Current tow car needs upgrading- what should i replace it with?

hackedoff

Visit site
I am looking at upgrading my current tow car (Vauxhall Antara). I only ever tow one pony weighing 456kg I would not be tempted to tow two as she will only travel with the partitions out as she likes to stand at an angle or bob in the middle of the box (I have a trailer cam!), I currently tow an ifor 510 but may sell this in spring as I would like a trailer with living.

I cannot afford a discovery or Mitsubishi but can afford a reasonable mid price range bigger new tow vehicle, so my options so far are:

• Kia Sorento
  • Sansyung Repton, or
  • Keep current trailer or change to a newer single IFor and go for a big estate car. My concern with an estate
car is that my trailer lives at the yard and yard car park is earth surface and on a hillside so a car might not be able to shunt it back and forth.

I did consider a smaller fiat car and a little Renault box but concerned that a box would rot or cease up in winter when it is too icy to get of the yard.

Moomin1

Visit site
I've just bought a Kia Sorento and absolutely love it. Though mine is the older version as I need to tow my giant 16.3hh mare and the newer ones don't quite have the towing capacity as the older ones.

coss

Visit site
how about a hyundi (tucson i think but can't remember off the top of my head which is the one that is basically the same as sorento) - or buy a newer antara and keep current trailer/change to 403? I've got an antara that i tow a single trailer with and all the horses seem to travel well in a single box as plenty room.

dixie

Visit site
I've a Ssangyong Rexton and it's a great towing car. You could probably get away with buying a smaller type vehicle tho as the Rexton is quite long - not sure what tho.

Fiona

Visit site
Our Skoda Octavia 4x4 estate car tows on and off grass at pony club better than some of the jeeps :)

I would thoroughly recommend if you only tow with one...

Fiona

xDundryx

Visit site
Mitsubish outlander fab towing, cheap tax and good fuel economy we tow a 506 and 16 2hh and you wouldn't even know it was on the back. Have towed both horses( 16 2 and 15 2 TBs) not exceeded the limit and it's gone like a dream.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Our Skoda Octavia 4x4 estate car tows on and off grass at pony club better than some of the jeeps :)

I would thoroughly recommend if you only tow with one...

Fiona
Fiona, we keep posting about the Skoda Octavia estates, we could produce a joint statement and just past it into these threads, couldn't we?!

Skoda Octavia 4x4s rock! And are good economical everyday cars.

OP, go to ROG's stickied thread on towing, I think its in C&T, there's lots of good advice on there.

ROG

Visit site
I am looking at upgrading my current tow car (Vauxhall Antara). I only ever tow one pony weighing 456kg I would not be tempted to tow two as she will only travel with the partitions out as she likes to stand at an angle or bob in the middle of the box (I have a trailer cam!), I currently tow an ifor 510 but may sell this in spring as I would like a trailer with living.

I cannot afford a discovery or Mitsubishi but can afford a reasonable mid price range bigger new tow vehicle, so my options so far are:

• Kia Sorento
  • Sansyung Repton, or
  • Keep current trailer or change to a newer single IFor and go for a big estate car. My concern with an estate
car is that my trailer lives at the yard and yard car park is earth surface and on a hillside so a car might not be able to shunt it back and forth.

I did consider a smaller fiat car and a little Renault box but concerned that a box would rot or cease up in winter when it is too icy to get of the yard.

I hope YOU are not looking at interior trailer camera view when driving because that would be illegal

Do you have B or B+E licence ?

Luci07

Visit site
A trailer with living becomes very heavy. Equitrek show (I think!) with pull down bed etc clocks in around the 1360 kg mark. An interesting option we saw at Hickstead was a caravan tent/add on looking at supplying the equine industry. Said tent we saw used pumps to blow up and attached to the side of the lorry. Even had a little corridor between the lorry and tent so you could take off filthy gear. Tent was full height. Took around 4 minutes to out up, cost around £400. Now I fully appreciate that putting up a tent at a show could be tricky with space but I would happily park away for the convenience and of course staying away would be brilliant. Whatever you look at, do look at the weights really carefully first!

Kat

Visit site
Look at a pick up truck, we found we could get a pick up that would tow 3t cheaper than even a very budget 4x4. They are often part time 4wd so more fuel efficient and they class as a van for tax and insurance so loads cheaper.

Fiona

Visit site
Fiona, we keep posting about the Skoda Octavia estates, we could produce a joint statement and just past it into these threads, couldn't we?!

Skoda Octavia 4x4s rock! And are good economical everyday cars.

OP, go to ROG's stickied thread on towing, I think its in C&T, there's lots of good advice on there.

Lol.... I think Skoda should sponsor us, we certainly give them enough plugs :)

Fiona