Cushings and stories

bensababy

Visit site
Hello, my pony was recently diagnosed with cushings about 4 months ago after a very random bout of Laminitis, he was put on Pergolide which after a month he flatly refused to eat - i literally ran out of ideas to get the tablets down him - when he did eat them he seememed to have bad side effects and was looking down and miserable.

After much consideration and attempts at getting the little sod to eat, i made the decision to do some internet research on herbal treatments and success stories. I spoke to several people who recommended Chasteberry (a supplement called Cushylife) and Echincea. He has now been on this for a few weeks and i am aready beginning to notice a difference.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had any of them same problems and if anyone has also taken a herbal route, i would love to hear some stories.

thank you.

tangotime

Visit site
Hi, my old pony has been diagnosed with Cushings several years ago and has been on Pergolide ever since. How did you try and give the tablets?

There have been a few studies involving Cjasteberry supplements, non of which showed to have any significant effect so maybe you want to discuss how to get the tablets into the pony with your vets before dismissing Pergolide

bensababy

Visit site
i have tried hiding it in every kind of food possible, syringing it down him with apple juice but he spits it back out. I have consulted my vet with this and she has suggested to keep trying when i can with the tablets.

shell1978

Visit site
I used Chasteberries when my horse was diagnosed in the early stages of cushings, I did see an immediate improvement, but I must stress that within a few months the symptoms returned pretty quickly. I put her straight on Pergolide which was excellent. I would strongly recommend that you persist with Pergolide as its probably the best medication to keep it under control.

Can you not put the tablet inside a carrott, or give with a polo?

I wish you the very best with your pony!

nativepony

Visit site
Hello, i have a mare who was diagnosed with cushings recently and started off with one tablet of pergolide which I gave in her tea. She then had to increase to 2 tablets and also went off her feed a little so have started giving her both tablets in a hollowed out carrot or a piece of apple with the tablets pushed inside - she eats either with no problem.

Hope you have some success!

Kenthorseluvva

New User
Visit site
My daughters pony has cushings and is on 1 tablet of pergolide daily, I crush it up in her feed. The tablets are so small that it is easily lost amongst the chaff etc and I damp her feeds down too. We went through the tablet in apple/carrot stage, and in fluid and syringed into mouth with no success at all and a very stressed pony. I left it a couple of days for her to forget about it and then started crushing it up in her feed as mentioned with instant success:D