Cushings - does it cause EXCESSIVE itching?? ... Is LucyN there?

Eaglestone

Visit site
Not Motor in this instance I may add
blush.gif

I ride a super 15.3/16hh Teddy Bear (very fluffy and the same colour
blush.gif
) who is over 30 years old.

In the summer he suffered from Pin Worm (as his owner actually saw them
shocked.gif
) and was suitably wormed and Vet's advice was taken.

This did not stop his scratching to the extent that he drew blood around his tail and and anus and was completely bald
frown.gif
... also virtually demolished his wooden stable and has now moved to an internal, more solid one! He has also scratched so much that he has fallen over
frown.gif

The Vet then suggested it may be lice and that a Sheep/Cattle wormer may help. She also said that he may be suffering from Cushings and that his immune system was compromised .......

He then decided that his face was itchy and has now got all bald patches around his mouth.

When he is ridden out (by me!) he is as happy as larry and forgets all about it
smirk.gif

His very concerned owner has asked me if putting him on Pergolide would help
confused.gif
confused.gif
.... I have said I really do not know and that a chat to the Vet would be best, but that I would also pose this question on HHO ......

So any help or advice would be gratefully received.

Thank you in advance
grin.gif

** Also in Vets as desperate **

Eaglestone

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
My vet gave me a antifungal etc shampoo for my old pony with cushings, for something that sounds similar to yours, it cleared up since *touch wood*

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for that advice, BRNT
smile.gif
.... will pass this info on to the owner .... BTW she has known Punch since he was 5 years old I believe
ooo.gif
grin.gif

china

Visit site
get the vet to test for cushings (if they can, prety sure they can test for it), we have a horse at work on pergaloid. iv not heard of itching with cushings but anything is possible, ours suffered from laminitis from it.

Lucy_Nottingham

Visit site
Id say get him tested if possible to clarify, but due to age there is a likely chance that if suffering from cushings the immune system might be compromised in which case yes pergolide is the best bet to minimise this suppression as it reduces the excessive cortisol release which is what compromises the immune system so............

Id also get a skin scrape and scellotape test done to test for any skin tests, it sounds like at the moment the vet is trying to treat a problem without knowing what it is (which often works but not always, and this seems like one of those times) so id start aiming for getting a diagnosis to allow the correct treatment.

This help some? sorry for taking so long to see your post
smile.gif

Lucy_Nottingham

Visit site
also, just as a point, if the horse has redworm infestation that will also compromise the immune system, and can cause itching as well and treating wont always get rid of the worms as they undergo hypobiosis within the gut wall. Something like panacur is the main wormer to sort it.

Also, sarcoptic mange I think is the mite that effect the trunk and head of the animal.......... could be chorioptic (but i think this is the one that does the legs) but this is where skin scrapes and scellotape tests will help diagnose!)

Persephone

Visit site
Don't know about the worm issue, but as you would know Eaglestone, infections under all that hair are very easy to get and miss.

That's all I can think off the top
smile.gif

brucea

Visit site
Slightly unconventional take from me

Is he out on grass? Does he get any sugars (molasses, wheat syrup etc) in his feeds. is he on a cereal based feed? If so consider removing these altogether. Could be caused by too much fructans/sugars

Are his poos normal or slightly soft? Does he have rings on his feet?

My experience has been that (putting aside the obvious lice, mange, sweet itch etc.) a horse that is itchy like this may be tripping on the edge of low grade laminitis and it's worthwhile paying attention to the diet.

We have one that has gone in and out of low grade laminitis over the years and an early warning sign from him is when he scrubs his tail out (maybe the poo becomes more acid and causes irritation, I don;t know the cause) but the pattern was quite regular.

brucea

Visit site
Neither did I until I looked into it after seeing it on two ponies regularly before they went footsore and had heat and pulses.

The other thing is subtle temperament changes before LGL is visible - irritable, pre-occupied, unhappy at any noise, disturbance, nippy with children etc...

It was all there to see. Only it clicked together for me after they were footy...now I watch for it closely.

Eaglestone

Visit site
Thanks LN et all
cool.gif
... I will pass all this info on to the owner, who will be very interested, as she is at her wits end ...... have learnt a lot tonight
smile.gif

sueeltringham

Visit site
My little Mini-Shetland is being treated for Cushings (Pergolide). Itchy sore skin has been one of her symptoms which her previous owner couldn't explain. She scrubs in the spring and Autumn until sore. We think she's very sensitive to feed and gets skin infections quite easily. I have read that this can be common in Cushing's ponies.

Cuffey

Visit site
My pony is insulin resistant and at 23 is showing long curly coat which I clip if he gets uncomfortable.
First had laminitis mid winter at age 15
Now always watching for any signs to catch early but still want him to live as normal a life as possible--I feed Yea-Sac to maintain ''good bugs'' in hind gut, agnus castis and extra magnesium as oxide.
When I look back long before he ever had lami--he had slow hoof growth even with supplementation, was never a pony you could leave tacked up--not even for a minute or he started to rub his head--he still does this the minute I put a headcollar on. His tail hairs do get broken at the top and his tail although very strong through the dock tends to lack hair lower down
So yes itching is probably a symptom of the condition

Eaglestone

Visit site
Thank you BE, Sueeltringham and Cuffey, I will pass this info on as well ....
smile.gif

.... and Cuffey thank you too for the advice on using Yea-Sac to maintain ''good bugs'' in hind gut & the magnesium as oxide, I did not know about that
cool.gif

brucea

Visit site
The other thing that might help is a liver tonic - we use |Ron Fields Remount 1

Been great for our guys, but every horse is different - but Ron will discuss it weith you of you call.