Cribbing and windsucking... what price drop would you expect?

kerilli

Visit site
Just wondered what other people thought about this. i'm very happy with my new mare, but have discovered that she very occasionally cribs and looks as if she wants to wind-suck, but hasn't quite got the hang of it (yet). the seller told me she had no vices at all. if i'd known before, what price drop do you think i might have reasonably asked for?
it's not a problem at the moment as she's not near my youngsters, who i have a nasty feeling will watch and learn if i'm not very careful in future...
the mare is out all day every day, she does it while waiting to be put out after her breakfast, a whole 5 minutes' wait, how dare i be so tardy!
flippin horses. *sighs*

seabiscuit

Visit site
I think that what a horse does in their own time is entirely up to them, it does bother me, but in my experience it doesnt affect their performance.
I think that actual windsucking should have about £1000k dropped off the price, not all that much.

If she is just chewing wood, she may just has a vitamin/mineral deficiency, I had a horse that did that from time to time also licked his door and bit his door/sides of the door, ( a bit like cribbing I suppose) but only when he hadnt been getting his vit/mins.

Tufty

Visit site
If its a problem to you phone them up and tell them see what they say. I personally would offer no discount for wind sucking but then I would not try and deny the fact a horse had this habit.

I have never known any horse copy wind sucking they either do it or they dont

Stoxx

Visit site
I think that it would depend on the price, as I'd expect to see a reduction in terms of percentage, as taking say £1k off the asking price of a horse that is up for £4k is a much bigger reduction than if the horse was up for £15k

Cobland

Visit site
If it bothers you then stick a crib biting collar on, my mare windsucks when stabled, so i put the collar on her when in, she doesnt seem to have done it in a while but not going to take the chance.

Hasnt affected her performance but then im not ever selling her! If it gets to the stage i cant afford her then i will sell things lol.

My hubbies ex horse would crib bite, we got stuff from local feed merchant, it was a crib biting spray and it worked, accidentally tasted the stuff myself and it made me sick!

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
My mums horse windsucks/cribs a lot, and nothing has ever copied her, and my young horse cribs/windsucks and weaves a bit
crazy.gif
. But it really doesnt have any dramatic impact on his performance so I am not bothered. I would say depending on the price of the horse £1000 is a substantial drop!