Curb Chains

katie_southwest

Visit site
How tight should they be?
One friend says you should be able to fit a couple of fingers between the chain and horse, but Iv seen another friend riding out with it loose and flopping around - surely it will not even come into use like this?
Ideally how tight should it be?

spottybotty

Visit site
Usually you should be able to get a couple of fingers behind but it can depend on the horse, the problem i have is seeing curb chains on that are too tight!

Ezme

Visit site
I've always done them depending on the horse. They always start with a couple of finger underneath so the chain does not come into action untill the bit comes to a 45degree angle which is correct. However, some horses prefer it loose, some like to "feel" it more constantly. Never had it so tight you can't get one finger under tho. Our boys are all pretty good tho and have never been on a bit setting lower than top bar.

Cassy

Visit site
My problem is that I had to have an extra long chain made to fit my draft horse and the rubber guard if I fit the chain too loose slips to the side and then the chain is in contact with the skin. I have been fitting it fairly tight but don't need to use it very often.