Crossed fingers - finally cracked the cough?

Lacuna

Visit site
My hairy coblet has had a cough for the best part of 6 months- he's got a dust allergy and we've spent a looong time tweaking his management to get it better. I just realised today that we'd just done a hour hack with no coughing / wheezing at all and the YO has said she hasn't heard him cough since Christmas

Being cautiously optimistic that we've managed to get it right now - he's on Airways with his feed, haylege, with Koff Ease with a handful of chaff before being ridden. We have hayfever tablets on standby as well for the spring if the pollen sets him off again (lot of rapeseed round here).

So happyto have my boy improving again :)

Rosiebelle

Visit site
hi Lacuna we are having the same issues with our horse, this is our first winter with him. He is in by night in the winter can I ask if yours is stabled and what bedding you use. We have lovely home grown straw which is my fav bedding but don't think it is helping with his allergies. Now going down the whole bedding route. Looking at Wood fibre at the moment. Our boy gets summer allergies as well and is very pink skinned so always has to be in part of the day winter and summer. We are having great results with putting vaseline around his nostrils at night and giving him Hilton Herbs freeway gold liquid. It is a real art making him comfortable. We are still coughing when out hoping the new bedding will help.

ponyparty

Visit site
I've changed my boy onto flax bedding - Equisorb - it is amazing stuff! No dust at all, really easy to use. I get poos out every day, but only get wet out every 2-3 days - and still it only comes to 3/4 of a barrow fulll (wet and poop!) When he was on straw I was getting 2 barrows out daily, and the whole of the middle of the stable would be wet. I don't even need to put in a bag per week - could probably have got away with not putting one in this week but as I've just taken him barefoot thought I'd make his bed bigger so it's softer underfoot. I can't rate it enough!

ETA - well done OP, glad you've got your boy's cough under control :)

OldieButGoodie

Visit site
I have a sensitive horse who gets a cough during the pollen season - all year round he gets haylage and I use Equisorb flax bedding with him too. In summer he gets Piriton in his feed and vaseline up his nose which seems to do the trick!

Lacuna

Visit site
We've moved him onto Wood pellet bedding - apart from the initial dust created when the bed goes down it works really well. Similar management to the flax ponyparty uses.

I'm going to try and keep him on the haylege - but we get into weight management issues in the summer.