Cross poles info needed please

Meoldmucka

Visit site
I'm a total beginner but my husband's family are very horsey and my daughter age six is pony mad. She has expressed an interest in jumping so I was just looking for some info so it can be something that we can work towards.
What height are cross poles?
What does 'cross poles, may be assisted' mean on the event schedule?
Does anyone else's six year old do any SJ competitions?
Thanks in advance, any advice greatly received

Shay

Visit site
My daughter was doing SJ at six. I think the was unassisted at that point but we certainly did our fair share of assisted cross poles and led courses. Wear flat shoes and prepared to run. Its easier to lead if you jump the jumps yourself at the same time.

Meoldmucka

Visit site
Thanks guys that's really helpful! How would I assist without actually leading her? I'm not sure she'd actually remember the course! And the instructions say anyone in the ring must be smartly dressed so what should i wear? Any videos of anyone assisting so I could have a look? Thanks everyone!

Cowpony

Visit site
Assistance means anything from telling her which jump to do next to grabbing the reins and leading the pony up to/over the jump if it's napping. Our yard runs mini SJ competitions and the rules say the pony can be carried if necessary, but I think that's a bit tongue in cheek! At the weekend we had a 3 year old being held on while being led.

No idea on the clothing side I'm afraid. Just make sure that your footwear allows you to run and jump.

doodle

Visit site
Assistance can be you standing in the middle and reminding her which jump is next to leading the whole way over the jumps.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
If I was going to dress smartly I would wear nice jeans and appropriate shoes (boots or trainers), jumper and a body warmer/coat.

I assist my daughter by standing in the middle and walking in the general vacinity of the jump shes jumping to help her see where to go next. Good luck! Hope she has fun x

Meoldmucka

Visit site
Sorry for all the questions, what should daughter wear? Do kids wear stocks or ties etc (she's not in PC). She has beige kids and black boots/chaps. Jacket colour? Ribbons in hair or is that just showing? Thanks so much

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Show jumping tends to be fairly relaxed about dress code. A couple of local venues insist on light jods and tied back hair but that's about it. Jacket can be any colour and in the summer short sleeved shirts are ok. No one is going to worry about stock or tie and colour or just a round coloured shirt without anything.

IrishMilo

Visit site
Sorry for all the questions, what should daughter wear? Do kids wear stocks or ties etc (she's not in PC). She has beige kids and black boots/chaps. Jacket colour? Ribbons in hair or is that just showing? Thanks so much

It's really not important at that level; I don't think any event organiser will mind what colour jacket the littlies are wearing. A white top or shirt, with a dark jumper and beige or white jods would be fine! Any colour jacket is fine for show jumping but blue or black is most mainstream. Tweed would also be fine. No need for ribbons in the hair or plaiting pony either.

oldie48

Visit site
Join PC if you can. Not only will she meet other children and make friends, it's also a good source of secondhand kit. My daughter was jumping at 6 and provided you have the right pony your daughter will have a lovely time. Mine did her first hunter trial at 6 and just loved every minute, I was worried to death but got used to it eventually. I am very envious as we had such fun but sadly none of my grandchildren are interested.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Agree with the joining pony club - its well worth it.

As for dress code just smart and clean for daughter, it really doesnt need to be fancy or posh! tweed, navy or black jacket, beige/stone/cream jods and a shirt/tie or a showshirt. Jod boots+gaiters or boots. And her BP! :D

She'll have a fab time, make sure to take loads of photos xx

Annagain

Visit site
It might be an idea to go along and just watch for the first time so you can get an idea of what others are wearing and what you would need to do. We have one place round here that allows dark sweatshirts with beige/white jods for kids and one that insists on jackets so it could depend on the venue - likewise one insists kids wear body protectors for any jumping and one doesn't.