Crates!

Shantara

Visit site
I hope I don't offend any one! But I'm absolutely sick to death of hearing about crates and how they will help my dog an unimaginable amount. There is nothing wrong with my pup, aside from she jumps on the sofa, but we're working on it! She's pretty much house trained (only 2 accidents in a month!) and she can be left for short amounts of time, which are are slowly increasing. I can also leave her on the yard and do my jobs now without her crying!

Why are crates the new thing? I don't want to stable my horse and I certainly don't want to stable my dog! From my personal opinion, they never quite look big enough, especially for large breeds, which my girl is certainly going to be!
My house is also tiny and the people pushing me to get one know this. I'd rather just stick her in the kitchen, if she's going to be locked anywhere! I'm nearly always with her, and if not me, then my parents!
My old dog was never in a crate and I don't want Tamriel to be in one either.
A friend also said "When you go to the yard in winter, you'll need to leave her in a crate at home" will I? She's a double-coated dog, who will grow big and poofy in the winter! She's descended from Alaskan breeds, I'm pretty sure she'll be fine. If not, that's what coats are for.

Sorry for the rant. It's just so frustrating as I know she wouldn't like a crate and I wouldn't either, not to mention my parents! I'm not judging anyone who does it, I just know they're not for me!

EQUIDAE

Visit site
It been shown that a covered crate is preferred to an open bed as it i more like a 'den'. I wouldn't lock a dog in one though

Shantara

Visit site
It been shown that a covered crate is preferred to an open bed as it i more like a 'den'. I wouldn't lock a dog in one though

I can understand that, she's got her den under the table and behind the chair and outside she goes under one of the trees, which is lovely and enclosed, but yes, people are talking about locking her in one.

Clodagh

Visit site
It makes life an awful lot easier! Ours sleep in one until they are about 6 months old, it is no worse than putting a child in a cot tbh.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
My large breed dog is five and still sleeps in his airline crate (XXL, bought from a quarantine kennel who fly dogs long haul) almost every night. When I leave him to sleep loose I have to shut the kitchen door or else he will just go and stand beside the crate wondering why the door is shut.
If I leave it open its just where he prefers to be.
He also travels in one in the car, so that he doesn't kill me with his bulk or go flying out the window in the event of an accident.

Had I not crated him in youth he would probably have destroyed the house and eviscerated all the furniture, and choked to death in the process.
Before anyone says I should have trained him not to, it's hard to train a dog when you're not in the same room as it, and his urge to constantly have something in his gob is a genetic proclivity and one of the reasons why I bought him.

So that's why I use mine.

Last edited:

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
I hope I don't offend any one! But I'm absolutely sick to death of hearing about crates and how they will help my dog an unimaginable amount. There is nothing wrong with my pup, aside from she jumps on the sofa, but we're working on it! She's pretty much house trained (only 2 accidents in a month!) and she can be left for short amounts of time, which are are slowly increasing. I can also leave her on the yard and do my jobs now without her crying!

Why are crates the new thing? I don't want to stable my horse and I certainly don't want to stable my dog! From my personal opinion, they never quite look big enough, especially for large breeds, which my girl is certainly going to be!
My house is also tiny and the people pushing me to get one know this. I'd rather just stick her in the kitchen, if she's going to be locked anywhere! I'm nearly always with her, and if not me, then my parents!
My old dog was never in a crate and I don't want Tamriel to be in one either.
A friend also said "When you go to the yard in winter, you'll need to leave her in a crate at home" will I? She's a double-coated dog, who will grow big and poofy in the winter! She's descended from Alaskan breeds, I'm pretty sure she'll be fine. If not, that's what coats are for.

Sorry for the rant. It's just so frustrating as I know she wouldn't like a crate and I wouldn't either, not to mention my parents! I'm not judging anyone who does it, I just know they're not for me!

Unfortunately we have to crate ours at night as it is very destructive and chews up and damaged so many things including personal things, if left to roam the house at night

chillipup

Visit site
My pup, Tallulah, (18 weeks this week) was already used to sleeping in a crate overnight when I got her. I'd never used one before, all previous dogs were started off with their own bed in the kitchen overnight. However, I was swayed by friends to try it and bought a medium sized one as the crate sizes deemed suitable for a pup, (she's a Shih Tzu x JRT) seemed very small to me. I only use the crate for her overnight and she has a choice during the day of using either her own bed or her crate (door left open) She uses both.

She's been clean in her crate overnight from day one and she is nearly getting there being clean during the day now. I left her alone during the day for 1 1/2 hours for the very first time last week, in the kitchen with just her bed (plus toys etc) and she remained clean, so I tried her overnight in the crate with the door left open...sadly it didn't go quite so well (I left her in the sitting room, as is usual because it's warmer than the kitchen overnight). The sitting room has carpet, the kitchen vinyl. I'll be leaving her loose in the kitchen overnight soon, now it's getting warmer, as it's so much easier to clean up any accidents there than in the sitting room.

For the back of the car, I bought her a large, light weight, nylon mesh travel cage that has zip up front and sides which she can see out of, with (yet another) bed inside. She's always been clean when in the car travelling.

