Cushings in dogs

ollierdog

Visit site
Hi my lovely 12 year old harrier has just been diagnosed with cushings, we are going to the vet tomorrow to discuss treatment and the pros and cons ect. Symptoms have included lots and lots of drinking(I have seen horses drink less), some very long toilet breaks and constantly being hungry. Has anyone had any experiences with cushings in dogs? What treatment was suggested and has this have a positive/negative effects? She seems very happy in herself and still very active, Iv done quite a lot of reading and it seems diet can help? Hopefully should know slightly more tomorrow morning but would be good to hear from others. Many thanks:)

Umbongo

Visit site
What tests has the dog had? There is usually a test for cushings, and then a further test to differentiate between pituitary gland cause or adrenal gland cause. If adrenal then this can also be confirmed sometimes with an ultrasound scan. I think pituitary cause is the most common. Adrenal masses can be surgically removed, although I have not seen this myself.

As far as I am aware the drug Trilostane (Vetoryl) is the only licensed treatment for cushings in dogs (for both pituitary and adrenal cause). I think there is another drug which only treats pituitary cause but I can't remember the name as I have never seen it be used.

I have seen a lot of dogs diagnosed with cushings and they have all gone on to do very well. Good luck with your dog!

Last edited:

paulineh

Visit site
My Springer Spaniel was thought to have Cushings, had all the symptoms so I had a blood test done. He also had a blood test done for his thyroid as the symptoms are very much the same. Lucky for him he was found to have Hypothyroidism and not Cushings. The treatment for his thyroid is easy to deal with. Has your vet done a blood test to check the thyroid levels.

ollierdog

Visit site
Thanks for the info so far, she's had full bloods which all looked very good followed by the first cushings test which has come back positive, she's having the second test to differentiate between the two types on Wednesday....the vet says we have to wait 7 days from after the last bloods. The vet mentioned vetroyl which is what she will start next week after the last test, depending on the result if it's adrenal she will have to be refered to liverpool for them to scan and operate if they feel its the best option.

satinbaze

Visit site
Our first cavalier had idiopathic cushings and responded very well on treatment which in those days was lysodron, unfortunately this is no longer licenced in dogs. A friend of mine has a Scottie that has atypical cushings which is aparantly a problem in scotties from USA where this dog lives. She is controlled on medication but vet monitors her very loosely as it may become typical cushings.
Good luck with your girl