Cream for mud fevery/sore legs

timbobs

Visit site
Looking for some advice!

Horse in question has very sensitive skin on her legs. Has recently been treated with antibiotics and fucidin to clear up scabby/cracked pasterns/heels which has done a great job. We're finding that when ridden her legs crack/bleed slightly without some form of barrier cream even though the "mud fever" has cleared up, but she's very sensitive and reacts to the creams.

• Sudocreme sort of works, but is an absolute pain to put on/clean off as it gets everywhere!
  • Tried Equine America Fungatrol and this helped, but her skin is going very pink with it so think she is reacting to it.
  • Reacted to Heel to Hoof
  • Reacted to NAF Love the Skin He's in Cream
Any suggestions from anyone of what to put on to help the skin when ridden? I'm thinking trying Aqueous cream next!

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
A thought from some one who has had no experience of this but...
My dog has dry, cracking and flaky skin. We found the best thing was to treat from the inside out i.e. an oil based supplement.
It would take time but would a similar type of horse supplement be worth trying?

timbobs

Visit site
A thought from some one who has had no experience of this but...
My dog has dry, cracking and flaky skin. We found the best thing was to treat from the inside out i.e. an oil based supplement.
It would take time but would a similar type of horse supplement be worth trying?

Thanks for replying!

Should also have said that she's on linseed, oil, a dash of apple cider vinegar and a skin supplement :)

HeyMich

Visit site
There's a nice product from Mother Bee called Udder Relief (supposed to be used on cow's sore and cracked udders obviously!) and the lady in our local tack shop raves about it. I've got a tub but have never had to use it. All natural and honey based, so hopefully won't cause any adverse reactions.

timbobs

Visit site
There's a nice product from Mother Bee called Udder Relief (supposed to be used on cow's sore and cracked udders obviously!) and the lady in our local tack shop raves about it. I've got a tub but have never had to use it. All natural and honey based, so hopefully won't cause any adverse reactions.

Oooh that looks worth a go too- thanks!

Goldenstar

Visit site
Flamazine is a topical antibiotic is grest stuff but it should not be used for long term use because of the antibiotic resistance issue .
OP I would try udder cream .

Shay

Visit site
If it is just an absorbable emollient cream try either udder cream or E45. Cheap. effective.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
My experience is that removing alfalfa from the diet helped. I also made sure that the buttercups were dealt with. Sun cream needs to be applied before symptoms appear. Fly mask with nose net - helpful, leg wraps - would be good if he would wear them. If scabs appear, do not touch and put nothing on them as anything that the Vet or I tried made it worse. Sun cream can still be applied on the non scab areas.

Last edited:
Visit site
I have a mare with a pink nose and white legs who is very photosensitive. Even in winter when the UV is low. This maybe your horse's issue too.
A simple zinc0 oxide cream or a men's F50 sunblock works best. Men's is less perfumed and therefore acceptable to my mare!! Sudocrem ( which I see you have tried) is also good. Wear gloves because of mess! On white legs, don't clip, use cotton leg wraps ( we make ours) that cover all the white hair. Overreach boots if it is on heelbulbs. There is some evidence to show that different pastures can trigger photo sensitve reactions in horses. I can't let my guard down for a day otgerwise she gets scabs. We tried prednoderm and pure antiobioic ointment to no avail. .

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Yes, I'm going to try OR boots again on mine... you never know he might have forgotten how much he hated anything on his legs last summer. I'll try bribery too.

timbobs

Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions! Mare is an Appaloosa and is sensitive skinned.

The other Appaloosa at the yard is photosensitive and wears pastern wraps during the day so I’ll give this a go too.

timbobs

Visit site
Just thought I’d update on people’s suggestions.

So far we’ve tried pastern wraps during the day and they’re definitely making a difference! The skin is much less pink and no scabs!

I’m using aloe Vera when I ride and we haven’t had any cracking or soreness so fingers crossed the new routine is working!