Curb chain query

Harry Houdini

Visit site
Hi, I was trained the BHS way to have the curb hook inside the bit ring on each side but I've been reading old books that have the hook and chain on the outside of the offside bit ring, threaded through, and fasten to the hook on the inside of the nearside bit ring. Is this because most people are stronger with the right hand? Or have I been doing it wrong all along?

planete

Visit site
Pony club advice on fitting a curb chain on a Pelham:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
. I had also heard of putting the chain through the bit rings but have never done it, preferring it fitted and adjusted to come into action as it would on a double bridle.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
This is how I fit mine on a basic Pelham, as taught by the likes of Sybil Smith, Pauline Voss and Valerie Millwood. I was taught that this has a more moderate effect on the horse or pony.
The photo below isn't a good one though as the chain is too short.
The more recent way is to hang without going through the bit rings.
20210424_213313.jpg
Other forms of Pelham which dont have the upper bit ring, they are fitted in the groove.
Always with a lip strap.

Spotherisk

Visit site
At 1:05 in that PC video she demonstrates exactly why the chain should be fastened through the rings! She flexes the reins and the hook instantly gets trapped between the ring and the soft corner of the mouth, pinching the horse.

For anyone in doubt fit it then flex the rein whilst on the ground, you can easily see which will be more comfortable.

The lip strap does stop it riding up but won’t stop the pinching.

Harry Houdini

Visit site
Pony club advice on fitting a curb chain on a Pelham:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
. I had also heard of putting the chain through the bit rings but have never done it, preferring it fitted and adjusted to come into action as it would on a double bridle.
But it wouldn't be an issue with a Weymouth as there is only the curb rein ring. I obviously wouldn't have it through the bradoon ring.

planete

Visit site
At 1:05 in that PC video she demonstrates exactly why the chain should be fastened through the rings! She flexes the reins and the hook instantly gets trapped between the ring and the soft corner of the mouth, pinching the horse.

For anyone in doubt fit it then flex the rein whilst on the ground, you can easily see which will be more comfortable.

The lip strap does stop it riding up but won’t stop the pinching.

But she is bringing the hand holding the rein inwards under the horse's chin, not something that could happen when you are in the saddle.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I've never heard of doing them outside before, and never seen it done. I think it looks dreadful, if looks matter, and that if the curb action is too strong you can use a leather one. For hunting, I replaced the hooks with small carabiners after having a disaster losing one.

catkin

Visit site
Hi, I was trained the BHS way to have the curb hook inside the bit ring on each side but I've been reading old books that have the hook and chain on the outside of the offside bit ring, threaded through, and fasten to the hook on the inside of the nearside bit ring. Is this because most people are stronger with the right hand? Or have I been doing it wrong all along?

another thought - is it a way to counteract the twist in a curb chain? even if it is flat (as it absolutely should be!) the links all go one way.
Some years ago you could get curb chains that the links on left and right sides were in opposite directions that was supposed to make the chain lie flatter and more evenly.
I'm no engineer so don't know if this is a thing or not.

Otherwise

Visit site
another thought - is it a way to counteract the twist in a curb chain? even if it is flat (as it absolutely should be!) the links all go one way.
Some years ago you could get curb chains that the links on left and right sides were in opposite directions that was supposed to make the chain lie flatter and more evenly.

It could be but then you still have the same problem with a weymouth. Sprenger made them, think they were something like £50 a curb chain!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
This is why I prefer a double link chain as it sits better than a single link one.