Cross country troubles... :(

ChestnutMonty

Visit site
I have a lovely 7yo dutch sports horse who has been very sharp until the past year. I now have him settled and rideable. He always jumps well SJ (he was brought from a SJ dealer so this is his ‘comfort’ phase) and his dressage is fair. Across country he used to be very sharp and run out violently (last year this caused me to break my ankle at Larkhill). I have now (fingers crossed) resolved this, he is much happier in his work, doesnt buck any more, his tension near disappeared and he is now nice and forward going - but he is still stopping accross country..

He jumps all water/ditches/tekhanas/banks/conbinations beautifully but strangely he stops at; the first fence (twice now) or chairs/tables (always solid and freshly painted/shiny fences particularly if the sun is shining on it!). He will approach normally as if he is going but then stop 2 strides out (slapping the anchors down behind), I can then get him to walk towards it, look at it, walk along the length of the jump reapproach and then he will fly over.

Sometimes he stops far enough infront that (if you could get him to move!) you could potentially get 1 or 2 strides of canter and jump from there..?

I'm an okay rider - I had my last horse from 5yo up to Novice, and i have regular lessons with accredited trainer, (who sadly having a crashing fall off a clients horse last year wont take risks on clients horses anymore) hence why i'm not asking him to ride! But maybe he needs a stronger rider to get him going? Would anyone be interested? What you can expect to pay for a rider per event?

So frustrating as hes such a lovely horse now and hes seems very happy in his work.
He has osteopath/teeth/saddle/etc regularly so it's not pain/discomfort issue.

Oh and he never stops at home and very rarely at xc schooling...

Help, ideas, recommendations greatly appreciated :)

ihatework

Visit site
This type of horse is tricky.

I've seen a few like this, usually warmblood types. Without wanting to generalise (but I'm afriad I'm going to) they generally take a lot of work, to keep building their confidence and getting them more reliable. They do improve, and you get good days, then every now and again they let you down again. The type I'm thinking of just aren't natural XC horses. Yours may or may not fit into that catagory.

I suppose there are a few options available to you - keep plugging away and accept the bad days with the good. Certainly getting another rider on board may well help and is a good idea. Try and find a female jockey who will also teach, so that they can help you ride alongside them riding.

I'd set yourself a realistic time limit though in which to reassess - then you may need to make the crunch decision of switch disciplines or sell. That kind of depends on what you want out of riding though and is a personal decision.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
What happens if you approach slower - out of trot?
What would happen if he gets an absolute hiding for doing this?
What would happen if you went HC and went xc with two schooling whips?
What happens if you wear bigger spurs?

Rebels

Visit site
Have you tried pair schooling round a venue? Take reliable friend and walk course as per usual then stick him behind and jump the whole course, don't school it. See if that gets his blood up more and makes him bolder.

ihatework

Visit site
Have you tried pair schooling round a venue? Take reliable friend and walk course as per usual then stick him behind and jump the whole course, don't school it. See if that gets his blood up more and makes him bolder.

On a similar vein, a friend of mine (with a very similar sounding horse) would team chase over the winter

RCP Equestrian

Visit site
Agree with ihatework, dont think xc is a WB's strong point

I have a WB gelding and he used to do exactly what yours does, he would spot something scary out the corner of his eye and spin, or a spooky filler and stop 2-3 strides away :mad: so I feel your frustration!

I think the only thing with them is time and perseverance, they are late maturers in the mind and in growth and take a lot of time to produce, but they have so much talent they need more than a half decent rider to channel it.

Mine has just started to click in to place from this year, I've had him since a 5 yr old and produced him up to Newcomers/Fox but feel he still needs a bit more time before jumping Fox and beyond consistantly and has been anything but easy.

The thing that is most frustrating is how talented they are, but how silly they can be at times, like mine can pop 1.50 for fun yet the timing equipment is deadly :D I think just getting him out as much as you can is the best thing, and mine really did benefit from my OH riding him when he went through his "teenage" strops, so I would definitely keep your options open for a stronger rider just to help you a bit. Love my boy and wouldnt change him for the world!

Good luck with him, I really hope it works out, main thing is not to give up :)

ChestnutMonty

Visit site
Thanks for your reply :)

He's Westphalian x TB.

Why do you say female rather than male? Just for more consistency for the horse?
(I'm 5'8 and weigh 11 +1/2 stone) so i'm not dainty by any means ;) lol

Yes, i'm not sure if i would be too bored just showjumping... lol
I'm *hoping* that he will come good, considering how far he has come already... So will probably just keep plugging away, just trying to find other medthods/ideas that might press the right button!?

snooples

Visit site
Stopping at the first jump could be a confidence issue, my horse used to do the same thing but in showjumping. Once he was over the first one or two he would be perfect over the rest of the course. This happened at our first couple of shows but gradually he understood what was going on and now hes fine.
He might be a bit nervous leaving the other horses or it could be your not riding strong enough as you have it kind of inbuilt that he is going to stop.

You just really need to ride as confidently as you can, lots of leg if needs be maybe a tap of the whip on the shoulder as a reminder to wake up and its time to go and lots of big pats when he jumps it.

becca1305

Visit site
Just had a brief read, some good suggestions/ questions already, so just to say my friends WB was unreliable xc he didn't used to slam the anchors on so much but if he took a dislike to something he would grind to a halt amd refuse to go forwards regardless how much she tried. He did the same thing sometimes showjumping. Xc schooling he often needed a lead to get him over things. She took him hunting and he loved it, they have now done 2 seasons hunting once a week and his boldness/ impulsion in showjumping has improved during that time. She decided to start eventing him this season and so far he has been fab! One stop first xc schooling when she let her leg slip back and let him drop behind her leg, but has now jumped round 2 events clear xc. Perhaps hunting is worth a shot with your lad? Or alternatively pairs/ team chasing - things to get his blood up and that he will hopefully really enjoy :).

