curly coats

Capriole

Visit site
my new mare has a really odd coat, it all grows in different directions and when wet is really curly, she reminds me of those long haired guinea pigs.
i imagine she'll be a problem to clip, does anyone else have a curly coated horse?

Capriole

Visit site
its not cushings, shes quite young and its only curly when wet
smile.gif

Capriole

Visit site
i'll have to take some pics, havent bothered to so far as i didnt like her at first.
16.1 chestnut id/th chesnut mare, 11-12ish

Capriole

Visit site
mainly on her front end, but the direction of her hair goes every which way, you know how yore supposed to clip against the hair? well, she's like a patchwork quilt and every little section points opposite ways, the hair on her forelegs points upwards, her belly hair grows forwards towards her head, and so on

ive never noticed her squeak, maybe if i poke her
smile.gif

bexandspooky

Visit site
Spooks can be a bit like that - he has such a thick coat that when he sweats, it goes really curly and takes hours to dry.

I give him a hunter clip every year because it drove me nuts!

I just make sure he is very clean and dry and never have any probs to clip him - have to make sure the blades are sharp and the clippers have plenty of grunt though - it is quite a coat to get through!!

Capriole

Visit site
she takes forever to dry too, iwish id clipped her, but i didnt start riding her till feb and i thought it was a bit late, should have done it anyway!