Crazy remedies ...

holeymoley

Visit site
Just for a bit of fun . What bizarre remedies have you heard people swear by and what were they for ? Just got me thinking . Seen a post elsewhere about treating mudfever and everyone seems to have different advice. One of them being slathering mustard on to the horse's legs ?! 😳

Just curious ,'I'm sure there's loads out there . Hopefully I'll think of some more.

Equi

Visit site
Anyone who suggests Vaseline for sunburnt skin makes me cringe. Then they put them out in the sun with it on 😪

silv

Visit site
I was horrified to read on a FB page someone asking for advice about a coughing horse and were told to drench it with Kerosene.

Tumeric or coconut oil seems to be the fashionable cure for everything these days according to FB

fattylumpkin

www.thestoryofhorses.com
The coconut oil craze is driving me nuts. Seem to spend my life being told every day to eat it, rub it in my hair, swill it round my teeth, and if not then I should do the same for my horse.

Someone tried to cure their cribber by painting a thick layer of vicks vapo rub mixed with chilli on the stable door. Horse is still a cribber but now frightened of doors.

luckyoldme

Visit site
egg white.
its amazing for open sores!
I used it years ago for nappy rash when my son was poorly with gastro enteritis , then tried it on a horse i was looking after with a saddle sore, it forms like a skin on top of the open sore and allows it to heal.

skint1

Visit site
My YM says that if you feed a horse a cube of jelly each day it will do wonders for its hooves.

Durhamchance

Visit site
My YM says that if you feed a horse a cube of jelly each day it will do wonders for its hooves.

My gran bless her used to eat one every day for her nails, it must be along the same lines.

She also used to rub butter on a burn or head injury?! and swore that half a carrot in a mug of water would remove tea stains from inside the mug?

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Living in rural Ireland, I've heard some good ones...stuffing an onion up a horse's bum cures colic, apparently. Breaking a raw egg into a newborn foal's mouth the moment it is born will make it healthy and strong (what is wrong with people?). Wrapping bowed tendons with cabbage leaves and brown paper, etc., etc.

I go for science, myself.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Old Scottish Highland cures for epilepsy (in humans) include cutting a live chicken in half and placing it over the head of the patient; drinking the blood of a mole or a snake, preferably in a skull; drinking water out of a skull, preferably one that belonged to the patient's grandfather; treating powdered brains; or burying a chicken in the last place the patient had an epileptic fit.

poacher82

Visit site
I'm surprised we've got to page 2 without a mention of aloe vera...

I thought you could basically cure anything with aloe vera or turmeric? Oh and not forgetting toothpaste!

I read some 'advice' the other day that numerous human ailments could be cured by honey and cinnamon. Including cancer, cured by eating a teaspoon of each mixed together every day. What the...

holeymoley

Visit site
We had someone who got brainwashed by the FL aloe Vera range . She begged us to give her a chance to tell us what it was about so we decided we would and she could practise her talk on us . Well. She went on to say how it could help with cancer which did not go down well at all as one person was about to start chemo ��.

jumbyjack

Visit site
Mentioned a recent colic case to my sister, and she said did we give the horse warm beer and ginger! If forgotten about that one, did tell sister things have moved on a bit!

SEL

Visit site
Mentioned a recent colic case to my sister, and she said did we give the horse warm beer and ginger! If forgotten about that one, did tell sister things have moved on a bit!

My old yard owner was told about beer for colic and forever after everything that even hinted at a poorly tummy was dosed!

Orangehorse

Visit site
Cabbage leaves on a tendon injury is an old remedy and ginger is used for stomach ache in humans.

Our local horse dealer had a jar of "glue-its" that went on any cut or injury. I picked up a tub of Hilton Herbs ointment and passed it to my sister with the words "glue-its" as it smelt almost the same, so obviously some good things went into it (the spelling is just how it was pronounced)

rhylis

Visit site
I was once told to put marmite on my horses sarcoid, apparently had I tried it the sarcoid would have fallen off almost instantaneously

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Turemic does work on arthritis I know because I take it but I think people get carried away with things. I use an aloe vera shampoo which is great......................................sorry

LeneHorse

Visit site
Granulated sugar mixed with iodine to make a paste for thrushy frogs - recommended by my old farrier and worked a treat.

Greylegs

Visit site
I know someone who uses a paste made of athletes foot powder and calamine lotion for mud fever. Mixes into a thick paste and slaps it on. Strangely, it seems to work!