Credit crunch and your 2009 plans

seche

Visit site
Fortunately my eventing career has been cut short because my horse doesn't "do" XC in cold blood so am reside now to hunting and BD. where I only really go to Bromyard,sometimes down to Hartpury etc... I am getting more riding in though as riding out for the Household Cavalry, though sadly wont be registering with BE next year... (will try my best to be as involved as possible though as will jump on the Thomas lorry most weekends to groom where I can.

humblepie

Visit site
Not decided on aims yet but I think the plan has to be do as much as possible. I personally think the financial climate will be worse in 2010 when the NI changes come in (think this is right though have given up listening to the news). Dread to think how much the Council Tax will go up next year - equivalent to at least 2 shows a month for one street light and a dustbin every other week!!

mle22

Visit site
Just having to pay out at the minute for affiliated dressage membership for two horses, eventing for one, plus renewal of FEI passport, plus horse needs a new jumping saddle and has just got a new dressage one as other horse's doesn't fit - aaargh! Then there's food, blacksmith, rugs, shavings, lessons etc That's before the entry fees, diesel, et al
It really is serious money these days to compete.

the watcher

Visit site
The credit crunch is having an effect in as much as shopping costs and domestic heating bills have gone through the roof, however I will be doing more this year as the foal is now born and will be ready for showing in the spring and the mare will also be back in work - so we will be out with a vengeance. Petrol prices coming down have helped in that respect though

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
It hasnt really affected me either as i dont have a house or family so my horse needs arbt going to change. Kia is on 24/7 turnout and being of a farm if I get stuck for bedding I can buy a bale of straw.

Yes feed costs have went up but not by as much when your only feeding one.

I have a certain amount iof job security and pension security so again not affected and my savings are at home anyway since NR went bust.

Geting baby hos next year stuck that back abit now but hey ho no rush Kia aint ging anywhere. Means I can save more owards kitting baby out or maybe spending a bit more on baby itself.

Nikki xxx
laugh.gif

star

Visit site
i probably wont change much. i'm aiming for one lesson, one hunt and 2 dressage comps a month for first part of season and tending to stay local to save on diesel. Over summer, will be looking to probably swap the hunting for showing and still do 2 dressages, plus as many clinics as we can get to. If i ever get him over his fear of show-jumps we'll go eventing.

Jumper123

Visit site
we will be cutting down in the sense that during the summer we will have 6 ponies jumping instead of attending all shows we will only be doing minimum appearances in leagues to save money. we will also be trying to stay within 20/30 miles of home + when travelling further carpool with other families etc etc.

Hope this helps!!

skirsty123

New User
Visit site
Well as a person who had a couple of liverys. I had one who moved her horse closer to home at save, A/ on time travelling B/ on fuel costs she has 4 kids so I cant blame her for that.
The other has lost her job and by the 1st of March will be owing me nearly £300.
Have just made her sign a contract for this year and she tells me that she's going to pay me half what she owes and when she gets her horse sold will pay the balance. Unfortunatly I think she's over priced her horse and wont get him sold.
What have anyother livery owners done to make sure they get their fee's paid.

CNM

Visit site
I also had a few livery's and they also have had to move. One moved closer to home so she could walk to do her horse and the other moved as his sister had been made redundant and she was going to look after the horse on DIY which i don't do. I also have one livery left who dumped her horse and went off to wales uni, i only found out when her friend came and told me and she owes me over a £1000 in livery fees which i doubt i'm ever going to see plus her horse is still with me and now i have another orphan! Some people are unbelievable.