Current horse market - am I being unrealistic?

gallopingby

Visit site
Whilst l agree there are lots of time wasting sellers and buyers l think you have to be prepared to travel unless you are lucky and find one at a reasonable price from a known contact. Once you’re in the car distance shouldn’t really matter, yes it’s a hassle having to find people to look after stock at home but for the right horse it’s worth the journey, although you’ll probably still have to be quick.

Cob Life

Visit site
I’ve been casually looking and found some smart horses for under 7.5k however I am looking 14.3-16hh which seem to be cheaper.

SO1

Visit site
This one is nice but in Scotland maybe consider anything at 8k with a view to putting in at offer at 7.5k https://www.horsemart.co.uk/rocket-stunning-horse-/Horses/651010

I think if you live in an expensive area it may be in your interest to invest some time to travel to see horses in cheaper areas to get better value for money. I know it is a pain and fuel is expensive but if this is going to be your equine partner for the next 10 years + it may be a sound investment.

I didn't realise people were using large bank loans to finance horses I presumed it was savings so I understand how people are able to get the funds to buy these horses and in some ways that is also fuelling the price rises.

Kaylum

Visit site
Wolkenderry has his own Facebook page and seems to keep track of a lot of his offspring. I would be sending a message to his page to see what info you can find out.

Bobthecob15

Visit site
I think you need to be prepared to travel, we spent hours driving round the UK looking at horses for my daughter it was a nightmare! We ended up buying one 4hrs away but it was definitely worth the miles finding the right thing x

Lady Jane

Visit site
I have seen this one! Unfortunately he’s about 6 hours from me which is just too far ?
Horses will be a bit cheaper in less accessible places, it may be a compromise which can find your ideal horse. I would want lots of video before I travelled that distance and the seller should understand why. Good luck

Equine|Divine

Visit site
This sounds very similar to the horse I had vetted last week. I was totally gutted when the vet said it was lame on a small circle. I guess the issue is yeah, lots of people want a similar horse to me but the amount available doesn't meet the demand! I think this is why I am also feeling really disheartened - tried to not get excited about this horse just in case this happened, but its still a blow when it does! Especially since I could really see myself with it.

I have been thinking of going down this route instead. I just worry that I lack the experience to do an unbroken horse justice! I have plenty of more knowledgeable people around me at my yard who would of course help plus my YO is an instructor too, I guess that it boils down to more of a self confidence issue because I've not ridden properly (other than walk hacking) for so long.

I'll have to ask around/see if I can research any breeders of the type I want as at the moment it does seem this is going to be the most realistic route to go down.

If you have plenty of help then that's good! I also have struggled with my confidence in the past but have found that if I do a lot of groundwork with a horse and know that they're looked after well (saddle, teeth, physio/chiropractor etc... checked regularly) then I have more confidence in the horse.

When searching for someone to break in a horse for you (if you do decide on this route) then I would thoroughly look into each person. For example, I know that the person I will be using takes steps to ensure the pony is confident with things either side of their body as well as things above them, before they even back them. They break it all down so that the pony understands and feels more secure/confident. With this great start it rules out the chance of them having a bad ridden experience.

I have previously had a pony back in 2016 that had been ridden for a good amount of it's adult life and it still didn't work out. I had a fall that took me a long time to get over, more with my confidence than anything. I had to sell the pony to someone more experienced than me at the time, but have recently found out that she is now a brood mare because she isn't happy with ridden work at all even though she is physically okay. With the knowledge that I have gained from being in a professional yard with well looked after horses that have some quirks (some ex race horses), I have realised that I'm much better getting a clean slate of a pony straight from the breeder with just the very basics (can be handled, stabled, tied up etc...). I know that the pony will not have been 'ruined' by anyone (physically or mentally). If anything goes wrong, it's all on me, but at least I will know the source of that problem and can work out how to sort it. That makes me feel a lot happier and more confident, knowing that I am in control of how this pony will feel about ridden work.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Im another that would say dont dismiss an ex racer, unless you have very specific reasons for doing so. I really didnt want a TB of any description, Im purely a "rides when she feels like it" girl now and any horse of mine does very little of anything really other than be spoiled rotten. I went to look at one purely because if you took "OTTB" out of his sales ad he was damn near my perfect horse, plus he was literally 5 miles away! His only quirk was that he couldnt be left in a stable without a neighbour, he went completely mental. Other than that he would turn out alone, tie up alone in the barn (it was just being stabled that flipped his lid), travel alone, hack alone, totally bombproof, even a hot air balloon descending at speed in the field next to our school didnt bother him and low flying aircraft didnt even merit a snort. A child could handle him and he was capable of doing so much more than I ever needed. You could be pleasantly surprised. Ive got a highland now, coudnt be more different but sometimes hes a bigger plonker than my TB ever was :)

HashRouge

Visit site
I appreciate that the OP needs to be willing to travel, but I think 6 hours one way would be a bit much for most people! That's a 12 hour round trip in one day, plus viewing the horse, or an overnight stay. That plus the current cost of fuel all adds £££ to the budget! Plus it is one heck of a long way to go to find out that the horse is not what she wants.

IrishMilo

Visit site
I appreciate that the OP needs to be willing to travel, but I think 6 hours one way would be a bit much for most people! That's a 12 hour round trip in one day, plus viewing the horse, or an overnight stay. That plus the current cost of fuel all adds £££ to the budget! Plus it is one heck of a long way to go to find out that the horse is not what she wants.

I thought the same. After 6 hours of driving I'd be tempted to bring any old donkey back with me!