Crooked horse! vid

cob&onion

Visit site
I am having one sided issues with my cob, i have had a pro ride her and say shes one of the most crookeded horses she has ever ridden. She's right, my cob is so stiff on the right rein, she will hang on the left hand in a snaffle - i ride her in a hanging cheek myler and shes much better no leaning.
Vet end of summer, no obvious lameness on lunge, no pain when checked over, mouth checked etc all seemed fine.
Teeth where done a few weeks back and dentist couldn't identify any problems other than a few sharp edges.
Saddle was fitted by a good saddler end of summer, she has 2 saddles and goes the same in both.
She seems sound to me?
She can carrot stretch both ways very well with ease.
When contact is applied to right rein, ie when asking for leg yield she gets upset and throws her head up. She isnt keen on me asking her to bend right. On the lunge (right rein) the counter flexs to the left slightly and also finds it more difficult to go into canter on the right rein. Left rein is sweet, canter straight away on the lunge. She is willing and forward.
My friend who is an experienced rider had a quick go today and said she felt really awkward to ride, and very stiff an one sided.
I am having her thermally scanned on Monday - apparently its meant to show up any potential areas with alot of heat in them. Will be interesting to see what it produces and maybe interesting to show the physio and vet?
Also the physio is booked for next 2 weeks on recommendation from the vet.
Am thinking mouth problems.
If the physio can't pick anything up then am going to ask the vet to maybe x ray her whole head see if anything dental is going on.
Am really frustrated as desperately want to get her out competing but can't/won't push her without knowing whats going on.
The saddler is also due out again end of the month with hopes for a new saddle but i just don't know now, today she was particularly one sided :(
She's rising 6.
She's fine when out hacking/jumping etc its just schooling it really shows up!
Any similar experiences please?
Also i have posted this video before on here but would like an opinion - you can see her bending to the right and theres a bit of canter too. I know am leaning back, and my reins are very long (am working on theses)! etc so just opinion on cob please see if anyone can pick anything up? this was a few weeks back. Little shaky at first but there is some still parts!
She doesn't seem too bad on the video but believe me i seem to hide it well but she is quite difficult to ride!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGpwVsvz0cM

Last edited:

charliecrisps

Visit site
Had a cob who used to do exactly that! Turned out it was my wonky riding ... hip injury meant I rode rather wonky, although it wasn't actually that noticeable I was emphasizing too much on one side and throwing my weight to that side too, so he had muscle pain in his back so he couldn't flex properly. I felt rather guilty :-(
Recommend Physio definitely for your girl; a good one can tell you so much

cob&onion

Visit site
Had a cob who used to do exactly that! Turned out it was my wonky riding ... hip injury meant I rode rather wonky, although it wasn't actually that noticeable I was emphasizing too much on one side and throwing my weight to that side too, so he had muscle pain in his back so he couldn't flex properly. I felt rather guilty :-(
Recommend Physio definitely for your girl; a good one can tell you so much

Well this is what i initially thought, but i have had alot of lessons with different instructors and ride other horses none with the same problems. Also got my friend to walk behind me to see if i was sitting straight and not leaning to one side.
Cob does it with anyone who schools her so i kinds ruled myself out of it. :(

JFTDWS

Visit site
Do you ride the other horses as much as your own? You do look to be sitting rather squint in the video.

Skipadeedooda

Visit site
It's quite difficult as video person is a bit shaky and watching on my phone :). My horse had back problems and rode really crooked. I got a good instructor who focused on the horses way of going which resulted in me having to ride crooked (actually straight) to help straighten him up. It felt so un-natural initially so you do need someone in the ground. If your horse is crooked and you look to be balanced and straight from behind then you to are crooked so not helping each other. If horse has been going like this for a while then he will ride like that for any rider until he's taught to move differently. A good instructor and maybe a nice massage to relax his muscles etc may be a good idea. Just another chain of thought to consider. Good luck

cob&onion

Visit site
Do you ride the other horses as much as your own? You do look to be sitting rather squint in the video.

