Cushings medication

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
The yellow peril has been tested today for cushings and EMS, she is displaying classic symptoms. The vet was talking about her having 1/2 a tablet of pergolide a day if she tests positive.

Can someone break it to me gently how much this med costs and if its possible to get it at any of the online pharmacies? Being a naughty, difficult un-rideable 20 something year old Shetland x sec, A she will probably live until she is at least 40 so any savings would be great.

AJ & Kiz

Visit site
hi there

a pony at my old yard has cushings they used to give her human tablets for Parkinson i believe?? I will find out for u

AJ x

Sophstar

Visit site
What size tablet does the vet want to give? If they are giving you pergolide, that means its less than 1mg as thats the smallest prascend tablets come in and people obviously give half etc etc.

My brat pony was on 250mcg pergolide (smallest dose possible) and 100 x 250mcg pergolide tablets, the vet charged me £30 (then £6 P&P as too far to drive to just pick up tablets!) so only 30p a tablet. I wanted to get it online but then the cost of paying for the vet to give me a prescription, plus P&P AND the tablets...well just easier to get it from the vet directly:rolleyes:

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
What size tablet does the vet want to give? If they are giving you pergolide, that means its less than 1mg as thats the smallest prascend tablets come in and people obviously give half etc etc.

My brat pony was on 250mcg pergolide (smallest dose possible) and 100 x 250mcg pergolide tablets, the vet charged me £30 (then £6 P&P as too far to drive to just pick up tablets!) so only 30p a tablet. I wanted to get it online but then the cost of paying for the vet to give me a prescription, plus P&P AND the tablets...well just easier to get it from the vet directly:rolleyes:

Not sure what dose he will give, he just said she will probably need 1/2 tablet, all hypothetical ATM. 30p per tablet or even £1 per tablet would be bearable. Its typical, I will probably have both my oldies on permanent medication now that they are too old to be covered by illness on their insurance!

Sophstar

Visit site
Its typical, I will probably have both my oldies on permanent medication now that they are too old to be covered by illness on their insurance!

haha...my friend got her pony's blood results back confirming cushings the day after her insurance renewed and ruled out cover for cushings. needless to say she was angry!

The_snoopster

Visit site
I have a shettie and a cob mare who both have cushings, my vet charges me £1.24 per tablet. However if I get a prescription off them which is £15 and order them from medivet, they work out at 93p per tablet. And incase your interested I found a great facebook site where all the members have horses who have cushings or some form of metabolic syndrone problems, I have found it very useful. Just search for (equine cushings disease) and you will find lots of people there with great advice, or just a place to have a grumble about cushings itself.

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
I have a shettie and a cob mare who both have cushings, my vet charges me £1.24 per tablet. However if I get a prescription off them which is £15 and order them from medivet, they work out at 93p per tablet. And incase your interested I found a great facebook site where all the members have horses who have cushings or some form of metabolic syndrone problems, I have found it very useful. Just search for (equine cushings disease) and you will find lots of people there with great advice, or just a place to have a grumble about cushings itself.

Great - will check it out, thanks