Croup high, forward girth groove, wide rib cage....girthing woes!

lucy_108

Visit site
I have a 13.2 Welsh Cob X who I rescued at 11 months old. He is now a month shy of four years old and I have spent the last 18 months doing a butt tonne of groundwork, desensitisation and have more recently backed him. Before anyone jumps on me, he is literally pootling around - 10 minutes in the arena learning whoa and go, then out hacking walking up and down some gentle hills and just meeting the big wide world from a different view. He is NOT being ''worked'', drilled or ''schooled''.

He is still croup high and I would imagine will be growing for at least another year, but I am starting to wonder if he will always be a little croup high conformationally (speculation). Anyway, I am used to mountain withered, sport horse types so did not trust myself to pick a suitable saddle so immediately booked a saddler before I started doing anything with him (I backed him in an aviemore pad because it was just so much easier and he's got a nice flat table back which made it easier still!).

The saddler was fab, really looked at him from all angles and admitted he would be tricky to fit, however, we found a W/XW Ideal WH saddle that had come off a Highland that sat pretty well. It is a good fit length and width wise and I did ride in it with the saddler and it didn't seem to move much, however, now we're a bit further down the line and he's (I imagine) changed shaped a little and lost a little weight too, the saddle is just riding too far forward. I have booked the saddler to come back out, however, he said to try and different girth first as I've just had him in a non-elastic thoroughgood one.

THe difficulty comes with the pony being croup high, having a very forward girth groove and being a little barrel shaped (despite not being obese).

Could anyone recommend a girth that is sub £100 but made for this situation? Also what are people's views on the elasticated, non elasticated debated .... I've always ridden elasticated both ends but feel that will give the saddle too much wiggle room?

PLEASE don't come at me telling me the saddle doesn't fit. It actually does. It sits well on him when I tack up, but his shape and conformation force it forward. As I said above, the saddler is coming back to reassess, but I want to try and girth first to see if that at least helps.

TIA!

SEL

Visit site
Before I changed to a WOW saddle with my forward girth groove pony I was using a flex girth. Not expensive and she's quite fussy so worth looking at.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I use a flexigirth on my flat backed round Arab it's the only girth that stops his saddle moving forward.

Only thing is if your horse has a forward girth groove you may need an anatomical girth for elbow clearance, my other Arab is croup high with a forward girth groove and I use a kentaur anatomical leather girth on him but I don't have saddle slipping issues with him.

dottylottie

Visit site
shires velociti lusso on both of my welshies, very much croup high, forward wither with both of them! my saddle fitter recommended i try one, and they’re fab. £70 ish, lovely and soft and sit exactly where you want, which is an issue i had with one of them in particular - everything jammed up into her armpits!

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I recommend Harry Dabbs anatomical (elasticated for my customers but that may not be the case for the way your fitter fits) and the Stubben cord, if there's space (they're wide). Anything more extreme than that and I'd be looking to saddle fit and posture, though working on posture from the ground is always a good thing anyway.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
We had one of those welshxarab who also had no shoulders to speak of which helped 🙄.
She was best in an ideal affinity F2 iirc

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
String girth from Kramer, they're cheaper and not as wide as the Stubben ones.

The width is part of why it works, spreading pressure and grip so a narrower one won't work quite the same, though is probably a good girth. The other downside to the Stubben is if you're trying to use adjacent girth straps, the buckles may end up on top of each other which creates a pressure point. Again I would imagine the Kramer one would not have this issue, but will it work the same.....?

dorsetladette

Visit site
You could be writing about my welsh C gelding. He is 4 in April. He has been perfectly level his whole life (had him since 9 months) but all of a sudden he is a little bum high. He has big shoulders and a very forward girth groove. I've got him in a Tekna GP saddle with a limpet pad under neath. The only girth I've found so far that sits nicely in the tiny forward girth groove I have to work with is an old leather girth made for showing years ago. It's very narrow (not ideal I know), basically two lengths of 1.5/2 inch sewn together in the middle with a buckle at each end. This is the only girth I've used where the saddle does not slip when getting on and off. I've tried a anatomical, straight cottage craft, the synthetic shaped one/Thorough good and a stubben string girth (far to wide).

I know my set up isn't ideal, but it works for now. He's going to change shape (hopefully grow) and I will be buying a better quality saddle, which will then need looking at and experimenting with different set ups again. (so all the girths get saved in the hopes one fits)