Cross tie bungies

alainax

Visit site
This is such a ridiculous question I fee daft for asking. I should have probably put it in the musings thread :p

Ive got a new trailer so in the process of "kitting it out". In my old trailer, I had two cross tie bungies, above head height attached to twine.

I often wondered if this is such a stupid idea. I googled it a few times and even on here the replies were many have the same set up.

The issue I see is that if the bungee is pulled hard enough to snap the twine, there is going to be a great big metal clip catapulted towards the horses face.

So I wondered if it's safer to bungee directly to the trailer? Not like you want them escaping anyway. But the thought of tying a horse directly to something gives me the heebie jeebies.

I do like the bungees, as I think they offer a nice bit of resistance whilst still allowing freedom of head movement.

Thoughts appreciated :)

Shay

Visit site
My Bungees are attached directly to the trailer but with a safety release clip on the horse end. In an accident the clip will give way leaving the horse free (It can also be released by the hook thingy on the end of the equine rescue unit pole.) I've actually not seen bungees attached to the trailer with twine. I would share your worry that if the twine gave way the heavy clip would be left dangling from the horse.

But you do have to have a safety clip or break point at the horse end.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I don't like elasticated ones. I use trailer ties which are soft webbing and clip them directly onto the trailer. They have a panic clip end.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I did used to have bungees, attached straight to the box, with the quick release on the horse end so if something gave way the bungee would flash back to the box not the horse.

Then, I heard of an accident even like this, and I guess came to the conclusion that when tight there was an awful lot of power in a bungee, so sold them all on ebay and bought the same, but non-elastic. In fact my new ones have adjustable length strapping, so if the horse pulled very hard the rope would possibly still lengthen, but not with elastic.

Shoei

Visit site
I stopped using bungees after I had a horse pull back and snapped it. Luckily it was only the outer skim before he stopped but the straggly bits of elastic wouldn't have held him if he wanted to go! He stopped with the bungee extended to about 7 ft! I was terrified of the attachments coming off!