Cushings: please help me

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
Not read all the replies. A cushings diagnosis is actually really positive! It's so easily managed with medication, and in the grand scheme of horses, the medication isn't even really expensive.

I had my little mare tested only because she held her winter coat a bit longer than I expected. But since she's been on the prascend I've noticed soooo many other improvements (no crib biting, less gunky eyes, less footy, a much better shape along her topline and a reduction in her weird fat pads, and generally perkier overall)

It might take a few weeks to settle on the prascend, but I bet you notice a very significant difference all round. Cushings is so common, and so easily managed these days, I wouldn't be at all worried about the diagnosis x

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
It always used to be seen as more of a thing small hairy ponies got so a few years ago I had the same shock as you when I tested H (15.2hh Welsh D) for Cushings as he was displaying some of the symptoms and it came back positive. I think he was quite close to the level that meant he had it so I had the option of waiting or starting prascend. I chose to start prascend as I would rather intervene early as while it can't be cured I'd rather intervene early to try and get it under control ASAP.
I like you plan to introduced it gradually, following advice on here about the "veil" effect it can cause when first introduced.

I can't actually remember how long he's been on it, I think he started on 1, he's now on 1 and a half a day and has been for a couple of years. I do have a "maximum" number of tablets ill be able to go to in mind as I can't afford to go beyond a certain amount and how well will he be if he needs that many

I mainly ride at weekends and just hacking so he does lack muscle tone so I can't just say this is due to cushings and he does get some of the classic longer cushings hair on his tummy that is slower to fall out in summer.

However the vet visited the other day for his blood test and said she can't believe how good he is looking!

My vet who visited 2 years ago for his teeth and blood test was really helpful and directed me to a website called care about Cushings and I can get a yearly voucher for them which covers the cost of a blood test- you still pay lab/ vet fees etc but it saves about £50. Definitely recommend looking into, they were really helpful when I lost the voucher they emailed me 5 Months before his test as well.

Definitely the impact to the bank balance is not good! It definitely seems there's a lot more knowledge about the condition now and more horses than you'd think have it

H initially took his in a hand fed piece of apple as I wanted to make sure he took it. He soon got wise to it and refused the apple! So now the apple containing it just goes in his feed and he eats it

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Don't worry about it, congratulate yourself on finding one of his issues and being able to out it right!

In comparison, I just bought a new horse, who was just finishing box rest for lami, has tested positive for EMS and was almost in the cushings range. Yes, I voluntarily bought him, knowing that next year he will likely need cushings meds.

I suspect, if I had tested him this autumn, he would already be in range for cushings, but the vet advised that, as he has lost loads of weight this summer, and is now in a home where he will eat no, or maybe VERY limited grass, he may stabilise. So, as he will be safe (I hope!) over winter, I am delaying the re-test.

I still expect that next year we will be on the meds though. Small price to pay for a lovely horse who makes me smile every day.

A query for those in the know, is it possible to get a spring free test like it is an autumn one?

Every little helps :p

Keira 8888

Visit site
https://www.animeddirect.co.uk/prascend-1mg-tablets-for-horses

animed are charging £1.06 ATM. If you shop around google you may get it a couple of pence a tablet cheaper. You get a prescription from the vet (ours charges £15 and gives it for one month and 6 repeats) yours will depend on how your vet operates. Get the prescription sent by E mail, save it and then register on animed, there will be a space to enter Prince's details and to link the prescription. Then just go on monthly and order what you need.

STAY CALM. all will be fine. :D:D:D:D
Thank you!!!! ?

Keira 8888

Visit site
It always used to be seen as more of a thing small hairy ponies got so a few years ago I had the same shock as you when I tested H (15.2hh Welsh D) for Cushings as he was displaying some of the symptoms and it came back positive. I think he was quite close to the level that meant he had it so I had the option of waiting or starting prascend. I chose to start prascend as I would rather intervene early as while it can't be cured I'd rather intervene early to try and get it under control ASAP.
I like you plan to introduced it gradually, following advice on here about the "veil" effect it can cause when first introduced.

I can't actually remember how long he's been on it, I think he started on 1, he's now on 1 and a half a day and has been for a couple of years. I do have a "maximum" number of tablets ill be able to go to in mind as I can't afford to go beyond a certain amount and how well will he be if he needs that many

I mainly ride at weekends and just hacking so he does lack muscle tone so I can't just say this is due to cushings and he does get some of the classic longer cushings hair on his tummy that is slower to fall out in summer.

However the vet visited the other day for his blood test and said she can't believe how good he is looking!

My vet who visited 2 years ago for his teeth and blood test was really helpful and directed me to a website called care about Cushings and I can get a yearly voucher for them which covers the cost of a blood test- you still pay lab/ vet fees etc but it saves about £50. Definitely recommend looking into, they were really helpful when I lost the voucher they emailed me 5 Months before his test as well.

Definitely the impact to the bank balance is not good! It definitely seems there's a lot more knowledge about the condition now and more horses than you'd think have it

H initially took his in a hand fed piece of apple as I wanted to make sure he took it. He soon got wise to it and refused the apple! So now the apple containing it just goes in his feed and he eats it
Thanks so much for all this info. I’m so glad H is doing well. I will have to hide Princes in a piece of apple too! He used to love a polo or stud muffin - do you think I need to cut absolutely all sugar out now? Should I limit his grazing? His current field has lots of grass. I fear that my inexperience may mean my management of his cushings won’t be right. At least I have him on pink mash which is very low in sugar and starch. It’s just his access to grass that I’m worried about x

shamrock2021

Visit site
A least you found out in time I now someone horse died from it because it was caught to late and the horse developed laminitis as a result. I feel sorry for you it’s a terrible disease especially if they developed it young like you’re horse did. It expensive disease the medicine is expensive and sometimes as horse get older they need a higher doses.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Thanks so much for all this info. I’m so glad H is doing well. I will have to hide Princes in a piece of apple too! He used to love a polo or stud muffin - do you think I need to cut absolutely all sugar out now? Should I limit his grazing? His current field has lots of grass. I fear that my inexperience may mean my management of his cushings won’t be right. At least I have him on pink mash which is very low in sugar and starch. It’s just his access to grass that I’m worried about x

I honestly couldn't advise, others may be best to, I think it is advised but H has to be in one of the more bare paddocks as he's naughty to catch in grassy ones!

JackFrost

Visit site
To the best of my experience he can continue on grass. At this time of year it's not that rich anyway. There is an overlap between EMS and Cushings, gets complicated but they are not the same. Cushings horses are usually managed in a fairly normal way once on prascend, but be doubly careful about him getting podgy and if you feed him as if he's laminitic (even though he's not) that will give you peace of mind. x

Mari

Visit site
My horse was diagnosed last year. He’s a fussy feeder & I have learned to research any feed I might be considering. The starch + sugar content needs to add up to maximum 10%. A lot of feeds say they’re low starch but often are not low enough.

Northern Hare

Visit site
Please don't despair! My horse (TBxWB) was on a veterinary trial in his late teens and he didn’t have Cushings to start with. Within a month or so of another perfectly clear trial test, he became a bit footy, so was re-tested and hey presto he had a really high ACTH score, so we new he’d only had it for a short time.

He started on Prascend (1 a day) but in hindsight I wish I had introduced it more slowly, by a qtr a day. There’s a depression they sometimes get when they start on Prascend called the “Prascend Veil”. For my horse he seemed to lose his spark a bit, and his appetite. We tried numerous different feeds but in the end found he liked Topspec Balancer and their conditioning cubes. Once we got his feed sorted out he quickly picked up again.

He did really well on the Prascend until we sadly lost him this March due to non-Cushings related issues - he was 28 and had been on Prascend for about 8 years. He had increased from 1 x tablet to 1.25 x tablets a day over that time.

Ref treats, you do need to cut out as much sugar as possible from his diet, so if you usually give him polos, you can buy the sugar free version. They’re also handy for giving him the tablet as it fits perfectly down the centre of two polo mints!! ?

