"curb chain" bit in H&H this week

reynold

Visit site
What do you think of this ?

At least a waterford is thicker and rounded. At least the vendor doesn't advertise it online (wonder how long it'll be before it appears on e-bay?)

However - to me it looks near onto getting to the point of putting a piece of wire in a horses mouth.

Horrible bit - irrespective of whether it is only sold to 'knowledgeable riders'

The write up that it is used 'at home' on a show horses and showjumpers. It goes on to state that the horses 'can't lean on it' !!

mmmmmmmmm - there are too many 'gadget' bits around atm I think and this is awful - putting a curbchain as the 'bit' in a horses mouth - yuck

and the rider quoted states that she's thinking of having one made into a pelham - so a curb chain IN the mouth AND a curb chain in the curb groove !!

kerilli

Visit site
horrible. the comment that it "would be an accurate bit to ride in as you can manipulate one side of the bit and not the other due to the numerous links which give good communication" is complete and utter codswallop... the more links, the less precise the communication. i couldn't believe they'd printed that tbh.
frown.gif

Tia

Visit site
Oh I've never seen one like that before. No I can't imgine using one of those for English riding. Thanks for posting the photo.
smile.gif

georgiegirl2

Visit site
Doesnt look very nice at all! I would imagine the tongue getting pinched in the links, no wonder the horses will back off and seemingly be 'in control' in it, they'll be bloody frightened witless in their mouths!

Now im not one of these 'everything has to be done in a fat snaffle' people by any means but surely a waterford or dare i say it a blunt twisted snaffle would have the same effect? Some horses need different (and i use this word instead of stronger) mouthpieces which suit them but this absolutely smacks of those horrible archaic things you see on display somewhere!

flyingfeet

Visit site
No worse than a single jointed snaffle

People should really think before writing off a bit.

If you hold a curb chain on your hand you can see that there are no parts to pinch and actually this is softer on the bars than either a fast or slow twist snaffle.

Still better to condem the unknown huh?????

Tia

Visit site
Well I was interested in the post; you had to go and frighten everyone off.
tongue.gif

I have a sweetiron half-chain bit and my horses love it....but then I am a western rider.
cool.gif

Similar to this one;

CC%20Wonder%20Bit.jpg

flyingfeet

Visit site
That bit is actually much nicer than a single joint

The chain in the middle eliminates the nutcracker effect, so no poking the roof of the mouth or sharp squeezing of the jaw.

Your horses may also enjoy this bit, as the ones with the fat tongues will find it easier to swallow with than a straight bar.

The flexibility in the middle also means you have independant side movement - so you can use only bar of the mouth discreet to the other.

However its a chain and therefore clearly the work of the devil and very very severe ............
grin.gif

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site
Can be a nice bit in nice hands but telling everyone about them is just asking every ham fisted rider to invest in one as no one will admit to being heavy handed with no feel.

Weezy

Visit site
Well I was really pleased to see the bit in H&H as I have been pondering on using one for a while now. My mare has a ridiculously big tongue and I find it so hard to bit her in something that means she has space to swallow and not have to open her gob to do so. I am deffo up for trying it.

flyingfeet

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Can be a nice bit in nice hands but telling everyone about them is just asking every ham fisted rider to invest in one as no one will admit to being heavy handed with no feel.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you think we should censor lorinery books?? Maybe people should have to take test before purchasing information???

Considering you see double bridles, everywhere (IMHO much more severe and often seen in the hands of nunmpties). I really don't think this is going to cause much damage in the equine world.

Louby

Visit site
I was interested in the article too, my horse has an awful habit of drawing his tongue back and opening his mouth almost constantly. Ive probably tried every bit going! Ive tried a flash and drop noseband too but he still does it and ends up rubbing the sides of his mouth with the constant movement so I give up with them and am back to his caveson and a thinner NS snaffle. It really effects riding as he never takes a contact although is round and when he does it he's almost mezmerised.