CS yesterday-please comments, condition, expression etc:

MadisonBelle

Visit site
I think there is an awful lot of over analysing going on here. Which is the curse of the one or two horse owner rider. Imagine if Star was just one of the x number of horses you had to ride per day, or to drive to a show to compete for an owner. What would you suggest then? Sometimes one gets so caught up in the minutiae that one neglects to see the easy answer.

Absolutely agree being a one horse owner myself!!!

Never ridden at this level and don't think I ever will but in the main this has been a great thread.

Good luck PS, I'm sure you'll figure it out.

oldvic

Visit site
I haven't read through to see what others have said but just glanced at some bits. Hacking is fine if the horse enjoys it but it will achieve nothing if it makes the horse tense. Some horses take comfort from what they know and hacking takes them out of their comfort zone. It is quite possible to keep a horse sweet without taking to the countryside.
Some horses are better just doing 1 test particularly when they get up the levels. At PSG there is a greater physical effort required so maybe uou should save the energy that you are using ing the 1st test.

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
checking in to report on lesson:

was really really good, really feel i got a ton out of it.

started off by talking through our major weak areas, stuff i feel i need to work on etc which is obviously his being in front of my seat/leg. explained that you cant just use the leg off, kick, go, that i would use with any other horse as it falls on deaf ears and he gets resentful and more and more irritable.
we went off and warmed up and straight away she said she wouldnt give him a chance to settle in to his plink-plink-plink *comfort* trot, she would do a lot of walk so he was well warmed up,and then straight away in trot do lots of on and back, but coming almost to half steps on a soft contact, then forward, then half steps, then forward, collecting a little through every corner then forward along short side so he gets used to accelerating out the corner.
this is very different to how i usually warm up-which is to give him time to settle in his own rhythm and gradually ask a bit more with each gear change, but it did work, and we only had one minor explosion, then he accepted it very well and felt much sharper :)

pretty much same thing in canter.

she had me gently tapping/tickling with a whip AS i applied the leg, so he gets used to giving a sharp reaction straight away to the leg, and its less of an issue that they become crafy to having to drop the whip, as they are SO used to leg=go (she trains with carl, and i love how electric but soft his horses are, so this makes total sense for me anyway).

picked him up in the trot and worked on keeping him poll high, my hands closer together and me sitting on my bum more. she really got on at me all the time about riding him UP, and SHARP and using EVERY corner and insisted we ride every stride for a 10 and not just tootle in to things. I really needed that, really needed that kick up the arse.

did LY and SI to medium, thinking quick quick on the hind leg through the entire movement.
in the half pass,think increased bend last few strides, dont let him subtely straighten out and lose the rib softness.

she loved his changes in the canter, and his medium canter :)

worked the piris a fair bit, riding a 10m circle without letting him over collect, keeping him sharp and forward then bringing the hip over and using the whip not as punishment but to help keep the rhythm. he is stiffer to the left so she sent me away with homework to do on suppling him to that side a bit more.

said to ride them big (like i am doing) at home, working piris concentrating on being in control of every step and every inch of bend, them let HIM take them a bit tighter in the ring, so we arent arguing about size-this is a bit of a *meet him in the middle* movement, and again, makes sense to me and will probably stop him ejecting the toys.

in ref to shows, she agreed with the idea of getting my last few WQ points at adv med, then doing the PSG only at shows, she said she never does more than 1 class per day above adv med, and would also not do much piri work in the warm up.
so, he's already dropped to 2 x adv med next wed, and will then have a few weeks break whilst fig wig goes to the area festivals, and then hopefully we can pick up the PSG again on its own.

so thanks HHO for those suggestions, you were right!!!! :)

FWIW she felt he wasnt overly pushed, and in fact said he really needs to pull his socks up a bit and man up, i cant baby him round in a wishy washy trot and wait for him to make the 1st move. I have to ask and he has to give, a little bit more 60/40 in my favour.
she also said was i going to do an inter I this year and had he started the 1's.
the answer is no to both, and neither will happen this year, but it was interesting that she didnt feel that would be unusual or irresponsible.
she fully expected him to be able to do pi/pa and at least some 2's based on his age,and whilst i have NO intention of pushing harder or faster, it was interesting to get insight in to where the pros expect them to be.

she didnt feel i was bonkers to aim for GP. agreed that clearly we wont give the selectors any headaches, but that if i ride for every mark and dont plink round like a lemon, we should do ok :grin:

loads and loads to work on and im shattered but i loved every second and will be booking another in a couple of weeks, as soon as my diary allows really :)

halfstep-from SI, and yes to piri canter giving the reins :)

prob i would say is the collection, not the turning.

he starts the equijewel tonight, and ill be interested to see how that works out. he felt really good and forward again tonight so i really dont think its feed or ulcer related, he accepted everything really sweetly, which he never would have done prior to the omeprazole.

he had his ears pricked throughout and she said he looked very content and relaxed, bit too dopey really, but a nice partnership and pleasing to the eye. we just need to up the ooomph to turn a nice 7 in to a wow 8.

phew, sleepy PS and CS!

BeckyC

Visit site
Sounds a very productive lesson and very interesting about not letting him settle into a plink plink trot but keep him changing the trot to keep him thinking. I may well borrow this to see if this works with my TB! Sounds like you've got a very sensible plan of action to go forward with too so good luck :D

LCH611

Visit site
[QUOTE I don't understand the mentality that seems to assume that hacking out will cure all ills, why force an anxious horse into something that increases his anxiety? ..[/QUOTE]

Not saying that hacking out will cure all ills, it was offered up as a suggestion to see if a break from schooling/competing would sweeten him up & enable him to come back to work with a better attitude. OP has explained that it is not an option.

In the meantime OP has come back to say that she has had a v productive lesson so all is good.

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
checking in to report on lesson:

was really really good, really feel i got a ton out of it.

started off by talking through our major weak areas, stuff i feel i need to work on etc which is obviously his being in front of my seat/leg. explained that you cant just use the leg off, kick, go, that i would use with any other horse as it falls on deaf ears and he gets resentful and more and more irritable.
we went off and warmed up and straight away she said she wouldnt give him a chance to settle in to his plink-plink-plink *comfort* trot, she would do a lot of walk so he was well warmed up,and then straight away in trot do lots of on and back, but coming almost to half steps on a soft contact, then forward, then half steps, then forward, collecting a little through every corner then forward along short side so he gets used to accelerating out the corner.
this is very different to how i usually warm up-which is to give him time to settle in his own rhythm and gradually ask a bit more with each gear change, but it did work, and we only had one minor explosion, then he accepted it very well and felt much sharper :)

pretty much same thing in canter.

she had me gently tapping/tickling with a whip AS i applied the leg, so he gets used to giving a sharp reaction straight away to the leg, and its less of an issue that they become crafy to having to drop the whip, as they are SO used to leg=go (she trains with carl, and i love how electric but soft his horses are, so this makes total sense for me anyway).

picked him up in the trot and worked on keeping him poll high, my hands closer together and me sitting on my bum more. she really got on at me all the time about riding him UP, and SHARP and using EVERY corner and insisted we ride every stride for a 10 and not just tootle in to things. I really needed that, really needed that kick up the arse.

did LY and SI to medium, thinking quick quick on the hind leg through the entire movement.
in the half pass,think increased bend last few strides, dont let him subtely straighten out and lose the rib softness.

she loved his changes in the canter, and his medium canter :)

worked the piris a fair bit, riding a 10m circle without letting him over collect, keeping him sharp and forward then bringing the hip over and using the whip not as punishment but to help keep the rhythm. he is stiffer to the left so she sent me away with homework to do on suppling him to that side a bit more.

said to ride them big (like i am doing) at home, working piris concentrating on being in control of every step and every inch of bend, them let HIM take them a bit tighter in the ring, so we arent arguing about size-this is a bit of a *meet him in the middle* movement, and again, makes sense to me and will probably stop him ejecting the toys.

in ref to shows, she agreed with the idea of getting my last few WQ points at adv med, then doing the PSG only at shows, she said she never does more than 1 class per day above adv med, and would also not do much piri work in the warm up.
so, he's already dropped to 2 x adv med next wed, and will then have a few weeks break whilst fig wig goes to the area festivals, and then hopefully we can pick up the PSG again on its own.

so thanks HHO for those suggestions, you were right!!!! :)

FWIW she felt he wasnt overly pushed, and in fact said he really needs to pull his socks up a bit and man up, i cant baby him round in a wishy washy trot and wait for him to make the 1st move. I have to ask and he has to give, a little bit more 60/40 in my favour.
she also said was i going to do an inter I this year and had he started the 1's.
the answer is no to both, and neither will happen this year, but it was interesting that she didnt feel that would be unusual or irresponsible.
she fully expected him to be able to do pi/pa and at least some 2's based on his age,and whilst i have NO intention of pushing harder or faster, it was interesting to get insight in to where the pros expect them to be.

she didnt feel i was bonkers to aim for GP. agreed that clearly we wont give the selectors any headaches, but that if i ride for every mark and dont plink round like a lemon, we should do ok :grin:

loads and loads to work on and im shattered but i loved every second and will be booking another in a couple of weeks, as soon as my diary allows really :)

halfstep-from SI, and yes to piri canter giving the reins :)

prob i would say is the collection, not the turning.

he starts the equijewel tonight, and ill be interested to see how that works out. he felt really good and forward again tonight so i really dont think its feed or ulcer related, he accepted everything really sweetly, which he never would have done prior to the omeprazole.

he had his ears pricked throughout and she said he looked very content and relaxed, bit too dopey really, but a nice partnership and pleasing to the eye. we just need to up the ooomph to turn a nice 7 in to a wow 8.

phew, sleepy PS and CS!

What a lovely, positive report. Some of the things she got you doing (obviously just the simpler lateral work :p) is how my instructor gets me to do it so I am glad you agree with it lol!

It's so good to have a fresh pair of eyes and she sounds positive about you both so that's good.

I have to say, think she's right re the only doing one test. I loathe going to comps and only doing one test, it's all over far too soon and so much faffing for what, 5 mins? BUT, at the level you're at where the work is much more physically and mentally challenging, I think it'd probs be best.

Onwards and upwards hopefully!

TPO

Visit site
Glad that the lesson went so well and that you now have a plan to go forward with.

Looking forward to the next update :)

MillionDollar

Visit site
Sounds fab! :D Fingers crossed dropping to one PSG test works :) By the sounds of it he was just tired by doing an Adv Medium first and was basically like sod off I'm tired, I am NOT doing piris :p he he.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Excellent report :D

Fingers crossed you're on the right track for some happy comps :D

We're no-where near your level, but have a new instructor and she insists that even the walk into the school is alive and forward and that we look like we mean business. Seems to be, with a lot of horses and riders, the way to go :cool:. Does make for a tiring lesson until one is used to it though :eek::D