Critique my showing outfit for BTO?

Ahrena

Visit site
Am doing a best turned out class on Monday at a show where I am gonna assume entries will be huge - always are.

Sooo I know how to get her spotless and as white as possible, how to get my tack sparkling ect..but what about our actual outfit?

Here are a couple of pics, not amazing though. Couple of things first, she's not in best turned out turnout here, its after our first class and I don't think we did it on any of these days so shes never as perfectly clean as I hope her to be on Monday.

Also, she's now in a pelham so will have double reins and the pelham on monday.

For the rest, rip it to shreds :p Any help much appreciated
DSC_0746.jpg

DSC_0773.jpg

DSC_0835.jpg

Thanks
grin.gif

trendybraincell

Visit site
black long boots would look better, or at least chaps that match the colour of your boots.

a cream shirt looks nice, also are you wearing a tie, can't see in pics.

A darker hacking jacket would compliment the horse better.

Flesh coloured harness on your hat.

Quarter marks on horse

pulled tail is more correct

also is your double bridle brown?

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
A few easy things to make you look smarter without spending much money (as the tips above are correct, but going to cost you quite a few pennies).
Your hat is tipping back - try to get the peak slightly further towards your nose.
Put your hair into a bun rather than a pony tail and use some form of clip/band that matches your hair so you can't see it.
Trim the tail of the horse a few inches
Don't put the stirrup leather through the loop on the saddle - it is not meant for leathers.
BTO is always a tricky one - it really depends on what the judge is looking for - make sure you have girth tabs on the saddle etc and that the underneath of your boots are clean.

jules08

Visit site
dont worry too much about pulling tail if u dont want to and your plaiting is good, quick list i would check is, JACKET, darker if poss, buttonhole(4 turnout not showing), use jacket coloured elasitic or cotton 4 yr number and trim number up to an oval, hair net, hat over brow, cane, not whip if poss, long boots if u have them, gloves are a must,no numnah plain girth white leather or black on your horse white would be best.
yhe little things are where you get the marks ie; thread not bands, clean hooves also yr own they always check where your heel and sole meet on your boots, keepers on buckle gaurds, lip strap and curbchain fitting tidy and lastly the smile, good luck,
smile.gif

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
If you are wearing hacking jacket wear plan bridle, if wearing show jacket use the velvet/coloured browband with that. Its kind of strictly in keeping with Hacking Turnout/M&M = plain bridle, Showing Turnout = pretty browband!!

And smile!!

Ahrena

Visit site
She's a riding horse so needs a hacking jacket? That's what I've always been taught, and never see navy show jackets in my riding hrose classes, always tweed jackets with velvet?

Anyway.

Thanks people, am hoping to buy a new hat and leather boots tomorrow (my gcse results presents yay :p)

I do have a white girth, but I swear it makes her look dirty, would that be best or her brown one?

Thanks everyone
smile.gif
My shirt is actually cream (did the old dishcloth trick
wink.gif
and I think its faded a bit so gonna do that again before monday)

I will get a new jacket 1 day as this one is so thick but unlikely before Monday..However if I did, and decide to dig into my savings, do I want a darker brown or a greenie one?

Oh also, I do have a button hole, got a matching 1 for my browband but I got told only kids wear them?

Thanks everyone =D Sorry for all the questions.

Haniki

Visit site
Your horse is very nice! One thing I would add, to what everyone else has said is, if you get a new jacket get a slightly longer one as I think that would be more flattering. Good luck on Monday and enjoy yourself!

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
she is doing best turned out!! It can be either turnout, hacking or show jacket, they tend to go for show jacket turnout, double bridle pretty browband, etc etc, trust me I ended up doing purely BTO for over a year when my back was injured!! (at locals).

Ahrena

Visit site
Ah okay lol, I thought you were meant to do it according to type?

I dunno, I think I'll just stick with my tweed as my only other one is my SJ jacket which has gold piping and gold buttons..

Thanks ever so much guys
laugh.gif
I'll remember a piccy

Colleen_Miss_Tom

Somewhere in Ireland up north to the west abit , t
Visit site
Stick with this jacket in the meantime until you get a new one , Your asking about getting a darker brown jacket or a green one ?

Go with a green one, its more popular . Also if your double bridle is too bulky I would just stick with an ordinary snaffle bridle .

Go with a brown girth or leather one
wink.gif

Good luck for the show xx Piccies as well
wink.gif

Sneezy

Visit site
Ahrena - You're right, you need to turn out according to type. I'd say she's more of a RH type so tweed with a velvet browband. I prefer dark green tweed, mines a dark green caldene one with a half navy velvet collar. Hacks wear navy jackets with velvet browbands and are "flashier" and lighter boned.

Navy velevet hat with a flesh coloured harness would also look better,you can get these fairly cheap these days from Charles Owen i think? Black leather boots would also look better, although can be expensive! Spurs are also correct for adults, although if you dont need them you can get dummy spurs.

You cant see on the piccies, but the darker girth would break her up a bit so wouldnt be a good idea on a long backed horse (cant see side on view), whereas the white one would be better if she was slighty long backed. Tack should be brown with a discreet brown numnah, double reins look good...but no roundings (pet hate of mine!)!!

Quarter markings on the horse, i usually go for a checker board on top with sharks teeth underneath as these can help to disguise a long back.

Most of all, just make sure everythings spotlessly clean and tidy, hair in a hair net, and remember to smile!
laugh.gif

Ahrena

Visit site
Thanks for all these tips.

Went out and bought a showing hat with flesh coloured harness today, plus new tie, plaited reins so I now have 1 leather reins and 1 plaited which is neater than 1 leather and 1 rubber I think...

Couldn't find any leather boots but have ordered a pair for next time.

But..Pony has pulled off its shoe
frown.gif
And farrier is in Ireland so can't come fix her (he's awfully good for coming at short notice) Soo nvm, can't go on Monday but will be all set for next time out.

Didn't realise that about spurs, I might school her in some with her pelham in at 1 point before the next showing outing, as she's not very forward off the leg, she isn't lazy but she knows she has a lot in her mouth [usually ridden in a headcollar or a snaffle, lovely soft mouth] so slight extra encouragement might help.

Last thing - can you actually do quarter marks on a grey then?

Thanks everyone anyway
laugh.gif
laugh.gif