It's quite difficult as video person is a bit shaky and watching on my phone :). My horse had back problems and rode really crooked. I got a good instructor who focused on the horses way of going which resulted in me having to ride crooked (actually straight) to help straighten him up. It felt so un-natural initially so you do need someone in the ground. If your horse is crooked and you look to be balanced and straight from behind then you to are crooked so not helping each other. If horse has been going like this for a while then he will ride like that for any rider until he's taught to move differently. A good instructor and maybe a nice massage to relax his muscles etc may be a good idea. Just another chain of thought to consider. Good luck

Ah yes see where your coming from. Just a bit taken aback that people think I look crooked but as you say maybe am straight but just riding a crookd horse or we are both one sided?!
Sometomes ride my friends cob and tb and they always go lovely for me, yet cob wont go as well for others so perhaps I have adapted to her? But ahe does feel awkward and stiff to me too...........
Chicken or egg?!
Perhaps a lesson on another horse with an instructer may help rule it out or show it up?

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
It takes 2 to pull, to me it looks as if you anchor her with your left hand, take a look at the last few steps on the video you are asking for halt almost totally with the left rein, she bends that way so takes time to stop. Having such long reins is not helping as you then take your elbows out to try and maintain the contact, this gives her the opportunity to evade and turn the way she prefers, it is chicken and egg but it is down to the rider to change first, assuming nothing shows to be causing the issue.

What is she really like out hacking? If she you tend to hold her to the left most of the time, which many do as the rider holds them to the side of the road try lots of leg yielding to move her away rather than holding her to the left think bend right, push left and be firm about it, every horse should be capable of moving laterally and in this case it would be where I would really work on it, I also would not be working her in canter until she can walk and trot remaining straight and preferably able to flex whichever way I asked, the faster you go and the more you do the more established the bad habits become.

charliecrisps

Visit site
Have you had her long? has she always had this issue since you got her? It certainly may be nothing you're doing wrt riding. Could be her with stiffness or just not been worked evenly or correctly previously before you got her...

Tiarella

www.myspace.com
You look pretty wonky and horse looks like it's very much compensating for your wonkiness. Get yourself sorted before the horse. An osteo/physio will def help and make sure you do the exercises they give you too. Other tips - when you first get on do the first 15 min of walk warm up with no stirrups really swinging your legs long. Make sure you can feel both seat bones. Use your body and hips to steer the horse and focus on small/big circles. It's not that you're not sitting straight from behind, it's noticeable you're twisting when you rise so you'll be sitting at a twist even if you don't notice.

I'm in exact same position as you and currently only hack till I get myself sorted!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
You definitely collapse to the left through your hips. You also grip up with your legs. Not saying the horse doesn't have a stiffness issue, but it wont be helped by your own crookedness. The saddle also looks badly positioned.

I agree about physio for you - but also for the horse as well.

I'd also look at doing more suppling work for the horse without a rider on board.

robthecob

Visit site
I might have this wrong but did you post with the same issues and / or lameness issues? It only sticks out in my mind as I had similar issues but it could of been someone else.

If this has been going on for a while and happens with other riders I would probably push for further investigations.. My horse can look sound until asked to engage where her multiple issues show.. That said she struggles way more than your mare so I wouldn't like to guess what the issue is.. Is she hard work off the leg too? Is there any behaviour changes (for me thats how I know it's pain rather than mechanical)

JANANI

Visit site
What a lovely cob and I agree with you regarding the reins :). I had the same problem.

I assume she has had the usual checks physic teeth etc. From watching the video all i could see was a typical young horse which is not overally supple which is understandable given her type. If it was me I would get a private lesson with a really good dressage instructor. She is falling in on her right shoulder and the instructor will be able to advise you on exercises for you both on getting her more supple.

JANANI

Visit site
Tried to edit my reply there but it wouldn't let me. I would also add that horses will always have a stronger rein and will find one easier than the other. I have on horse which is better on the right rein and an other which is better on the left. She may object to the leg yield because she finds it difficult, doesn't understand what you are asking from her, or there is a physical issue. Are you able to leg yield to the right out hacking? After physical checks are done a good dressage instructor is your next port of call.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Would you feel safe to try your cob without a saddle? If you are wonky the saddle can rollover to one side and dig in, even if it fits. If you thought it were safe, and with a neckstrap just in case, why not give it a go and see how your cob feels?
I would also have a session with a friend, and tape with electrical tape up the centre of your spine and one from side to side shoulder height. The I would have your friend video from behind, for example up a set line of poles up the centre line while changing rein side to side. The video will show where you are sitting, both with and without the saddle. In fact when I did this I also taped the centre of the saddle and the centre of the horse so we could see what was going on.
Another diagnostic tool would be (just for the session before anyone jumps on me) to put a cheeked bit in that is a bit big, so your assistant can see when the bit is central and when you are pulling it through the mouth. The purpose of this is twofold, to see if you even know when you are pulling on one rein. I know that sounds silly, but when you have a habit like this "normal" can be way off centre. Then ride with the emphasis being on how even the cob is in your hand, rather than the actual bend. I agree with a previous poster that if the horse has habitually learned to lean on one rein working in hand from the ground can help redress the balance.

