Cross tying in trailer

Carlosmum

Visit site
I have issue with loading the pony. Normally he is happy to walk into the trailer and stand with me at his head. The moment I go to pop up the rear bar he steps back. I know it is all about ground work etc and on the ground he is perfect, there is something about being in the trailer he doesn't feel comfortable about. He seems a bit claustrophobic so I have removed the partition and am using full width bars at each end. If the front bar is down and the front ramp is up, he can turn in the trailer. my current thought is to clip the ties on whilst I am at his head, so I can go to the back to put the bar up. My question is can a horse pull back on x ties? I have tried him with a loading harness but he just put all his weight into it until the straps slip.
Should I attach the x ties to the rings on the headcollar noseband or the rings at eye level. Once he is secure he is completely fine travels happily and walks off the trailer quietly. Todays project is to long line him in so that I am already at the rear.
I am at my wits end, took him for a lovely ride at the w/e round stubbles etc, it took 2.5 hours to load him to come home. Reading this back it sounds rather muddled but I hope you get my drift. Any thoughts on the x ties?

ihatework

Visit site
Yes they can pull back on cross ties, I’ve had one do it in the circumstances you describe. But just took a bit of time and training and he now just stands there.
Best to have a spare pair of hands to start with to do the back bar up for you.

Again teaching them to self load is useful if you are on your own as you can then do back bar up before tying up. But you generally need a partition for that otherwise they can turn around

jnb

Visit site
Please don't clip anything onto a headcollar at eye level, IMO it is asking for an eye injury.
Clip on the noseband rings of the headcollar either side. Then do up the breach bar.
PS Always clip AWAY from the horse's face not inwards if that makes sense. Seen a horse with the clip through it's lip, it wasn't pretty. Another reason I don't use the spring clips, only Walsall ones.

paddi22

Visit site
I have one that does the same thing. she has snapped the cross ties in the past but the time I was racing to get around the back to put up ramp.Now I cross tie but I hang a bucket with some feed off the breast bar. this usually keeps her occupied enough for a few seconds for me to nip out and put the back ramp up. then I jump in jockey door and take out the bucket.

Last edited: