Cribbed, Colic, Cushings

Taffieboy1

Visit site
So I have a 14.2 Welsh x TB
He has Cushings, takes 1 Prascend a day for this.
Have had him just over 2 years, he cribs like nothing have ever seen, one mouthful of hay,grass,chop, means followed by a single crib.
Have also recently about 10 days ago put him on EGUS meds, Omeprazole.
Now in the last month, have had the Vet out twice to very severe Colic.
Am very unsure on what to do, Vet says get his collar back on all the time, only off when ridden, put half a drain pipe over anything he can get his teeth onto to crib, keep my top door of stable closed so can't crib on that, it's American barn stabling, with metal top doors/bars.
Anyone have any suggestions, what to do, how to manage this ?
Really don't know what to do next for the best.
Any information is appreciated, the site says for a horse up to 500kg give 2 sachets of Omeprazole a day, yet it has had no effect at all, as yet.

claribella

Visit site
Could you look at finding somewhere where he could live out 24/7? There are a lot of people on the turmeric users group on facebook that are having amazing success with cribbers. I use turmeric but for joint issues but it healed my mares sarcoid and runny eye in the process. It might be worth a try.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i also have a horse that previously cribbed alot.....i tried feeding settlex and it seemed to help , however since being diagnosed with cushings she virtually stopped once we got the prascend dose correct. i always know if her levels are rising because apart from being a bit grumpy(not like her) she starts cribbing quite a bit again, then once the increase of prascend has kicked in she hardly ever cribs. may be worth getting your horse tested again as an increase in prascend MAY help. also as much turn out as possible will help..

Micky

Visit site
I would talk to your vet again re the meds for cribbing, they might be interfering with the prascend.
Also a good idea to get his bloods tested again to check ACTH levels and make sure the dosage is correct for Prascend as it can vary from season to season, may need a half tablet more or 1 tablet more than hes on now.
Research done regarding turmeric shows no evidence of it working i'm afraid.