BeckyD

Visit site
Oh dear welcome to my little club. I am very familiar with the "stopping at the first and smallest fence" syndrome, as well as the "stop at the freshly-painted/freshly-creosoted fence" syndrome. Practice and practice and practice all under good instruction is the only way I have managed to tackle it.

And even so, we went back to square one on Saturday but then my horse was feeling a bit under the weather.

Good luck. I know only too well how frustrating it is. Contemplating just SJ'ing mine as he's pretty capable in that area, once I ride properly, but like you I think I'll find it a little boring.

tricksibell85

Visit site
Been there....got the t-shirt

It depends on how much you want to persist with him or not. I kept mine - and i am glad i did, he now jumps DC at intermediate BE.

I do a load, and i mean a load of XC schooling with him, and continue to do it before we start our season, and then if he has more than 2 weeks between an event.

I really struggled with him, he would stop miles away from a fence because it was spooky or would nap half way round a course. He was a complete pest - some days he was great, others he was a *****. If i am honest our second season out was soul destroying and i gave up eventing him - but i started up again and everything is now better, i dont know if its because i am more determined, but he has made me a better rider because of it, so in some ways i should be grateful!

I changed everything though, not just more XC schooling - jump saddle changed, feeding changed, farrier changed, field managment changed, what his ridden routine was like. I had to look at the bigger picture with him, and i have to make sure he is happy and content. Its bl00dy hardwork - and i got a harsh reminder on how much of a pain he can be when schooling round a BE100 course on sunday, where he wouldnt go near a small log - i had 4gotten how cr@p it makes you feel! haha, he does have a sense of humour!!

It was a confidence issue with him and he still has his moments. He is similar on the flat when he is being taught something new he downs tools.

I didnt get anyone else to ride him, and i am the only person thats taken him XC - but i have gotten very good advice from people i trust.

Its very difficult having a horse like this, i do feel your pain.

TarrSteps

Visit site
Just as a point of order, it isn't a 'wb thing' - there are warmbloods bred to event/from families that have shown an ability xc in testing etc. (I will say very few of them are KWPN stock as, unlike some books, they have never bred for that market at all. There are exceptions, of course, but I would want to know their breeding out of curiosity.) The problem is the attributes that make top sj'ers are actively against higher level event success.

However, you already own the horse so it's worth trying to crack it. My only point is not to discourage you, only to point out that he's not necessarily acting in an unexpected way.

You've had some good suggestions, I think you have to try the ones that seem most likely to address the cause and then work your way down the list.

ChestnutMonty

Visit site
Thank you all for your replies :)

I feel a bit better that I am not the only one! :)
I try and solve and analise everything - but i think it is just time and persistance that will be 'the cure'.

I agree tricksibell85 - I have also changed everything - which is why I think we have imporved to where we are now - but still not finished! I have also changed jump saddle, feed & calmer!, he wouldnt stay out for more than 1 hour when i first got him and now he lives out with the quiet cobs (April-Sept) and he is much happier!

Good point I will do more XC schooling though, and also consider the hunting over the winter, i have a friend who goes regularly so i may give it a go!

Lec:
What happens if you approach slower - out of trot? exactly the same :/
What would happen if he gets an absolute hiding for doing this? I would be on the deck! I whacked him once at his second event in 2011 and he bolted accross the warm up bucking - i have no idea how i stayed on! and needless to say have never used it since! However he is much more chilled now and I think i might practise at home and give him a couple of light taps infront of a fence and see how he reacts...
What would happen if you went HC and went xc with two schooling whips? Good idea, will try at home and schooling
What happens if you wear bigger spurs? Good idea, will try at home and schooling

Thanks again all, always get lots of good advice and help on here - I will keep on going and keep you all updated on our progress!! :D

Tweseldown and Dauntsey Park next month... watch this space! lol

kerilli

Visit site
If you haven't already, I would try de-spooking him at home over VERY small fences. say, a foot high. drape the fence with every rug you have, in turn, patterned shower curtains, black tarpaulin, you name it, anything to make it a different colour and shape. I'd lay them under a pole, have them on the floor to hop over alone, etc. He has to learn that he MUST go forward and jump what you are aiming him at first time, and if it's small you'll win faster and are less likely to get ejected. Fine if he goes from walk, or trot, but he must go first time.
I had a Hann x TB like this, spookiest git that ever walked the earth. As said already, he was one who could have jumped 1.50... and his SJ breeding meant that he was VERY careful/spooky... the record was rearing vertical about 10 times running at being asked to jump my spooky white filler, all 1'6" of it...
I won. He became braver. He never totally got over his ditchyness but he got clears at tricky Novices (incl spooky skinnies etc) before getting injured... he was trained to be brave and to enjoy xc, so it definitely can be done. Not sure how far he'd have gone before his natural wussyness eventually outweighed my determination though!
Good luck!

foxy1

Visit site
Also, remember to de-spook on grass once you've done it in the arena- my horse will jump a filler in the arena, put the same filler in the field and his eyes are on stalks, won't go within 10 strides of it.