Video Cudo's adventures continue.... First school over a 1.40m course and some conditioning work :)

BunnyDog

Visit site
Ok so it was an abbreviated course since it was like the temperature of sitting on the Sun's surface. :p:cool: But of the 9 fences, 6 were at 1.40. I will tell you that the hardest part was getting to my friend's farm, where I came to school, and raising all the jumps from 0.70m to 1.40. LOL. That was a bit of a mental exercise. But I was excited to get on and go.

Cudo felt like he could have had the following thoughts (with German accent of course): "It's about time that we encountered fences at the right height. Where has this been my whole life!!?"

He ate it up. Of course, as a rider I would be remiss if I didn't mention that I had my share of nervous energy and as such there was some 'less than stellar' riding and a bit more "git her done" kind of kick, yank and pray. Now... this was how it was for me when I started at 1.20 a number of years ago too. It get's easier when you do it more. So I am hopeful that we can polish up our acts as we progress, but Cudo being as scopey as he is helped to get through some of my less finessed moments.:D

John got some pics which are shared on Cudo's Fb page and here:
I have video here: This is actually all the jumps we did minus one vertical that he hit but the video was bobbly so I didn't include it.

All of this was a really great outing if you figure that the day before we went to Boyd Martin's and galloped on his all weather track surfaces during a VERY busy Saturday am. Cudo was bug eyed at all the eventers schooling xc in all directions and we had company on the track and turns out Cudo is NOT great about sitting in behind another leader. LOL. We managed to cover 7.3 miles in an hour and a quarter. Most of it trotting and walking. He only did 1.7 miles cantering but we did some speed work as well and for a not Tb, he was so happy to be fast galloping.

Here's the screen shot of what all we did:

187133276_836603963928246_3559889935316794021_n.jpg

Our next show is starting 6/7. (Yes a Monday and its a great show that Cudo went to in 2018, The Upperville Horse Show) I've chosen that show since my ring will have the services of Alan Wade as course designer. I have loved his courses since I was covering the Omaha World Cup and I have now twice headed to this venue to give myself an education about riding well over his courses. Last time I got to ride Alan's courses was fall of 2017 on my Tb "Gin" who then was diagnosed with cervical arthritis and retired there after. We didn't fare as well over Alan's courses. LOL. That said I am really looking forward to riding Cudo over them. I have been spending my nights watching some of his past courses on Clip My Horse/FeiTv. He's a thinking horseman designer and I'm hopeful that my brain is up for the task.

So that's our latest update.

Thanks for reading and watching. I hope you all have a great week!!

Em

Last edited:

BunnyDog

Visit site
super photos, i love the pre-take off ones, what power.

You made that look easy :)

It's moments like this I wish there was a way to see my thoughts in some capturable way. I was oddly settled and pointing him at these fences felt very logical and easy.

Reminder, I was SCARED of ALL oxers before Cudo. 1.10m and up was heart palpitation land. So casually pointing him at a 1.40 course .... LOL. Basically I'm a foreigner in my own body.:D:p

Em

TPO

Visit site
Wow, he just eats up the bigger fences doesn't he? What tidy knees too, especially through that double.

Clearly he was feeling very good about himself too after that green and white fence!

You look great together. Good luck for your show

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Reminder, I was SCARED of ALL oxers before Cudo. 1.10m and up was heart palpitation land.
Lol, relatable :p
Square ones especially! My friend used to square up my nice inviting ascending oxers. so I made the uprights gappy as that was her nemesis!
Good to know it's possible to overcome oxer-phobia though, you've done a very convincing job ;)

BunnyDog

Visit site
Lol, relatable :p
Square ones especially! My friend used to square up my nice inviting ascending oxers. so I made the uprights gappy as that was her nemesis!
Good to know it's possible to overcome oxer-phobia though, you've done a very convincing job ;)

I have said it before and I'll say it again....A friend told me "It's all about the set of ears that you're looking through." I understood what she meant when she said it. But until I lived it with Cudo, I didn't comprehend the full effect.

He is the thing that makes my wildest fantasies tenable. I just thought I sucked as a rider and would forever.

Em

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
He lights up over the big stuff Em, doesn't he!? I got stuck at 1.15 SJ, well done for beating your fears.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
lovely photos and video, he makes it look so easy....seems like you have a great partnership..thanks for posting, its nice to see how far you have both come

BunnyDog

Visit site
Lovely to watch. He’s a cracker. Fantastic venue too.

“Corgi in the Liverpool“ ?

There are many things I have said in my life (especially with my job) that I never thought I would say. But seeing "Rio" in the liverpool and not waddling with any kind of speed, that was a new one on me. LOL.

Thankfully we didn't actually jump over him, though I doubt Cudo would have minded. But for sure we made sure to watch where he was thereafter.

Em