Cures for sweet itch please??!

junglediva

Visit site
one of our yearlings has developed sweetitch, has rubbed all of his mane of (now looks like a newborn foals mane with hairs stiking up like its been spiked ) and his tail looks like a bog brush! Will bring him in early spring when his mane and tail will hopefully have grown back a little, and try and control it or even maintain a tidy amount of hair on him!! hes rubbed it off only in the last month as he had a full head and tail of hair on him since then. Anybody have any ideas on what to rub in it/wash it with next spring/year?? thanks x

Sambo

Visit site
Feed Brewers Yeast in with feeds, or marmite if he'll eat it. Also I bought scratch pads (just astro turf really I think) which gives them something safe to itch on, which doesnt rip hair out. Otherwise just rug up as early as possible with a fly rug/boett type rug.

majca1

Visit site
I would also say feed Brewers Yeast. 25g every day mixed in with feed for very 450kg of horse. For best results start now and keep going right through the year. We rub in Nettex Itch Stop twice a week. Start now but you will be able to stop through the winter and start again before the midges come back rubbing in to all previously affected areas.

Last edited:

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Ditto all above advice plus you could also feed some Linseed. Plus Clivers (the sticky stuff that grows in the hedges during the spring/summer - add it to the horses' haynet) OR you can get it as a supplement. I also feed a small scoop of seaweed per day.

If the horse is itching; apply 2X daily, Killitch, or benzyl benzoate which is the same thing.

But best thing is to prevent it happening by rugging with a Boett or Rambo hoody which stops the midges biting in the first place; and during the sweet itch season (i.e. when you stop getting frosts overnight) best to bring in from dawn to dusk.

Its a total management regime not one quick fix. I've had one horse with sweet itch and am considering buying another with it; its just getting your routine sorted around it rather than letting it be a mega big problem.

And avoid anything with Garlic in it!!! Garlic stimulates the immune system, which is NOT what you want, as sweet itch is a disorder of the horse's immune system and garlic will only make the situation worse.

Tammytoo

Visit site
Unfortunately there is no cure! However all the above advice is spot on. Brewers Yeast all the year round, Boett type sweet-itch rug or Rambo Sweet itch rugs on from February-October, Nettex Itch Stop on the worst spots and also a product from Alva Horse called Alvasweet (AloeVera based) is very good for relieving itching in the mane and tail and also makes the hair lovely and smooth so it doesn't get damaged so easily when they rub.

Welcome to the SI club!

xMoodyMarex

Visit site
my mare also suffers from SI. After trying many lotions and potions, I've now got a routine of various things that work well- she wears a fly sheet 24/7 whenever she is out, she's covered in avon skin so soft spray literally everywhere, she's fed 6 brewers yeast tablets every day and then nettex itch stop salve on her tail and coopers fly repellent plus in her mane. Also the global herbs skratch supplement is good (if you can persuade your horse to eat it!!) and I use that at times when she's particularly itchy.

I feel for you, as I know how horrible it can be seeing your horse so agitated.
I know many people suggest to keep your horse stabled when midge activty is worst, but it's just finding out what works best for your horse, as mine would just itch non-stop if left stabled for any length of time in the summer.

best of luck!! :)