I also agree with shortening the reins!

Good luck with all your tests. I guess if nothing else it will put your mind at rest that it is just a schooling issue, so you can be super detective with where you can change.

siennamum

Visit site
A quick look at your video so just my thoughts, but you look very strong in your left hand. We are all a bit one sided to a degree and sometimes quick to assume the problem is the horse when it is usually the rider.
You need to get a decent instructor who will sort your position and stop you hanging on that rein. It's hard and a continual battle to stop slipping into bad habits but you will see a real difference & your horse will thank you.

WelshD

Visit site
I guess your horse (who is lovely btw) is used to your riding so automatically is the same for the next rider

In the same way that other horses that you ride are the same for you as they are for their normal rider

Short term (unless the riding is terrible) they will behave as they normally do unless the rider is actively trying to school them

is there anyone that could ride your horse for a few sessions to see if that makes a difference?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Just watched the video again. Such a smashing little horse.

I'm sure that once you've got a good instructor on board who can help you with your position and softness the issues your having will improve enormously.

cob&onion

Visit site
I have linked another video of some no stirrup work at the end of this post, may shed a bit more light? it is no stirrup work - i know hands forward, reins shorter and i do tend to over use my seat!

It takes 2 to pull, to me it looks as if you anchor her with your left hand, take a look at the last few steps on the video you are asking for halt almost totally with the left rein, she bends that way so takes time to stop. Having such long reins is not helping as you then take your elbows out to try and maintain the contact, this gives her the opportunity to evade and turn the way she prefers, it is chicken and egg but it is down to the rider to change first, assuming nothing shows to be causing the issue.

What is she really like out hacking? If she you tend to hold her to the left most of the time, which many do as the rider holds them to the side of the road try lots of leg yielding to move her away rather than holding her to the left think bend right, push left and be firm about it, every horse should be capable of moving laterally and in this case it would be where I would really work on it, I also would not be working her in canter until she can walk and trot remaining straight and preferably able to flex whichever way I asked, the faster you go and the more you do the more established the bad habits become.

It looks like am stronger with my left hand as she is leaning and holding that rein so much - i am compensating for her lack of suppleness - f i drop the rein she just turns her head the other way?! so yes i know i am *holding her up*
As for leg yielding, she will go to the left but finds it difficult the other way.
I thought it was my riding, had a pro GP rider on her now around 6 x and the pro says she is very crooked, she has seen me ride her, insists it isnt my riding, she thinks its mouth related or something physical going on.

Have you had her long? has she always had this issue since you got her? It certainly may be nothing you're doing wrt riding. Could be her with stiffness or just not been worked evenly or correctly previously before you got her...

Had her since 11 months old. Backed her with help. She started showing the issues after a few months, i remember doing a test with her and she had a complete left neck bend the whole test. It sort of ecalated from there into the heaviness/one sidedness.
Previous to this/same time i had a TB for 3 years who i rode everyday as a 3.5 yr old. She was never wonky. Also rode friends TB alot and she went lovely for me too.

What a lovely cob and I agree with you regarding the reins :). I had the same problem.

I assume she has had the usual checks physic teeth etc. From watching the video all i could see was a typical young horse which is not overally supple which is understandable given her type. If it was me I would get a private lesson with a really good dressage instructor. She is falling in on her right shoulder and the instructor will be able to advise you on exercises for you both on getting her more supple.

As above she has been ridden by a pro GP rider who also thinks it is physical.

Tried to edit my reply there but it wouldn't let me. I would also add that horses will always have a stronger rein and will find one easier than the other. I have on horse which is better on the right rein and an other which is better on the left. She may object to the leg yield because she finds it difficult, doesn't understand what you are asking from her, or there is a physical issue. Are you able to leg yield to the right out hacking? After physical checks are done a good dressage instructor is your next port of call.

As above regarding GP rider.

A quick look at your video so just my thoughts, but you look very strong in your left hand. We are all a bit one sided to a degree and sometimes quick to assume the problem is the horse when it is usually the rider.
You need to get a decent instructor who will sort your position and stop you hanging on that rein. It's hard and a continual battle to stop slipping into bad habits but you will see a real difference & your horse will thank you.

