but is not comfortable in other people's houses, got worse the older he got, in a crate or not, he just circles and whimpers. He's much happier in the van rather than a strange house, for whatever reason. Just a nerve thing I think.
The middle dog loves being on the road, has been in multiple houses/hotel rooms etc.

windand rain

Visit site
Willow is crate trained but doesn#t like strange houses even in her crate she gets very stressed but will sit in the car for hours as long as its not too hot or cold she would stay there for days. She isn't keen on it moving though. I wish there was some easy way to neutralise the temperature in the car as she gets older she would rather stay home in her crate/ free downstairs depending how long we are out for. For us to go on holiday means someone needs to move in for the time we are away it is a bit of a pain aswe used to be able to board her with the dog walker but she refuses to eat and makes herself ill she is so stressed

lozzles

Visit site
The other house thing is so strange and such a pain! Ours never even cried at night her first night as a puppy at ours. Loves her crate very settled. You take her to a holiday cottage or equivalent and she sounds like an 8 week old puppy at night. We have now taken to just putting her crate in our room when we sleep and she's happy with that if we are away.

Hopefully Ivy will feel more settled the more you go to different places. That's definitely the covid piece missing from our puzzle. Happy to visit, staying is more confusing for her.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Update on this one. After all my worrying, Ivy actually didn't need to spend much time shut in her crate when we were away. She had her own room in the house to be shut in over night and she settled perfectly, with a bit of help the first night just with me sat next to her crate while she relaxed and then she was fine. She had the run of downstairs while I was working and work is a shed at the end of OH's parents' garden so I was never far away. She LOVED the attention and being adored by everyone from work. Once she figured out that people come and go through the day she wasn't worried about people going out the back door. The only time she went in the crate was when we needed to keep the door open to load some things as the garden isn't secure. She wasn't loving it so some more practice needed but she was fine.

She did let herself down slightly by stealing and entire loaf of fancy organic bread (I think it's too much faith in a dog to leave it out at snoot height and expect to leave the room, are my standards too low?!) She promptly looked very peaky so out we went for her to throw it all up ?

She also decided to come visit me upstairs where she is very not allowed! Stopping by the bathroom to steal a loo roll and trot round the in laws bedroom with it to say good morning. Naughty noodle!

Overall she did a great job and I'm glad she didn't need to be shut in the crate very much but we'll keep working on it for practice. ?

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I saw her polish off the last bit of bread and thought it wouldn't do any harm, then looked at her tummy and thought "oh s**t" Then she looked at me as if to say the same thing, so out to the garden we went! I'm hoping she learned the lesson but I'm not sure if dogs work like that ?

She likes a loo roll. I'm not sure if we should allocate her one to get the urge out or if it will just make her want them even more.

Kat_Bath

Visit site
If she does learn, please send her to visit Harvey. He ate something on a walk about a month back now, and ended up at the vets for an anti-sickness jag. He was off his food, tired, vomiting, etc etc. Does he still try and eat everything he sees? Of course. No lesson learnt whatsoever!

I shouldn't have laughed at that but just had visions of you allocating loo roll to all household members: One for you, one for you, one for me, and so on! I don't know if that would satisfy or encourage... I would hazard a guess at encourage her to collect more, so then you'd be in trouble, if she started stealing your allocation, and no one wants to be caught short! I'd put money on the fact she'd never bring you one if you need one as well - she'd bring you everything else apart from that!

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Yes I think it's optimistic to think she wouldn't do exactly the same again given the chance!

I suspect she would shred her own loo roll and just come back for more. At home we keep the bathroom door shut as it's downstairs, or sometimes if I see her heading that way it's enough just to call her over. Today was more like "Ivy...no...Ivy...ffs...dammit Ivy...no...you cheeky monkey!" ? How she found them so quick in a part of that house she's never been in was kind of impressive.

Does 2.5 years old still count as the puppy stage for a dog?! ?

Spotherisk

Visit site
I have read the thread but am struggling to see what the actual
Problem is? She has a bit of a whinge but no real protest, is that right? My lurcher pup has been crated from the start, it’s covered and out of drafts and he is happy in it, he does whinge occasionally but only for a couple of minutes and at 11 months now gets told to be quiet, which he does and then sometimes gets a treat. In your position I would make sure she’s emptied then stick her in and go out for a couple of hours.