curious behaviour

windand rain

Visit site
Cant really explain without anthropomorphism but my mare has a very peculiar habit
She is very huffy if you do something with another pony she wanders off and wont talk to you she turns her head away when she is caught and wont look at you. If you offer her anything even her favourite treat she will turn away as if you are trying to poison her.
She may deign to take one from someone else or may deprive herself of it altogether and refuse to take anything at all.
She will do this whenever she feels huffy now I am fully aware that horses are not supposed to have that kind of thought process and cant display cognitive emotion but why does she do it She will only do this when she is peeved about something
I was under the impression that horses would only do things in their own interest and not to upset others
To be honest it makes me laugh but it is very weird behaviour

Littlelegs

Visit site
My mare will also blank me if I do something she doesn't approve of. She hates being wormed, although her manners are good enough for her to still behave. After worming, she won't take treats etc from me. But will from someone else. And will move away if I stroke her. Not scared, she just calmly moves her head away. It's not the smell of the wormer on me either, I can worm another horse & she doesn't react, I've even got spare & put it on my hands & she doesn't react. She does the same with a few other minor things too. With her it doesn't come across as sulking, more 'one is not impressed with the attack on ones dignity'. No idea what the actual logic/ emotion is though.

Allie5

Visit site
I have two boys. Full brothers a year apart. The older one gets extremely jealous of anyone (especially me!) talking to his brother. Full on cranky face head nodding but as soon as you turn to talk to him its ears forward sweetness and light! I think they are capable of more emotion and thought than we give them credit for!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
My little mare is permanently angry if I ride my big mare and someone else rides her. Her whole demeanour changes when I ride her or if I am not riding, so its not the person riding that annoys her, but the fact I have betrayed her. She is a funny girl. :)

kellybee

Visit site
I had Bluey for years and years, but when I bought Darcy, if I brought her in before him (at the yard mares were kept next door to the geldings) he would turn his bum, ears back and only come in if I opened the gate and let him wander down ahead of me without his headcollar on. If I went to get him first he'd come with ears pricked and shove his nose into the headcollar. He'd never ever behaved like that before and when D was sold, it never happened again. I don't doubt for a moment it was jealousy.

suffolkmare

Visit site
If a mare blanks you then isn't she treating you like your her naughty foal? In the wild they would ignore the misbehaving youngster and move on, so putting the foal in a vulnerable position slightly distanced from the herd and having to beg/submit in order to be let back "in". Horses have a complex communication system and will respond to any behaviour of herd members, owners/carers included. Our job is to try and understand what they do and why, and to keep a step or more ahead so we are in control of whatever situation it is :rolleyes:, so yes horses exhibit curious behaviour....meanwhile ponies can be downright devious:p

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
We have had a number who have reacted in similar manner, when they have felt slighted for whatever reason. Sisters Clydie (sadly no longer with us) went into full sulk mode when sister had been away for a week, refused to take a treat, look at her, the works (this was a mare who would normally have sold her soul for a treat!) The Old Appy got used to me not always being there at the same time as other people, but did not like me riding other horses or ponies. I once rode the welsh A we had, in the field for about 10 minutes, when we put her back in with the others, the Appy went for her :eek: grabbed her by the back of the neck and dragged her up the field! She did let go when we yelled at her, but the pony had a sore neck for a while. She didn't react the same with our other two horses at the time, but they didn't stand any nonsense from her! We got a weshDxtb about six months after we got the Old Appy, with the intention that sister and I would both ride them both, but the Appy was so asful for sister the first time we rode them that way round, that ever after she was my ride and the welshx was sisters.

Spotsrock

Visit site
If you tell my old mare off she will look you in the face and calmy step on your foot. Happened too many times over the years only when told off to be coincidence. She refuses to get off no matter what you do unless you stroke her and fuss her.

Tilda

Visit site
If I get to the yard and don't immediately go into Max's stable but put all the other horses feeds in first he will go and stand at the back of the stable and refuse to come forward and greet me so I have to go to the back of the stable to put his headcollar on. I ways say he is sulking with me :)

rara007

Visit site
My geldings are awfully jealous of each other- I can't tie them both up and groom one without having to keep a very close eye on the other one threatening to kick the one being groomed :eek:

Jazzy B

Visit site
my gelding trashes his bed and I mean completely trashes his bed the night after I have been away over night and asked someone else to get him in for me, his really clean and tidy the rest of the time

Tormenta

Visit site
I have a mare who huffs. She audibly sighs too if she isn't happy with something, big, deep sigh (Oh for Goodness sake!) A series of short breaths (Really peeing me off now) it is so noticeable, funny creatures :)

trottingon

Visit site
If I have a few days where I'm pushed for time so go to the yard and just do basic jobs (muck out, feeds, hay, water etc) and don't spend much time fussing my Section A he will sulk, big time ignoring me, refusing to look at me, reluctant to move over when I ask, won't let me kiss him (I know I know but I have to kiss him he's just so gorgeous!) 😀😀😀

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
If a mare blanks you then isn't she treating you like your her naughty foal? In the wild they would ignore the misbehaving youngster and move on, so putting the foal in a vulnerable position slightly distanced from the herd and having to beg/submit in order to be let back "in". Horses have a complex communication system and will respond to any behaviour of herd members, owners/carers included. Our job is to try and understand what they do and why, and to keep a step or more ahead so we are in control of whatever situation it is :rolleyes:, so yes horses exhibit curious behaviour....meanwhile ponies can be downright devious:p

I'm not sure about the last part about ponies, but the rest sounds interesting.

ATrueClassAct

Visit site
Lady on box rest is doing this. Vet said that she is basicially emotionally blackmailing me. When I pick her feet out she pulls the one which is/was the most sore away from me so I put it down and fuss her. Anyone else on the yard can pick up all the feet no problem and pick them out. :confused:
Also like today I was busy cleaning out the feed room whilst her lunch was soaking, she still had some hay from morning net left but for whatever reason wanted new and fresh.
So shes stood at the back sulking, looking like a horse who is having a hard life. Every time I went in and out of the feed room though she would give me a long hard stare like >:mad:. Then when I closed the door to the feed room she came swiftly to the door and was staring at me with massive eyes and pricked ears!
Madame -_- :rolleyes: