Cruel to put in?

jacksmum

Visit site
Does anybody on here have a horse with navicular and stable them?
Not 24 hours but over night?
I really need a school to ride in but would need to move to a yard that has one which would mean boy would need to come in overnight which he hasn't done since being diagnosed and am not sure if it makes navicular worse?
Many thanks

scrumpygus

Visit site
My horse has navicular and is stabled overnight. She was turned out full time when she was first diagnosed and hated it now she goes out normally 7am till 3pm and cant wait to get back in - she is ridden 5 times a week and with the help of raised pads in her shoes she is sound. She was diagnosed around 6-7 years ago and since the remedial shoeing its been fine - no problems with it at all. I certainly cant imagine that being in a warm stable overnight could possibly make it worse - if it does it certainly hasnt applied to my horse.
So i would go for it!

jacksmum

Visit site
Thankyou both.
My vet said that navicular is better with a constant flowing blood supply which 24/7 turnout gives but was worried standing in would not help this.
sandg1 it is lovely to hear stories like yours
smile.gif

mrsbt

Visit site
My sister's mare has navicular amoung other things and we tried having her out 24 hours since September (she is also nanny to my 9 month old foal) but she wanted to come in.

We have just moved them back to the original yard where she comes in at 3pm and is back out at 6.30am, she much prefers it and it hasnt made things worse.

Umbongo

Visit site
My friend had a horse with quite severe navicular. After lots of remedial shoeing and injections....he is now as good as he was before diagnosis.
He now does regular hunter trials and BE eventing up to Novice.

As far as I know he is turned out 24/7 in the summer months and stabled every night in the winter and he is fine.

welshiecob

Visit site
I used to work at a yard where there was a mare with Navicular. She was stabled for about eighteen hours a day. She was fine with it and the vet didn't worry about it