I don't know whether the crate in the house has helped or hindered her toilet training and had she not already been used to one, (and the kitchen was warmer overnight) I doubt if I'd have bought one. If I should adopt an adult rescue dog later on, unless it's been used to sleeping in a crate, I don't think I'd bother again. Of course, if it's already house trained, that would be bloody marvelous :)

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
I find them infinitely useful, for reasons ranging from safe travel to speeding up toilet training to not freaking the dog out if it ever has to stay in at the vets, in the same way that although my horses live out 99% of the time I still have stables to use. They're not obligatory though. :)

BSL

Visit site
Different things work for different people and their pets. Didnt work for mine, although they go in one for travel and at the yard for safety reasons, and they are fine. I always go with the flow with my animals. I take on board as much info as i can, and choose what suits :)

Dobiegirl

Visit site
I used to be anti-crate even though I had never used them, just disliked them on principle, we then got a pup. My daughter bought her a crate and at 5years old she still sleeps in it and loves it, its a safe place for her to travel and if she ever stays away her crate goes with her.

I foster and most are adult dogs although young and most are not house trained, the rescue supply the crate according to the size of dog and they are amazing for house training. All my foster dogs sleeps in their crates from choice and the new owner is recommended to carry on with it.

If introduced carefully it holds no fear for dogs and actually is a safe haven for them, when my male Dobe had his cruciate op he was in vet hospital for 3 days, they were impressed with how chilled he was because he was used to a crate.

No one is forcing you to use a crate, it has to be your choice and has to be introduced gradually so they dog comes to like it, no one is going to judge you for not using a crate.

Peter7917

Visit site
I have a very anxious little bitch who absolutely loves her crate. Whenever she feels overwhelmed she will jump into her crate and give herself a time out. She jumps in at dinner time as she prefers dinner away from the other dogs, she puts herself in after walks to rest. It's her safe place.

{97702}

Visit site
I have never crate trained my rescue greyhounds - it is just part of life, occasionally they are shut in it, mostly they sleep in it with the door wide open, it is invaluable to have as an option IMHO - I mainly use it for very wet/dirty dogs who have usually rolled in something horrible and need to dry off before they can mix with humanity again :)

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
when my lurcher isn't on the sofa with me she will normally go upstairs and sleep in her crate..it is covered with a blanket and she ilikes to use it , she is never shut in...I have an atlas crate with 2 separate sections for the car and both of my dogs are much calmer and IMO safer shut in just in case of an accident, also I can leave all the windows open without worrying that they will jump out , very useful in hot weather if in a traffic jam

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
If you don't want to crate - don't crate. And those 'pushing' you to do so should simply be told to mind their own business. Simples :)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
It is of course absolutely your choice. I had never used a crate before we got the current 2 dogs. We have a massive double crate which fits the 2 Rottweilers comfortably. As I type, they are both in there, snoring away. They have the option to sleep on sheepskin rugs in front of the stove but it must have got too warm. The crate is a nuisance be ause it takes up so much room but the dogs love it!

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
i used to be anti crate, but now I love mine. since my beddie was a pup he has slept in his crate. I introduced my rescue whippet to it the day I collected her and she loves hers. If I leave the door open she nips back in for a sleep. At home I crate my whippet at night as she is a wanderer in the night and her ultimate aim is to get into my bed, and then move around as much as she possibly can. So crate it is then. If I go away i take one very large cage for the two of them to share and the will happily sleep in there together. If Im showing my beddie i take his small crate to the show, again he settles immediately and sleeps. THey are both used to their crates and it creates a home away from home when we go away. And they settle happily into them.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Its your choice of course, but having spent most of my dog owning life in the pre crate days I a now a huge fan. If I could be bothered with the hassle of posting a photo on here I would take a picture just now of my 2 GSDs both lying in their crates, with the doors open and indeed the back door open. They are crated at night because the younger bitch mithers her mother if they are left loose together.
Our heeler also has a crate, he travels around lot , both with my daughter to work and with me to shows and his crate is his secure place to settle down .

Thistle

Visit site
It makes life an awful lot easier! Ours sleep in one until they are about 6 months old, it is no worse than putting a child in a cot tbh.

We do that too, it keeps them safe, stop them annoying the other dogs, prevents unwanted chewing and keeps me sane.

It also help with travelling in a car cage and possible future kennelling or vets visits.

Your pup, your choice though.

Last edited:

Suzie86

Visit site
Completely down to you - the only bit I would disagree with is that you know she wouldn't like the crate. I would imagine it's more you, and the fact that it just looks, and well is, a cage!

We have three spaniels - the youngest is a year now. We still have the crate out in the lounge as while I trust her not to destroy anything she just loves it!! She is shut in it overnight but to be honest more out of habit than anything - but the door is wide the rest of the time and she always takes herself off to her crate, she just loves it. It's filled with a cosy bed and covered over with blankets to make a den.