Have a chat with your vet about his grazing. For my horse he wore a grazing muzzle (a Greenguard) from the Spring to late autumn, so he was able to go out with all the other horses. That meant he still got the movement around the field, rather being confined in a small turnout paddock or pen.

As far as buying the Prascend tablets, if you buy online you need to factor in the cost of the Prescription - and also for probably 2 x ACTH blood tests a year until he’s stabilised. Some vets will give a Prescription for a whole year’s supply, others just for one big box (160).

Check with your vet on pricing if you buy a box of 160. My vets did a deal that for each box of 160 tablets you got a voucher for a blood test (not incl. call out), which meant that when you took into account the ACTH test cost and the Prescription, that the tablets were about the same price as online.

Good luck, I’m sure everything will slot into place - I know I felt like there was a lot to take in when my horse was diagnosed.

Last edited:

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i think if you get the prascend right he should be able to go in the field as normal. the tablets only control the symptoms and dont cure the disease .. some horses seem to manage very well and the disease doesnt progress very quickly, some, like mine, progress very quickly, but i still had her for 5 years after diagnosis so its not all bad. my vet said i could treat her as normal regarding grazing but to keep any feeds very low sugar. i rode mine till she was 25 (march) and PTS sept as she became footy and vet suspected low grade laminitis,and i didnt want her to be stabled and restrict her grazing. quality of life was paramount for me and i dont regret my decision but miss her every day..good luck

Keira 8888

Visit site
Please don't despair! My horse (TBxWB) was on a veterinary trial in his late teens and he didn’t have Cushings to start with. Within a month or so of another perfectly clear trial test, he became a bit footy, so was re-tested and hey presto he had a really high ACTH score, so we new he’d only had it for a short time.

He started on Prascend (1 a day) but in hindsight I wish I had introduced it more slowly, by a qtr a day. There’s a depression they sometimes get when they start on Prascend called the “Prascend Veil”. For my horse he seemed to lose his spark a bit, and his appetite. We tried numerous different feeds but in the end found he liked Topspec Balancer and their conditioning cubes. Once we got his feed sorted out he quickly picked up again.

He did really well on the Prascend until we sadly lost him this March due to non-Cushings related issues - he was 28 and had been on Prascend for about 8 years. He had increased from 1 x tablet to 1.25 x tablets a day over that time.

Ref treats, you do need to cut out as much sugar as possible from his diet, so if you usually give him polos, you can buy the sugar free version. They’re also handy for giving him the tablet as it fits perfectly down the centre of two polo mints!! ?

Have a chat with your vet about his grazing. For my horse he wore a grazing muzzle (a Greenguard) from the Spring to late autumn, so he was able to go out with all the other horses. That meant he still got the movement around the field, rather being confined in a small turnout paddock or pen.

As far as buying the Prascend tablets, if you buy online you need to factor in the cost of the Prescription - and also for probably 2 x ACTH blood tests a year until he’s stabilised. Some vets will give a Prescription for a whole year’s supply, others just for one big box (160).

Check with your vet on pricing if you buy a box of 160. My vets did a deal that for each box of 160 tablets you got a voucher for a blood test (not incl. call out), which meant that when you took into account the ACTH test cost and the Prescription, that the tablets were about the same price as online.

Good luck, I’m sure everything will slot into place - I know I felt like there was a lot to take in when my horse was diagnosed.
This is great - thanks so much xx

Keira 8888

Visit site
Final question - sorry guys!!!!

I have held off clipping him as he isnt doing much work beyond a walk or two a week. I was hoping to keep his natural winter coat but do you think a horse with cushings should def be clipped for winter despite not being in much work? I may well start lunging him several times a week now that his gastro guard is over. Just for 10 mins or so at first. What type of clip (if any) would you suggest?

Thank you!

Julie Ole Girl

Visit site
My 20 year old was diagnosed but I refused any Prascend, sorry I don't do chemical stuff. She's on Chaste Berry (Cush Pro) and she's in great health, gets a bit sweaty but loves her work.

Northern Hare

Visit site
One thing with with Cushings horses is that they can become more susceptible to skin complaints. For my horse we had to be super careful that he wasn't over rugged, as if he sweated under his turnout he'd end up with rug rot / rainscald across his quarters. He seemed to find out more difficult to regulate his body temperature.

It becomes a fine balance - my horse would drop condition seemingly overnight so I needed to make sure he didn't get cold, but equally wanted to avoid him getting too warm. Turnout rugs with liners we're handy so you can adjust the rug weights more easily and keep the liners super clean.

Although he wasn't in much work, our vet recommended fully clipping him and that worked really well and it was easier to keep a close eye on any skin problems before they got hold.

Winters100

Visit site
My 20 year old was diagnosed but I refused any Prascend, sorry I don't do chemical stuff. She's on Chaste Berry (Cush Pro) and she's in great health, gets a bit sweaty but loves her work.

It is an interesting viewpoint. Is te Chaste Berry working? And if it did not would you revise your opinion in order to make your horse comfortable?

Keira 8888

Visit site
One thing with with Cushings horses is that they can become more susceptible to skin complaints. For my horse we had to be super careful that he wasn't over rugged, as if he sweated under his turnout he'd end up with rug rot / rainscald across his quarters. He seemed to find out more difficult to regulate his body temperature.

It becomes a fine balance - my horse would drop condition seemingly overnight so I needed to make sure he didn't get cold, but equally wanted to avoid him getting too warm. Turnout rugs with liners we're handy so you can adjust the rug weights more easily and keep the liners super clean.

Although he wasn't in much work, our vet recommended fully clipping him and that worked really well and it was easier to keep a close eye on any skin problems before they got hold.
This is very interesting - thank you. And also the exact problem I have at the moment! I currently have him naked in the field with just a small clip and I have a liner system so I can go up 50g a time when needed. Keeping him at that ideal point of not being too cold and not being too hot is the tricky thing! Luckily I live just 1 minute from his yard so I can rug or de-rug quite quickly if needed! Thanks for your reply x

Annagain

Visit site
He's looking really good Keira, you've done so well with him. The way you take advice so readily is brilliant.

A couple of people have mentioned it but just to make sure - don't panic if he gets a little depressed or loses his appetite on the Prascend at first. It's a fairly common side effect and usually wears off after a couple of weeks. At least he has a little bit of a cushion if he does lose his appetite and loses a bit of weight! Once you get the dosage right you'll be flying.

Keira 8888

Visit site
He's looking really good Keira, you've done so well with him. The way you take advice so readily is brilliant.

A couple of people have mentioned it but just to make sure - don't panic if he gets a little depressed or loses his appetite on the Prascend at first. It's a fairly common side effect and usually wears off after a couple of weeks. At least he has a little bit of a cushion if he does lose his appetite and loses a bit of weight! Once you get the dosage right you'll be flying.
Thanks so much - that means a lot to me. Thank you ?. I am a little nervous about the first weeks but I will keep it in my mind that it’s perfectly normal and he will come out the other side better for it. Xx

Tarragon

Visit site
One of my ponies has been on Prascend for 4 years now. When he got to the age of 16 I decided to give him a special MOT so that I could be prepared for the next 10 years, and the MOT included a blood test for cushings, purely because it was free at the time and not because he was showing any of the symptoms! I think I caught it early because of that and so he responded very well to the treatment.
The only thing to mention is that the only way I can get him to take that tiny tablet, is by putting it straight into his cheek. I tried all the tricks in the trade about feeding it to him but nothing worked for long. It is amazing how they know when you are trying to smuggle it in!
Apparently, they think that most of the Thewell ponies must have had it, as they are hairy, big bellys and big eyes. Most people didn't know about it then or treat it. It must have affected a huge proportion of ponies.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
he is looking very well, i did that same clip on my cushings horse and carried on all year round to keep her comfy. i just clipped higher in the summer...i also used the same clip on my loan horse who didnt have cushings as i felt it kept their backs warm but was enough to stop her sweating when worked....good luck with prince i am sure you will cope fine...