Eventing Cruising / Cavalier Royale or Ginger Dick?

sanjo

Visit site
Looking at different options for producing an eventer. Pros and cons for a 4 year old by Cruising/ Cavalier Royal and Ginger Dick. Both out of King of Diamonds line. Which would you prefer?

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I avoided cruising like the plague but have ended up with a puissance x cruising on damline which was my bad for not paying enough attention. Actually, he is a lovely horse, luckily, because I did think WTF have I done at first.

Tbh for eventing you go on the horse. Is it well put together? Has a good jump? Enough blood to gallop well? Great brain and moves well? If yes, then go with it. I have bloodlines I love and now have two geldings with mediocre breeding but great brains.

spotty_pony2

Visit site
My Cavalier Royale (grand son) was quirky but had a heart of gold. He loved his jumping and was very bold to a fence. I used to hunt a cruising horse and again he was fantastic so I am a fan of both but it depends what you are looking for.

foxy1

Visit site
Cruising bloodlines have the reputation of being a professional's horse, whereas Ginger Dick more amateur friendly.

However, as the poster above says, I would look more at individual temperament (first and foremost), then athleticism and conformation. Not from the point of view of a show horse, but for eventing I dislike long pasterns and steep croups.

ElectricChampagne

Visit site
I have a gelding by a son of cruising, he's quirky as be-ffff, but super talented. He's actually a moody mare in disguise. Will do anything for you one day the next, nah down tools and gets stubborn. He's a stressy panicker too. I do love him to bits despite that and he has been a fun horse that has taught me a lot.

I have a little 3 year old filly by Mohill Cavalier Clover who's by Cavalier royal. She's not broken yet but is proving to be a sane, level headed little thing. She seems quite athletic too with the hijinks she can get up to in the field. I'd originally bought her to sell on, but with her temperament I'm debating keeping her once she's broken.

spacefaer

Visit site
If I was only choosing via bloodlines and I wasn't a serious amateur or a professional, I'd choose the Ginger Dick.

We've had horses with Cruising breeding - nappy and backwards thinking, or just sharp. And also very slow maturing
We've had a Cavalier Royale- astonishingly talented but one of the quirkiest horses I've ever met. He'd have been hard to produce if we'd only had him to focus on.
I had a GD when was eventing- lovely looking with a very generous nature. Probably not as talented as the others but highly likely go further due to his inherent trainabilty

However, there are also obviously a multitude of other decisive factors !