AS above regarding the GP rider, also had quite a few others on board, all same results

You are wonky, also got the impression that if you let go of your left rein, the horse would fall over ...

Regarding the left rein bit - yes thats how she feels

So n a nut shell, GP rider has tried working with us, says she is very crooked and has tried schooling her through it, however not wanting to push her through it as thinks it maybe physical.
Just to add - when you apply right rein she opens her mouth and twists her head to the side - when lunged on right rein she flexes to the left? - if it was me being wonky why would she counter flex on the lunge without a rider?
I am fairly confident i am straight and it looks as though i am wonky as compensating for her heaviness and almost inability to turn rght without it looking very awkward.
I am willing though to have a lesson on another horse to see if they can pick anything up on me being wonky, i understand the video is a bit shakey etc and my reins are long causing me to draw back but i am working on these habits!
I have another video without stirrups the same day - not sure if it will show anymore?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwQKIm6FrXY

Thank you everyone for your input and taking the time out to reply, much appreciated

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
In this video she is intermittently lame behind, mainly on the tighter turns to the right, whether due to her stiffness or the cause of it is hard to guess but I would be having a lameness workup done, the TI may show some hotspots which will help with diagnostics.

cob&onion

Visit site
In this video she is intermittently lame behind, mainly on the tighter turns to the right, whether due to her stiffness or the cause of it is hard to guess but I would be having a lameness workup done, the TI may show some hotspots which will help with diagnostics.

Interesting, please can you tell me the time slots in the clip where she looks lame?
Am rubbish at spotting lameness unless its obvious
Thanks

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Gosh, I don't know how people could see from the jumpy video that you are wonky. I am pretty eagle eyed and spot wonkiness very easily but the video is not still or clear enough for me to make that judgement. There are hardly any bits showing you from directly in front or behind. But most of it shows that you do grip up with your right leg (can't see the left!). And I agree you have more contact in your left rein, but as you say, that is petty inevitable if she is leaning on it.

Last edited:

charliecrisps

Visit site
I think definately Physio to look at her back. Mine had muscle stiffness down right side meaning couldn't flex to the left. Even on the lunge this was so with mine, esp in canter they look like they're going to fall over. I don't know if yours is the same but mine used to lean quite a lot one way due to the stiffness whilst head goes the other way and you feel if you don't pull the other they won't stay on the edge of the school and won't be balanced. My instructer used to say side reins with one shortened to encourage flexing the way he evaded. I didn't go for that though and got rid of her! Lol. Plenty of work to help flex after treatment as can then also be a learned habit. There are exercised/ bends on ground with carrot to get them flexing/ bending/ supple. So I suspect phsyio to look is a good option here.

cob&onion

Visit site
Gosh, I don't know how people could see from the jumpy video that you are wonky. I am pretty eagle eyed and spot wonkiness very easily but the video is not still or clear enough for me to make that judgement. There are hardly any bits showing you from directly in front or behind. But most of it shows that you do grip up with your right leg (can't see the left!). And I agree you have more contact in your left rein.

I am quite certain i am not wonky wagtail, am trusting peoples opinions who have seen me ride this horse and other horses in person.
Yep, i do tend to grip up especially with no stirrups.
I think cob has something going on whether its hind leg issues or mouth issues?
She carrot stretches really well right round both sides equally on the ground, i can bend, push and move her over quite easily on the ground without resistance in a headcollar. Its when i apply pressure/contact on the right rein that i meet resistance with. She will put her head up to one side and open her mouth like there is discomfort there, as i said leg yielding over one side is awful and very awkward, the other side it much better.
On the lunge she counter flexes to the left on the right rein, she leans on the left rein - as if she doesnt want any contact on her right side of her mouth atall. Yet the dentist has had a really good look and wolf teeth where successfully removed as one peace. Different bits effect her too, snaffle is awful, really strong leaning, myler and pelham good but these are masking the real problem.
Ruled out schooling issues too as ridden by a GP rider, and a few experienced people all say something not right.
So its gotta be either lameness or dental??
Dental seems to be all fine though, but i guess without x rays you don't really know whats going on.
Just to add too, she gets a very very frothy mouth whilst being ridden as if she finds it difficult to swallow? she does this in every mouth piece, maybe nothing but thought i would mention? also has a tendancy to get her tongue over the bit despite it being in the correct place.

Last edited: