Cribbing collars??

ruby246

New User
Visit site
My 4yo wind sucks in her field literally non stop, she’s out 24/7 with other horses and on a high fibre feed with hayledge and ridden regularly but she cribs so much. literally everyday i go down to catch her shes cribbing.. would you recommend a cribbing collar? is it safe to keep her out in the field with one? will it stress her out to put one on?

Squeak

Visit site
No.
Can you do a run of electric fencing to keep her away from what she cribs on?

You could also give her a post that's easy to crib on and specifically for that so that she can use that rather than fencing. I'd echo what the others have said though about speaking to a vet and investigating for Ulcers.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
Please don't use a collar. They are horrible things. I've got a cribber. He is 25 now. Electric fence along the top of normal fence as suggested above works. I also put a post in the field especially for him to use. I cut salt out of his diet and that helped massively.

leflynn

Visit site
I tried one once on my boy, worst thing I did, lasted 2 days, he started box walking and chewing wood so I feed as if ulcers and don't keep him out 24/7 (he hates it)

Equi

Visit site
My first port of call would be to get the vet out to see if there is anything medically going on as it can be a reaction to pain or stress, but unfortunately it’s a horrible habit that many just can’t break. They will always find something to suck on and if they can’t do it on a soft bit of wood/fence they will find something else like the water trough, someone else’s ear, their own body etc.. many people find setting up a specific post for them helps limit the damage to both fences and their teeth. But is she properly wind sucking or just chewing?