On the other hand there's nothing wrong with leaving her in the kitchen so tell these people to mind their own :D

galaxy

Visit site
Both my boys love there crates, and go in them have a rest even with door wide open. I don't shut the door in my older one anymore, but with the dog monitor I have that's where he chooses to sleep while we are out. He is an anxious dog and without the crate we would have had severe separation anxiety issues.

My younger one is just 1 and is still crated, door shut while we are out and overnight. He is not trustworthy in terms of chewing, so he is crated for his own safety. He will also end up with door open once mature.

Crates also mean it is easy to go and stay the night at people's houses. For your dog, they feel safe, secure and its home from home that perhaps just a bed wouldn't give them. But also I have found even people not so keen on dogs have not minded them staying when they know they will be created at night and not going to choose their sofa!

Damnation

Visit site
When done properly, dogs love them. And its not a new thing, we crate trained our old girl 13 years ago. Even now if we put it up for whatever reason she is in the crate and fast asleep. Our other 2 were also both crate trained and again, they all pile in when it goes up!

Its a "safe" "quiet" space for them, not a thing of cruelty.

Whatever floats your boat, if you don't like them and your training is going well (sounds like it is) then continue as you are.

For us with multiple dogs it was better especially to enforce quiet time for the older dogs who wanted a puppy break and for puppy who needed some down time but wanted to play!

ETA: Our crates are HUGE, 2 Labradors and a Basset Hound so sizeable dogs.

Last edited:

Janah

Visit site
I have used crates for both of my girls, labs. means I can leave them as pups with no fear of them chewing and swallowing things they shouldn't and would be dangerous for them and so saving on vets bills. Never used them as punishment. Both girls will retire to them to this day, the doors are always open, for sleep, time out. The girls are now 11 and 8 yrs old.

If used in a positive way are a real blessing.

Having said that when kids visit it is them I want to put in crates!

PingPongPony

Visit site
It's up to you completely. My mini poodle was never crated, she's always been a saint. My 18 month old toy poodle is a nasty piece of work if left to her own devices, so I crate trained her for her safety and my sanity. She loves her crate, door is always open when i'm home, if I come back at an 'unusual' time she'll come out say hello and go back to sleep in her crate. She gets excited when I'm about to leave the house and runs to her crate because she knows she'll get a kong/chew, so her crate isn't a bad place for her and me going out for a couple of hours isn't a bad thing either :)

Bojingles

Visit site
Horses for courses - if you don't need one, don't use one. I've got one for my second JRT I got a year ago and without it she would have eaten my shoes and god knows what else. I rarely use it now as she's trustworthy in the house but she loves her crate. If I give her a treat or a new toy she takes it off to her crate and buries it and she also goes in there if she just fancies a bit of peace and quiet.

Kaylum

Visit site
Never crated mine as they have the run of the house and understand what they can and can't chew, but woman at work has terrible trouble with her labs. She has to crate them when they aren't around and so of course they go mental when they are let out destroy everything they cant walk around in the crate but she says they stay out of trouble. Well I guess in the year they have had them they have had 5 operations for blockages removing and the male cant have another due to scar tissue on the scar.

Clodagh

Visit site
Never crated mine as they have the run of the house and understand what they can and can't chew, but woman at work has terrible trouble with her labs. She has to crate them when they aren't around and so of course they go mental when they are let out destroy everything they cant walk around in the crate but she says they stay out of trouble. Well I guess in the year they have had them they have had 5 operations for blockages removing and the male cant have another due to scar tissue on the scar.

I admire anyone whao can train a dog what not to chew without them ever chewing it to find out! I think crates are great, mainly because it keeps pup and adults in safe time out zones.

Kaylum

Visit site
I admire anyone whao can train a dog what not to chew without them ever chewing it to find out! I think crates are great, mainly because it keeps pup and adults in safe time out zones.
What I meant was her labs are crated dont have enough room so no wonder they go crazy when they are let out. You choose you dog breed/size according to your lifestyle and facilities not just because they look cute as pups everyone knows they are high energy dogs and if you don't know that you have not researched the breed. Crating a high energy dog don't get the dog in the first place.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I don't think crating a high energy dog is the issue, I think it's what you do with the high energy dog when it's not in the crate that's important. I won't bore you with my dog's exercise or training regime, but he is a high energy dog and having down time is important.
He exercises outside, I don't let him exercise himself around the kitchen.
The labradors you know don't get the stimulation they need, crate or no crate, by the sounds of it.

Kaylum

Visit site
I don't think crating a high energy dog is the issue, I think it's what you do with the high energy dog when it's not in the crate that's important. I won't bore you with my dog's exercise or training regime, but he is a high energy dog and having down time is important.
He exercises outside, I don't let him exercise himself around the kitchen.
The labradors you know don't get the stimulation they need, crate or no crate, by the sounds of it.
Well labs need stimulation yes but crating them whenever they are not around is not the answer. Also they don't take them to training classes so you can image when they are let out they run riot.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I don't know what the answer is for these dogs apart from doing more with them and perhaps building a dog run so they are not stuck inside staring at the same four walls all day. I know that would drive me mad.

I was pointing out that crating large high energy dogs isn't a terrible thing. It's how most of them get to competitons and where a lot of them sleep at night.